Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th December 2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

Default DMOZ Not Taking My Submission?

After several attempts at submitting my site to DMOZ.org, I can't understand why my site isn't listed - I've submitted my site at least twice within the past 18 months or so. Any ideas??

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th December 2008, 04:09 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

First, don't submit multiple times. When (and if) the editors ever get around to clearing the submission queue, they generally do so in the order the sites were received. Every time you resubmit, you simply drop your site down to the bottom of the queue.

Second, in the immortal words of Shrek, "Join the club. We've got jackets."

In other words, there are lots and lots and lots of website owners and webmasters in the same boat. DMOZ is staffed by unpaid editors, volunteers who basically will get around to reviewing sites when they feel like it. This is not their full time job by any means.

There are no guarantees when you submit that your site will be accepted, even if your submission is totally by the book and your site is the greatest thing since sliced bread. There are a lot of people who apparently get quite upset over the apparent unfairness of it all, but since a link from DMOZ is worth approximately the same as an individual link from an interior page on any other large, reasonably well-respected directory -- which is to say, not all that much, really, in the overall scheme of things -- IMHO it's not worth spending any time worrying over.

I personally haven't submitted a site to DMOZ in at least five years. But that's just me. I know there are some who wouldn't dream of launching a site without including DMOZ submission in the launch plan.

If it's something that matters to you, submit once and move on. If you get in, that's great. If you don't, it's not exactly the end of the world. There are loads of other more important things to spend your time and energy on.

My

--Torka

Old 26th December 2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Limozine

DMOZ listing took me a year or more. Submit once and wait.

Old 26th December 2008, 01:49 PM   #4
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir W. View Post
After several attempts at submitting my site to DMOZ.org, I can't understand why my site isn't listed - I've submitted my site at least twice within the past 18 months or so. Any ideas??
I personally wouldn't worry about DMOZ. A few years ago, it was en vogue. But that's no longer the case. Instead, concentrate on getting links from other large, important sites.

The links will be just as valuable, and you'll endure far less frustration.

David Jackson

Old 26th December 2008, 04:12 PM   #5
roof cleaning

I agree about DMOZ.
It USED to be easy enough to get in, now it is next to impossible.
I would look for relevant links from higher page rank pages.
Do not overlook building links to your OTHER pages ?
So many make the mistake of concentrating only on their main page.
I have TONS of aged links to my roof cleaning site.
I have had a lot of luck linking my other roof cleaning pages.
Google really likes this, IME.
Good Luck to you
Chris

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 05:03 PM   #6
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Quote:
I personally wouldn't worry about DMOZ. A few years ago, it was en vogue. But that's no longer the case. Instead, concentrate on getting links from other large, important sites.
I agree. I file a Google sitemap (although that is probably not even necessary for a static site) and that's it. Search engines will find your pages on their own and submitting to various engines does not really speed up the process. "In the day" it was important to submit to DMOZ & Yahoo Directory, but I don't think it helps a bit now.

Old 30th December 2008, 06:11 AM   #7
wininlife

just give it 10 minutes to submit your site for consideration and never think twice about it.

wininlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Mahriyah

I was wondering the same thing this morning. I've submitted a few times and never see the listing. Thanks for the useful info, looks like I'll just wait

Mahriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Logan
Administrator

My experiences are the same as Torka's, it just hasn't been on my radar in the last few years.

That said, I believe there are some basic things you can do to increase the odds of your site getting listed

For starters, as with all directories, closely review their guidelines and make sure you are following them prior to submitting. Also, closely consider the category you are submitting to. Is it the most specific category to your business. I would also take the time to monitor potential categories to see which have active editors (is an editor listed at the bottom of the page, are the current listings stale, do you notice changes over a couple months). One other tactic regarding category selection, is to submit to your local/regional category if it has an active editor. For example, I had a woodworking client that would have been tough to get listed. But when I submitted them to the St Petersburg, FL category (their physical location) I was able to get listed relatively easily.

Old 31st December 2008, 03:06 AM   #10
MooMan

Its surprising how few people actually read the guidelines for submitting your site. They are very clear and consise make sure you submit to the correct category and read other peoples descriptions before writing your own, you will get a feel for how descriptions should be written. If its has too many keywords, is a sales pitch or tells people how good your site is it will get rejected. The same applies for the title if you try adding any keywords it will get rejected as just submit your title. If you are having difficulty getting into your main category try submitting to a different category, such as if you live in Dorchester UK go to the regional category and drill down until you come to your town.

Top: Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: England: Oxfordshire: Dorchester

Most importantly spend a bit of time read the guidelines and get your title as your business name only and the description straight to the point and not a big sales pitch.

MooMan is offline   Reply With Quote