Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd December 2011, 05:47 AM   #1
trnz

Smile Replying To Comments, Etc,.

Hi All, My blog is beginning to show small signs of life. I'm told to get a 'signature'. Here is a piece I put at the bottom of my blog posts:

Are you one of The Happy People? If not go to http://happinessguru.wordpress.com Click on Follow and share this with a friend. Make them happy too. Love, Peace and Happiness, Tommy

Would this make a good signature?

Secondly, I am getting
Notices from Twitter that somebody is following me. Should I reply to these?
Emails from sites that somebody likes, is following me or has commented on my post.
Emails from people who have read my post.
Comments on my blog.
My email box is crammed and I am using too much time answering.
Should I be answering all or none or just some of these? If just some, which ones?

trnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
trnz

Unhappy No Reply?

Yikes! 98 views, no replies. I am desperate. I'm spending more time reading emails than writing my blog!!!! Please help.

trnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 03:35 AM   #3
melissacatwalk

The blog is nice, but may the topic you have chosen is not so popular and besides you blog is nofollow. If you make it dofollow, people will go and work with you.

Old 25th December 2011, 07:58 AM   #4
trnz

Smile Please explain

[.... besides you blog is nofollow. If you make it dofollow, people will go and work with you.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. Can you help me with: How to make it 'do follow'? Which people will work with me?
Tommy

Old 26th December 2011, 11:02 PM   #5
daveb1
VIP Contributor

Hi Tommy,

I would take the time to respond to everyone that is not spam. That is one of the best ways to generate an audience and become known. Even a brief / quick thank you and note on what they asked /commented on can go along way. The key is to know who to respond to in detail and to who to just send a quick automatic note (its good to have a few email templates around to be able to respond to people quicker especially if you get asked a lot of the same questions). I also like your signature and think its fine. Keep up the good work!

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 02:55 PM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnz View Post
Hi All, My blog is beginning to show small signs of life. I'm told to get a 'signature'. Here is a piece I put at the bottom of my blog posts:
I'm not sure what the people who told you this meant. You might want to ask them. Usually a "signature" is a traffic-building tool.

Putting a signature such as you listed at the bottom of your own blog posts (when the reader is already on the blog) isn't necessarily helpful. It would, however, be a good thing to use when/if you guest post on someone else's blog. You'd also want to use something like that as a signature on email messages and forum posts, again as a traffic-building tool to help direct people to your blog.

You do want to make sure on every blog post there are options to promote social sharing. You also want to give people the option to subscribe to the blog's RSS feed. Depending on the blog software you're using, there should be plugins/widgets available that will make all this fairly easy.

Quote:
Secondly, I am getting
You can send a "thanks for the follow" message to the new follower if you'd like, but it's not required. There are tools that will automate this, by sending a "canned" response to each new follower, but I don't recommend those as a rule. They come across as impersonal, which is not necessarily the impression you want to give people.

If you're not getting a ton of followers every day, a better approach might be to visit the new follower's profile and seeing if there's anything interesting or unique about them, and sending them a customized "thanks for the follow" message. But if you've got a lot of new followers, you don't have to respond to every one. In that case, perhaps limit yourself to "thanks for the follow" messages to new followers you really want to keep (those who are particularly influential in your circles, celebrities, people who are already your friends, etc.)

Quote:
Emails from sites that somebody likes, is following me or has commented on my post.
Comments on my blog.
You don't need to reply just because somebody has "liked" or followed you. Save your responses for when they've actually communicated something directly to you.

For instance, if someone has taken the time to send you a direct email, you should answer -- assuming they're not some crazy stalker who emails you every time you post. You don't need to write a dissertation for every single email you receive. Spend your time on the few where a longer response seems justified/necessary. For the rest, your response can be as simple as "Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you continue to find my blog useful!"

Similarly, you should be responding to comments on your blog, but you don't need to respond to each individual comment. You can "batch" replies, say once a day at first, then after the post is a few days old, go to once every other or every third day... You can even install a plug in that closes comments after a post gets "too" old (say, 30 days or 60 days or whatever you choose) so you don't have to worry about keeping up with comments on really old posts.

--Torka

Old 27th December 2011, 07:51 PM   #7
snellexperts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnz View Post

Are you one of The Happy People? If not go to http://happinessguru.wordpress.com Click on Follow and share this with a friend. Make them happy too. Love, Peace and Happiness, Tommy

Would this make a good signature?

Secondly, I am getting
Comments on my blog.
My email box is crammed and I am using too much time answering.
Should I be answering all or none or just some of these? If just some, which ones?
I like the signature, would possibly think about adding contact information though like site, phone, email, etc.

As for your second question, if it is not spam, and actually people commenting on your posts then I would say that it is very important to try to respond to as many of them as you can. If you are getting that much traffic, why don't you think about hiring someone for social network management. They can take care of your Facebook, Twitter, Google + accts...all of 'em. The last time I looked into it, its really not that expensive either.

snellexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 03:06 AM   #8
trnz

Default Thanks

Thanks

Old 31st December 2011, 03:07 AM   #9
trnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellexperts View Post
I like the signature, would possibly think about adding contact information though like site, phone, email, etc.

As for your second question, if it is not spam, and actually people commenting on your posts then I would say that it is very important to try to respond to as many of them as you can. If you are getting that much traffic, why don't you think about hiring someone for social network management. They can take care of your Facebook, Twitter, Google + accts...all of 'em. The last time I looked into it, its really not that expensive either.

Old 31st December 2011, 03:07 AM   #10
trnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
I'm not sure what the people who told you this meant. You might want to ask them. Usually a "signature" is a traffic-building tool.

Putting a signature such as you listed at the bottom of your own blog posts (when the reader is already on the blog) isn't necessarily helpful. It would, however, be a good thing to use when/if you guest post on someone else's blog. You'd also want to use something like that as a signature on email messages and forum posts, again as a traffic-building tool to help direct people to your blog.

You do want to make sure on every blog post there are options to promote social sharing. You also want to give people the option to subscribe to the blog's RSS feed. Depending on the blog software you're using, there should be plugins/widgets available that will make all this fairly easy.

You can send a "thanks for the follow" message to the new follower if you'd like, but it's not required. There are tools that will automate this, by sending a "canned" response to each new follower, but I don't recommend those as a rule. They come across as impersonal, which is not necessarily the impression you want to give people.

If you're not getting a ton of followers every day, a better approach might be to visit the new follower's profile and seeing if there's anything interesting or unique about them, and sending them a customized "thanks for the follow" message. But if you've got a lot of new followers, you don't have to respond to every one. In that case, perhaps limit yourself to "thanks for the follow" messages to new followers you really want to keep (those who are particularly influential in your circles, celebrities, people who are already your friends, etc.)

You don't need to reply just because somebody has "liked" or followed you. Save your responses for when they've actually communicated something directly to you.

For instance, if someone has taken the time to send you a direct email, you should answer -- assuming they're not some crazy stalker who emails you every time you post. You don't need to write a dissertation for every single email you receive. Spend your time on the few where a longer response seems justified/necessary. For the rest, your response can be as simple as "Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you continue to find my blog useful!"

Similarly, you should be responding to comments on your blog, but you don't need to respond to each individual comment. You can "batch" replies, say once a day at first, then after the post is a few days old, go to once every other or every third day... You can even install a plug in that closes comments after a post gets "too" old (say, 30 days or 60 days or whatever you choose) so you don't have to worry about keeping up with comments on really old posts.

--Torka