Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th February 2011, 01:46 PM   #11
LloydBurrell

Any topic that has direct relevance on your business is good. This means you can write about web design and working from home at the same time. Be empathic. What would you like to read? That's probably exactly what other freelance web designers expect.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:46 AM   #12
virtualnancy

Send a message via Skype™ to virtualnancy

As someone who offers business support from database management to website design I write about many things on my blog. Although they all relate to something that would benefit my target market, I have many different topics.

Just some thoughts.

virtualnancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 08:58 PM   #13
jpub

I like going broad. I get bored on one topic, but I also hate managing too many sites. It's totally up to you. It's your blog. Take Tim Ferriss for example. He has a wildly popular blog which covers all kinds of topics from business, online marketing, to health and fitness.

jpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 05:48 PM   #14
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Well, I think everyone is right. One topic! Correct! Multiple Topics! Correct!

I think is really depends on how you set it up. From your experience, your topic really is only one; That is ONLINE BUSINESS. But... that includes web design, SEO, Lead Generation, E-Mail and on and on. Most don't understand that an online business really needs a lot of different facets.

Most... think that the website has to be 'cool'. Yeah.. you go spend all your money on 'cool' and we will talk later when you're moaning about no traffic.

Your ONE TOPIC could be/should be online business. That covers everything you mentioned and would become a real helpful resource.

Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 01:13 PM   #15
BSI

I try to keep each of my sites dedicated to one main topic, there may be subtopics but they are somehow related to the main topic or subject of the site. With your situation I would stick to one topic, web design issues for the beginner or above would be different than reaching out to those that wish to discuss the issue of working at home. I would have 2 sites, one for each and direct my work at home readers to my web design business when I discuss the need to have a professional website etc. Tie them together but make them separate, hope that makes sense.

BSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 06:18 AM   #16
3Aces

Send a message via Skype™ to 3Aces

I think it would be good to have a broad outline (with categories) this will cast your net wider and you can link to your specific topics from these not-so-specialized topics. This will help you catch a wider audience. You can post in these "non-specialty" categories maybe once or twice a month and in the area of your expertise several times a week (at least twice). It's always better to have a specific niche for a blog since it brings in targeted traffic and more importantly it helps in ranking better in Google. Whatever you do, just make sure that the articles are:
1. VERY IMPORTANT : Unique ... I don't mean that they should pass CS, well of course, they must lol, what I am trying to say is that your website/blog should offer info that is one of a kind and makes your blog stand out.
2. Well written.
3. Informative.
4. Interactive.

The rankings will follow if you can just make your blog good for human reading and really informative.

3Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 06:51 PM   #17
transpanish

I would keep it open. You can focus in one topic (web design) and, from time to time, write a post about your experience as a freelancer, working from home, etc. I think it will make your blog more interesting.

transpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 12:47 AM   #18
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Try to first determine the target audience of your blog. Who they are, what they do, their age group, etc. That'll help you to determine and understand what they want from your blog, and what you can provide for them. This will create a perfect symbiosis of demand and supply, and you'll have the traffic that you are looking for.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 06:11 AM   #19
Ebony2009rb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheBest View Post
Well, I think everyone is right. One topic! Correct! Multiple Topics! Correct!

I think is really depends on how you set it up. From your experience, your topic really is only one; That is ONLINE BUSINESS. But... that includes web design, SEO, Lead Generation, E-Mail and on and on. Most don't understand that an online business really needs a lot of different facets.

Most... think that the website has to be 'cool'. Yeah.. you go spend all your money on 'cool' and we will talk later when you're moaning about no traffic.

Your ONE TOPIC could be/should be online business. That covers everything you mentioned and would become a real helpful resource.

Good luck!
I agree with this post in that you can blog about the various aspects of having an online business. Thier really is no right or wrong answer but at least by having a few blogs up and running you will find which ones get the most traffic and then you can focus on those.
I would definately post to forums and social media sites as well. All this will raise your profile in Google and grow your following.

Kindly,
Tim

Ebony2009rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 03:28 PM   #20
LaundryBags

Default Just Launched My Blog

Hi. I just launched my worldpress blog today. I am having the same issues trying to determine if I go broad and write about everything I have knowledge in....or do I focus on a few things. My goal is to get links to my ecommerce websites by signing off at the bottom of the blog with my name title and web address. My main products are laundry bags, adult bibs, electric blankets, and pillowcases.

Does it make sense to write quality articles about fitness, weight lifting, law enforcement, running a business, and more....then plugging my websitess at the bottom of the article? Even though the topic I wrote about in the article has nothing to do with the products on my sites? I am really trying to build inbound links but there is just so much I can write about a pillowcase or laundry bag...

Tom

LaundryBags is offline   Reply With Quote