Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th January 2011, 10:00 AM   #1
BusinessHelper

Default New Blog. Should I Focus Only On One Topic Or A Few?

I have just purchased my domain name for my new blog (it seems so crazy that I have 2 online businesses but don't have a blog of my own). However I'm not sure exactly what I should focus on.

As a self employed web designer I have a lot that I could write about when it comes to web design and running a business from home.

So I guess my question is should I only focus on creating my blog around one aspect of running a business from home?

Or should my blog have more of a variety of topics that cover many aspects of running a business from home such as Web Design, How To Promote Business, Find More Clients, ect.

BusinessHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th January 2011, 09:32 PM   #2
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Whatever you can feel write on with interest (for both you and readers) for months and months. You want people who follow your blog over time and tell friends etc about it. Readers are attracted and become followers if there is interesting content with enthusiasm.

If not sure, start broad and when you find a topic area that is your niche then focus on that.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 04:15 AM   #3
Morgan Lewis

I would say write articles about your field of industry. Focus more on what your target clients want to know. Video blogging nowadays are becoming more and more popular. Make sure to post fresh contents on your blogs at least twice a week.

Morgan Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 06:12 PM   #4
CanarsieBK

It would depend on your audience. If you want to reach out to potential customers, you might want to focus on strictly the web design aspect. If you are targeting other people that aspire to work from home, then write about that.

Though you could focus on the web design and sprinkle in some home business posts every once in a while that tie into your client work or something related, but I'd say to definitely focus on one topic and kill it on that topic.

CanarsieBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanarsieBK View Post
but I'd say to definitely focus on one topic and kill it on that topic.
I agree with CanarsieBK in focusing on one topic.
Which topic out of the two do you think you will bring unique perspectives to the audience?

If it is web design, then you can focus on things like techniques, tutorials, and samples.

If it is running a business from home, then you can cover business aspects, domain names, hosting, marketing tips, and of course you will mention about web design as well.

Make a pick depending on who your primary audience is You can also start off with one blog, then buy another domain and develop your other topic. It will make things easier if you know who you are trying to reach.

Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 04:40 AM   #6
dowson12345
VIP Contributor

If I were you I'd concentrate on more topics as you have a chance to attract more visitors and to get more success, although it can be hard.

Old 10th January 2011, 03:10 AM   #7
LP560

Definitely one topic.

LP560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 08:28 PM   #8
jsingerston

As previously mentioned it would depend on the audience you want to speak to and attract.

Create two different categories on the blog and keep your posts separated by those categories.

jsingerston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 04:57 AM   #9
LloydBurrell

Your content is a structure. Therefore, you need:

- a few main topics - to ensure variety and diversity;
- but they should be related - to ensure consistency;
- subtopics and sub-subtopics - this renders structure and professionalism, shows your expertise, which leads to trust;
- connectors - posts which transcend one topic and connect to another - this shows flexibility and stability altogether. People love to see things connect.
- every once in a while a contextual post. This is a difficult blog post and it should have a personal touch. Just to make sure your regular readers remember you're a real person. - Such posts create dialogue.

Hope this helps

LloydBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 11:18 PM   #10
KennethLee

My comment is that cannot become a blog for all.

Explore niches in which your blog / content can dominate and work on it.

There's just too much clutter around and you can never keep up with everything.

My 2 cents worth.

KennethLee is offline   Reply With Quote