Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd December 2008, 04:46 AM   #1
amitesh

Default Search Engines Index The Images

All the search engines index the images in a different ways. They can take it on the basis of their names. They can also index them separately according to the image sizes. Also there could be an indexing on the basis of the various image formats. Also there can be am indexing based on the quality and resolution of the images.

The search engines index the images to calculate the rankings of a page based on the images that it has. The only images that the search engines cannot index are the ones that include some text.

amitesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:38 AM   #2
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

i think you have forgot to add a vital point "Alt Tag" without which an image will fail to get rank.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Kurt Henninger

This is a really important point, especially when you are writing blogs.

Include an image in each post with an "Alt Tag" on them and your posts will be more likely to get indexed.

Kurt Henninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

does the file name of the image matter? is there a benefit to the file name having a more descriptive name of the image, especially with keywords included, rather than random characters? for example, if I were selling shoes and had a picture of a shoe, would it be better to name the file of the picture "mens_shoe.jpg" rather than "XYZ123.jpg"?

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Landlord

As far as I know, the name of the image itself basically gets overwritten (from the spiders' perspectives) by the Alt tag, which is why it's so important.

Old 8th January 2009, 08:46 AM   #6
luckycharmz336

To get listed in google image results, here are my recommendations.

it’s actually amazingly simple in all reality, however not many understand this topic.

I was building links the other day and requested a link from someone. They requested a link back (of course), within their reciprocal link exchange request they asked me to link to an image. After thinking about it, out of curiosity, I asked if this was to improve google image results. The answer was yes!

This website managed to obtain top Google Image results for the term Logo Design.

When images appear in Google’s results, heavy placement depends on 2 major factors which fall in to normal SEO rules.

* The image file name should be keyword rich. Picture1.jpg won’t perform as well as logo_design.jpg
* Include the keyword you are focusing on within an inbound link to your image.
* Place the image on your website, and surround it with keyword rich text, also add Alt text to the image specifying what it is.

So, let’s say you wanted a picture of your dog to appear under the Google search phrase “Dog Pictures” since it is searched 50,000 times per month in Google, and you really want your dog to be popular. You would simply snap a picture of your dog, then you should name your file something like dog_pictures.jpg - After creating this image, you need to obtain links to it from other relevant website’s. The more links the better!. The link pointing to your image should include the anchor text Dog Pictures as well. So your link should look like this - Dog Pictures

If you decide to create links to your image using a thumbnail of your image, make sure that you use the ALT text “Dog Pictures” for the image attributes.

luckycharmz336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 01:47 AM   #7
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir W. View Post
does the file name of the image matter? is there a benefit to the file name having a more descriptive name of the image, especially with keywords included, rather than random characters? for example, if I were selling shoes and had a picture of a shoe, would it be better to name the file of the picture "mens_shoe.jpg" rather than "XYZ123.jpg"?
You should use "mens_shoe.jpg" rather than a fancy name because Google will give more importance to it.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 03:44 AM   #8
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

The alt-tag is really important.My blog is about home business related things.I have very few pics on my blog, but I always have an alt tag describing the picture and a keyword in it. Something like: "home business_description_picture.jpg". This is not keyword spamming, this just helps the search engines to understand what the picture is all about.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote