Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th September 2011, 08:58 AM   #1
logoplanetlab

Default Does A "Lost Website" = A "Lost Blog"?

I'm very seriously considering integrating a BLOG into my website in order to help grow my business and increase website and search engine visibility (not a Wordpress or Blogger site). However, I do have a question:

If my website is currently ranking poorly in search engine results, how will adding a BLOG make it any easier to find? In other words, if clients and customers cannot CURRENTLY find my website, how will they find my blog? It would seem the problems are reciprocal. If one can't be found, how can the other? Am I missing something here? Is it the new added BLOG content (and the quality of that content) that will help growth eventually (but not immediately)? Is it dependent up how many visitors/comments the blog receives? I'm planning on reviewing much of the content of the SBIF "Blog & Blogging" threads, but any added advice you can give here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks So Much,

Jeff

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:24 AM   #2
ChrissyBiz

Send a message via Skype™ to ChrissyBiz

In my experience, adding a blog to your site can be beneficial as it allows you to constantly update the content using phrases and terms your target market searches online. In this way your blog can help your website increase in search engine rankings because it is another portion of your site that constantly receives new content (which is imperative to helping SEO efforts). Also, if you are interested in getting marketing your blog, I am a member of www.triberr.com and have invites so your blog will be published all across my and other "tribemates" twitter networks.

Blogging is an excellent and cost effective way to market your product directly to those who want it by providing useful information.

I am also offering free business consultations about this very thing if you are interested, and if not, I still hope you find this reply helpful!

Old 26th September 2011, 11:22 AM   #3
logoplanetlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyBiz View Post
In my experience, adding a blog to your site can be beneficial as it allows you to constantly update the content using phrases and terms your target market searches online. In this way your blog can help your website increase in search engine rankings because it is another portion of your site that constantly receives new content (which is imperative to helping SEO efforts).
Chrissy,

Thank you for taking the time to address my BLOG question. Your answer was very helpful and encouraging. I hadn't directly considered the "constantly updated content" issue as playing a major factor in helping SEO, but I can clearly see how a quality BLOG could vastly help such matters.

Thanks Again,

Jeff

Old 26th September 2011, 02:13 PM   #4
gotlivechat

logoplanetlab are you using Google's Webmaster Tools app to see what search terms Google thinks applies to your site? It's free and is useful in determining how many search pages deep your site is on.
Also gives you a baseline so you can see if 'blogging' helps increase your rank.

Old 5th October 2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

A blog can be extremely helpful on many levels. First as mentioned providing fresh quality content can help boost your rankings. Also your blog can generate inbound links thereby increasing your value. It also helps establish you as an expert in your field, causing people interested in the product you are selling to take you more seriously, helping you increase sales.

Old 5th October 2011, 01:43 PM   #6
EricB
VIP Contributor

This is great information on this thread. I understand how a blog could help with SEO, but does anyone know if a subdomain of the site would have the same effect? For instance my website is www.heresyourschedule.com, but if I was to start a blog at www.blog.heresyourschedule.com would I see any SEO benefits or does it need to be part of the same domain? Obviously there would be links back to the main website from the blog, but would it be more beneficial to just have it www.heresyourschedule.com/blog?

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 01:57 PM   #7
logoplanetlab

Great questions Eric – looking forward to any beneficial answers.

Old 7th October 2011, 05:27 PM   #8
EricB
VIP Contributor

So I ended up doing some research on Google to see if I could find an answer. So far I've only seen people discussing if a subdomain will inherit the main domains ranking properties. It seems like for that people say sometimes it will other times it won't. But I haven't found what I was more concerned with, which is will a blog on a subdomain help the main domain ranking. If I find anything else I'll repost it here.

I did find this link that I found a little helpful

http://www.webseoanalytics.com/blog/...olders-in-seo/

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 01:32 AM   #9
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyBiz View Post
adding a blog to your site can be beneficial as it allows you to constantly update the content using phrases and terms your target market searches online. In this way your blog can help your website increase in search engine rankings because it is another portion of your site that constantly receives new content (which is imperative to helping SEO efforts).
I agree with this - your blog is an easy to update vector for new content. This means you can add as many links to your website as you see fit, and keep your SEO bubbling along.

Good Luck and keep blogging!

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 04:23 AM   #10
SanWay
VIP Contributor

Youк question is how can a blog add you some customers? right? it is simple, very often people look for an article about something particular, you can write about what you want on your blog including hot information about target market, sensations and so on, so your blog readers can become your customers.

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote