Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th March 2008, 05:02 PM   #11
marimo

But it all depends on the question, "What is you niche market?". Without knowing your niche market, you can never say with certainty which social site is best for your business. You are most likely going to get it wrong. You may jump to Facebook when the niche market for your business is at MySpace or Linked or Orkut. Most social networking sites target certain groups and behaviors. For example, those whose business revolve around music and sexy fashion have made it big on MySpace. Had they gone to Facebook, they might have attracted fewer customers.

IMHO

Regards,

MM

marimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th March 2008, 06:07 PM   #12
New Business

Default Facebook..

I think Facebook is easier to use than my Space plus there are a lot of options that u can use to start amrketing your business...

New Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 01:56 AM   #13
puti1

Default I agree that it depends on which markets you are targeting

I do agree with marimo that it really depends on which markets you are targeting. My experience is better with facebook. It is easier to manage and the navigation is rather easy. I do have a linkedin account but it seems that you have to pay if you are really serious about networking.

Overall, social networking site is here to stay and its really something that businesses cannot afford to ignore. But i also know there are a lot of doubts by companies about promoting via social networks. As i mentioned, it really depends a lot on your audience. If its a younger crowd, go for myspace, for 20s-40s, go for facebook, for business professionals, linkedin is a good one.

puti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 06:58 PM   #14
Jessika

I think that it really does just depend on who you are trying to reach. What's your niche? Myspace seems best for drawing in a younger audience, while Facebook seems more for for 20+ year olds.

I don't market on either one as of now, but I have used both for social purposes, and I can see Myspace as being easier to reach a larger number of people, but yet again, it depends on your niche.

Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 09:50 PM   #15
pitchyourbiz

I have found that facebook has proven the best results for me. I am also starting to use Twitter. I like that I can have business page and offer a link back to my friends.

pitchyourbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 02:39 PM   #16
Car1214

I have an account for both sites but I only use Facebook because I think it's easier to use and navigate. I thought Myspace was complicated to use and it seemed very unorganized. Facebook has fun applications to use and it attracts many people that way. You can come up with your own fun applications to promote your business.

Car1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 11:38 PM   #17
BMSprint

Send a message via ICQ to BMSprint Send a message via AIM to BMSprint Send a message via Yahoo to BMSprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieP View Post
Jose,

Thanks much for that detailed explanation re Facebook. I got the feeling that MySpace attracts a younger crowd and Facebook a seemingly more mature one. I didn't know that groups were more attractive to others than pages, and that there were 2 different types of group characteristics (business promo vs informational).

Thanks again,
Sophie
I would agree, if by more mature you meant MySpace was geared toward 14-16 year olds and Facebook was for 17-19 year olds. And Facebook was DEFINATELY not designed with "20s, 30s, 40s" in mind because it started as something only CURRENT Harvard students could use and grew and grew and grew... so a little bit older, but not much. I think older people simply like it more because Myspace is more of a mess than Facebook is, though it can be easily overcluttered as well with "applications" that often do essentially the same thing.

BMSprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 03:57 PM   #18
JohnCurrie

Are there any people who are actually making money using Facebook or MySpace - I would like to talk to some and pick their brains, so to speak.

JohnCurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 01:41 PM   #19
YearofMinutes

Default Facebook

I think Facebook is the better of the two because the business page/group has a much cleaner look vs. myspace, and the audience in general is one that is much more likely to be interested in new businesses and ideas.

YearofMinutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 06:12 PM   #20
ibuzzmentor

Facebook is more user friendly and has a higher caliber of buyer. Usually an older demographic. It is more of an interactive site. I have made a bunch of high ticket items sales on Facebook joining many groups that have real value and substance. So I vote for Facebook to generate me leads in my business over Myspace.

ibuzzmentor is offline   Reply With Quote