Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th December 2010, 07:40 AM   #1
enterpriser

Default Is legal and acceptable this idea?

hello

I know that blogs are a good idea for making some business.
Among the many ideas I have thought about what could I write about, I have been thinking about the possibility of not writing directly but taking links from other webs based on a subject, for example, daily news(always quoting the source from they come from), and grouping them by subject.

At least in publishing books there is no problem at all in quoting, so I suppose there, neither, problems in making a webs of news, and select a group of links from many world webs. Do you know for certain this? Thank you very much for all your answers.

enterpriser is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th December 2010, 04:18 AM   #2
LloydBurrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterpriser View Post
hello

I know that blogs are a good idea for making some business.
Among the many ideas I have thought about what could I write about, I have been thinking about the possibility of not writing directly but taking links from other webs based on a subject, for example, daily news(always quoting the source from they come from), and grouping them by subject.

At least in publishing books there is no problem at all in quoting, so I suppose there, neither, problems in making a webs of news, and select a group of links from many world webs. Do you know for certain this? Thank you very much for all your answers.
I would avoid this. Copyright laws are complicated and differ from one country to another. Thus, gathering news from different locations may prove problematic. With books is a different story and your comparison is not entirely accurate. A book corresponding to your idea would be a sum of citations from different sources on the same topic...

LloydBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 03:35 PM   #3
TynnishaH

Send a message via Skype™ to TynnishaH

You know, I don't really see a problem with this as long as you are citing the original source. Legally, there shouldn't be a problem anyways.

But, visitors like original content--content that they've never seen before. If I were you, I would just write the content rather than just take content that everyone else worked so hard to produce.

TynnishaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 07:37 AM   #4
andysmith

If you are mentioning the source of news in the post, then it is not a problem, you can start that way, and then write your own blogs to get quality rating in the search results.

andysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 02:24 PM   #5
snellexperts

There shouldn't be any problem as long as you are referencing the original source and clearly stating that the content is not yours.

snellexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 08:30 AM   #6
SanWay
VIP Contributor

as i know duplicate content is forbidden but you dont duplicate anything so i see no problems with your idea)))

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 03:17 PM   #7
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

If all you do is provide a link without any significant original content to provide context, your blog "posts" won't be terribly useful and are unlikely to do well in the search engines.

If -- in an effort to increase the text content -- you wholesale copy the original source, even with a link, that's a definite copyright violation. You may be able to quote a small excerpt under the rules of "fair use," but you can't simply reproduce the entire article.

Copyright rules do vary in their details from one country to another, but the above is true virtually everywhere.

A better bet would be to rewrite using your own original text. (This does not mean "load up the article text into some 'article spinner' software. This means actually take the time to re-write the article -- by hand -- into something that adds value in some way. Include your opinion about the story, or synthesize two or three sources into a single story that gives a more well-rounded perspective or more details than any of the individual sources. That sort of thing.)

This is the method used by Huffington Post and some other content aggregator sites. However, you should be aware than even then, they've faced complaints and lawsuits from content providers who are upset with them for using the content provider's site as a source without the original publisher's permission. Even when they provide a link to the original.

You might also want to read up on Google's "Panda" update to learn more about what they're doing to combat low-quality and duplicate content. The search engines are working hard to short-circuit any shortcuts people are using to avoid putting in effort to create a worthwhile site.

--Torka

Old 27th December 2011, 04:48 PM   #8
erinc500

Sounds like you would be fine as long as you cite your source. Collecting links is really just aggregating, similar to what you'd see with digg or reddit, etc.

erinc500 is offline   Reply With Quote