Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th May 2009, 02:13 AM   #11
bsfweb

1. You would want to consider choosing a few social networks you enjoy and/or who rank the highest and stick to those. Don't try to do them all. Otherwise you have another full time job! MySpace is number one at the moment and falling in second place is Facebook. Hubpages, Linkedin and Stumble Upon are other ones high up there to consider. A few of my friends recommend Twitter. Apparently it is rated high in the U.S. Twitter is a micro-blogging platform where you can send out short messages to your readers. You can get flashy with Squidoo where you can create fantastic looking photos or videos on your lens.

2. Don't just sign up without planning to participate to some degree. It is your participation that gets people to know you and build trust.

3. Make sure to fill out your profile information, the real personal you so that your potential customer gets to know who you are and you begin to build trust. Photo and web links are very important.

4. Once you have set yourself up, now it is time to socialize. You may post an article that is factual, relevant and helpful to your readers on some sites.

5. Surf around for others in the same field as you and make some friendships.

6. Give positive comments or shout about their blogs or sites.

7. Post a few 'shouts' a week and keep them public.

8. When someone follows you and asks for friendship, use your best judgment to do it back to them.

9. Keep your social networks fresh and don't leave them outdated. I confess I fail to do this sometimes.

10. When you 'shout' or post updates don't make them about "come buy or view my products or business". Instead give some relevant free tips or advice that are helpful for others to participate.

11. Set up a blog and post articles (best to write your own articles) so that others are aware of your websites. You can use WordPress or Blogger.com (both are free) to shine your expertise. A blog allows you to write short articles on topics pertinent to your customer base. Just make sure you write articles that have useful content to the readers so that they will keep coming back for more.

12. Participate in community forums that you enjoy. This will drive you some traffic.

I think this will surely help you get on with social networks :-)

bsfweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th May 2009, 09:57 AM   #12
elsoft

Send a message via Skype™ to elsoft
Smile

Hi bsfweb.Thanks for sharing real good insights on social networking.I agree with you ita all about participation and making new friends.I actually do much on myspace.I am more into mylot and facebook and I am active over these two sites.I should say I enjoy being part of these communities

Old 19th June 2009, 06:30 AM   #13
MRchamps

There is huge potential for social networking in business.They offer plenty of opportunities for business owners to reach out to potential customers and employees.
Most social networking sites have tools which allow users to add friends and network with people that share similar interests. Most websites have tools which allow you to exchange messages and display your connections to other users.
To find employees /Business Partners:LinkedIn is an online service designed to help professionals find and connect with one another. Users contact each other through a network of connections for the purpose of looking for jobs, business leads, and industry information.

Old 6th July 2009, 07:34 PM   #14
techsavvy16

Send a message via AIM to techsavvy16 Send a message via Yahoo to techsavvy16
Default Social Networking a Must!

Social media and networking has now become a necessity for millions of people, and the top visited websites right now are comprised of mostly social sites such as Twitter and Facebook. It is an inexpensive way for companies to gain a larger client base through narrowing down your target group and providing a more personalized customer experience.

Sales is inherently about building relationships, trust, and referrals. The diversity of social networking sites and online communities available today provide us with simple platforms to design compelling social selling strategies. Like it was said before in this forum, for a small percentage of companies it might not help, but for the majority it does somehow boost exposure and sales.

Has anyone on here engaged in any type of Social Selling?

techsavvy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 06:31 AM   #15
smeology

Default use of social media to smeology

I've found twitter really useful for gaining new ideas on business development, future technology and industry news

smeology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 02:20 AM   #16
Mr Money Maker

Social Networking to create a ton of backlinks is great if that's really what you're after.

But the real truth for myself Is I came online to make some real money and I have.

Here's a simple fact of life online, it you have a high ranked website on Google and Yahoo and ect.......then your traffic will be 90% higher, than if you had 25,000 backlinks !!.......it's far wiser to learn the skills of ranking your websites high on Google.

I create websites constantly, and have ranked over 118 webistes in the last year in the top spots on Google, My highest was number 1 in over 1.6 Billion Pages online, I do it over and over again, with my success rate at 99% to 100%....all the time. So I know websites can be ranked constantly, but you must know the real skills, and not the bunk that many so called Guru's try to teach you, people will misslead others........so do some research and learn.........so what if it take s you a year......you'll be so much smarter for it !!

Mr Money Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 11:19 AM   #17
spookycc

I have not done a great deal of marketing on the social networking sites. I joined facebook and myspace with that in mind, but one or the other (or both) wouldn't let me put my business URL anywhere on my home page or when I posted to someone else's page.

I did meet some interesting people, some of which I have done business with on the web, but I wasn't able to get my site *out there* like I had hoped I would be able to do.

The business networking sites have so many people on there, each with their own niche, that I didn't do a lot there. It seemed that everyone was already "doing their own thing" at those sites.

Best of luck!

spookycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 09:20 AM   #18
virtualme83

social networking helps you to reach to the unreached person in your network and get business or valuable advice or tips on your niche.

virtualme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:12 PM   #19
tazsolutions

Social bookmarking give you more index. using social bookmarking may give you boost oyur online sale in you business. Just only be creative..

tazsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 10:00 AM   #20
jeffreyftang

I'm mostly using social media as a way to grow my personal blog right now. However, I have had at least 3 qualified business prospects contact me through Twitter in the past few weeks, so it's definitely a great business tool as well.

jeffreyftang is offline   Reply With Quote