Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th October 2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Default Doing A Web Design Course - FINALLY!

I've finally made the big decision and am going back to school to do an Information Technology course on Web Design.

Whilst I already know enough to be 'dangerous' I am very keen to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

Here's my questions...

What are the best online resources for Web Design and Learning?

What do I need to know, what would you tell someone who is learning web design for the first time?

Thanks for taking the time to share you experience and knowledge. I really appreciate it.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th November 2011, 07:04 AM   #2
sbsl

w3 school is a best online learning for web development....go 2 google and search

sbsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 05:39 PM   #3
bluejay47

I agree, w3school is very informative. Also lynda.com is good if you like video tutorials or need to learn software. Have fun!

bluejay47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

You can also have a look at About.com they offer a free Web Design and HTML course that is sent out weekly by email. Another option would be Wikiversity. It's basically a web design university built on a Wiki platform.

Old 7th November 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Hi

Congratulations on your decision! That's excellent.

One thing to keep in mind as you develop your skills:

It's one thing to put up a site, quite another to get traffic to it. Depending upon your goals, you might want to incorporate learning to how to get free traffic into your studies so that your skills are well-rounded. Search engine traffic is fabulous, but social media marketing is becoming quite important.

Just some advice to help you with your enhancement steps!

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 02:32 PM   #6
jkennedy

Send a message via Skype™ to jkennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseTaylor View Post
Hi

Congratulations on your decision! That's excellent.

One thing to keep in mind as you develop your skills:

It's one thing to put up a site, quite another to get traffic to it. Depending upon your goals, you might want to incorporate learning to how to get free traffic into your studies so that your skills are well-rounded. Search engine traffic is fabulous, but social media marketing is becoming quite important.

Just some advice to help you with your enhancement steps!
I agree with Denise. I've been a web designer for over 10 years. My advice to you is not to focus as much on the coding of the website. There are so many different platforms like WordPress, Joomla and so forth that it takes very little web design knowledge to actually build a website.

The harder part is the SEO and marketing of it. A website is no good without that. Make sure to get a healthy dose of knowledge about SEO, backlinking & content writing. Those are going to be important to you in the long run.

jkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote