Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th December 2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Bowser

Default Using Blogger Or A Complete Web Site?

I plan on starting a blog that will generate some passive income. Is a system like Blogger sufficient enough or should you build a complete web site around your own name and then just add a blog as well?

Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

I recommend getting a Wordpress blog that you update often with good content.You will need a domain name and a hosting account. No separate website needed.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 12:12 PM   #3
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Passive income? Heck, you might want to join a cult for traffic, they will come to a blog and sniff a bit, then leave. I found blogger excellent, despite the crew online would like to tell us otherwise, because all the big bloggers use wordpress, however, they didn't get there just with more flexibility, they became big because they had traffic patterns eg. mail list

I don't have time to play with a blog mechanism, therefore, I use a simple minded blogger tool!

Old 15th December 2008, 04:29 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

A blog is a website, so you don't need to build a website and then attach a blog.

Personally, I prefer having a blog under my control, so I don't care for hosted blogging platforms like Blogger or Wordpress.com (which is not the same thing as Wordpress.org, which is where you can download the software to install on your own hosting account).

It's easy to get set up at Blogger, but if you read the terms of service, at all the hosted blog sites they reserve the right to take down your blog at any time for any reason (or for no reason at all). Plus, you're sort of locked in to whatever features the blogging platform might choose to allow you.

When you host a blog on your own server, your own hosting account, you retain more control. If you install Wordpress, for instance, there are literally thousands of plug ins you can add that will extend your blog's functionality. Plus no matter what software you install, you can use your choice of themes (templates) for visual design -- or come up with your own custom theme.

Many hosting companies offer "one click installs" of WordPress or some other blogging software, so it really isn't terribly difficult to get started with your own blog. And because having your own blog on your own hosting account gives you so much more freedom in the long run, I'd definitely go that route if it were my blog. (In fact, I have several blogs and that is the route I've taken. )

My

--Torka

Old 16th December 2008, 11:19 AM   #5
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Quote:
A blog is a website, so you don't need to build a website and then attach a blog
it depends on what you what your goals dictate, for a blog to do really good as a selling device then you need to write well and often, but, if you want to push a more formalized service (consulting etc.) I think that you should really consider a website and template

Quote:
Personally, I prefer having a blog under my control
blogs are meant to be ongoing log of sorts and they are always under construction --- however, they can be static

Quote:
If you install Wordpress, for instance, there are literally thousands of plug ins you can add that will extend your blog's functionality
is there an advantage to the readership, i've seen MR. Gervitz's blog actually recieve negative responses because they didn't believe a weak simple blog was controlled by a 18yrs old making serveral hundred thousand a month --- he hired a pro. to do a very basic face lift, however, he doesn't add too much more than text etc.

Quote:
And because having your own blog on your own hosting account
there are some traffic consideration you must figure out before you try your own blogsite, i am really surprise how low my traffic is, afterall, the reason i got a blog was because somebody suggested blogging as a traffic generation mechanism, i am not very impressed

infact, i would say that you will have a hard time comming up with hundred visitors daily, because unless you are talking about a pitviper snake, the subject you are blogging about has much competition today

i don't like to search using Google, as an online student, i found small search engines much better despite Google shift from volume to quality searching

like a democracy there is nothing better in the world, yet there is no free healthcare when your stressed out

actually, my blog gets weak response on Yahoo! etc., i am waiting to see the results my newly created website does

just like ebay selling vs. selling on website, i prefer my blog with blogger than the blog tool found on my website, mabye if i had time to spend everday working a more complete tool, i would reconsider

it doesn't matter which you choose, if you don't have a following of viewers/buyers --- you starve

i've seen some blogger blogs that knocked my socks off! i am not sure how they did it, but there is a place where Google shows off these champions

but, creating Wow! doesn't mean more profitability, i have group of people that i watch, their blogs do very very lucrative months --- good luck catching their performance, no matter which way you choose

i've heard that lots of top bloggers use Apple Mac systems, so what!

clue: i don't use Google for research much, and i don't believe sales testimonies either!!

but, here is what the man of the number 1 world-wide blog says:

"If you donít want to mess around with hosting your own blog the people behind WordPress have a free tool which they host at WordPress.com"

the last statements were not directed towards anybody on this thread, just added comments --- thanks.

Last edited by viper_one; 16th December 2008 at 12:05 PM.
viper_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 04:57 AM   #6
fairdoes
VIP Contributor

After 8 years trying everything i've returned to blogger, albeit with my own domain names (one has 8 years good standing with google).

Wordpress has its good point, but many hosting companies DON'T. A great virtue of starting with Blogger is that it's a ten minute job to export all posts if you wish to move to another platform.

fairdoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 05:19 AM   #7
carolrastet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
I plan on starting a blog that will generate some passive income. Is a system like Blogger sufficient enough or should you build a complete web site around your own name and then just add a blog as well?
I think that the two variants can exist. You can add a blog to your website and you can create a blog related to your website. As for me the first variant is better for navigation but the second one make your company more serious in the eyes of potential customers to my mind.

carolrastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 03:04 PM   #8
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Hi

Quote:
build a complete web site around your own name and then just add a blog as well
I wouldn't build a website around your name unless people are really looking for you. If you are a well-known person, it would work. If you're not, you're starting out on the wrong foot.

Here's the differences I would ponder:

If you want to create commentary and are good at writing (fairly prolific), then blogging is a great platform. It's good for timely subjects.

But if what you want is to create a business, one that you can eventually back off from writing at some point and focus on monetizing or other pursuits, a website is the superior choice. This is due to a lot of factors.

If you have a following or believe you can create a following (which will be needed as a blogger), then that direction could work for you. Otherwise, websites have unique opportunities to draw free, ever-growing traffic and income that allows you to get up from the table at some point.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 03:53 PM   #9
fairdoes
VIP Contributor

You can use a blog for publishing anything. As the WordPress creators say - it is a CMS (content management system); blogging just happens to be its most common use.

To use blogger as a CMS you need to be adventurous with the labels and archiving.

Slightly off-topic: the picassa and Google docs that come with blogger/Google now offer complete directory uploads, even gzips; so you can easily store everything 'in the cloud'.

1GB is free; 20GB upgrade costs an alarming $5 a year

fairdoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_one View Post
I don't have time to play with a blog mechanism, therefore, I use a simple minded blogger tool!
This makes so much sense - just start a blogger blog and get on with the real business of posting relevant online content.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote