Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st July 2004, 08:54 PM   #1
Mary Ann

Unhappy Does Google penalize flash detection redirect pages?

Hello

I hope someone can give me some advice- be kind though, I'm really new to this!

I have a website with a homepage that ends in .php The person that originally set the site up created a page that is sort of a doorway page but is used solely to identify if the user has macromedia flash as the main page of our website makes use of some of that. It automatically sends you to our homepage if you have it.

My problem is am I in violation of google's rules by having this redirect page? Or is there something I should do to it to make it compliant? I'm very new to this and not really sure about some of the technical parts and I don't want to do anything to get us kicked.

We had a #7 ranking until recently for our key word Dr. Quinn but when I fixed the script on the redirect (tweaked it) so that it functioned properly ( I found those who were going to that page which is our main domain name were getting a blank page!) our rank suddenly dropped way down.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

PS the website is www.thedqtimes.com

Mary Ånn

Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd July 2004, 11:01 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Hi Mary Ann and welcome to the forum!

If your home page uses a JavaScript to detect flash settings before redirecting, then it is likely that the search engine spiders will pay no attention to this as they are like browsers that are not java enabled. Therefore they will index the home page and not the page the user is being redirected to.

Because most people have Flash, why not make the page that has Flash in it your default page and then the Flash detector will redirect the user to a non-flash page if they do not have the Flash plug-in as opposed to the other way around?

The way you have it now however is not in any violation of Google's rules so you are okay there.

Old 2nd July 2004, 11:39 AM   #3
Old Welsh Guy

Also the new google spider can rip text out of flash to an extent now. It is treating it as a different page however (bless it ) but it is getting there.

Old 3rd July 2004, 10:37 AM   #4
Mary Ann

Default re: Google redirect and lost rank

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion, actually here is what I WANT to do but I'm not savy enough to do it. I also may be explaining it all wrong! I would like to JUST have the homepage - the php page. It has some flash but it's not all flash and just have some flash detection on the page so that if someone doesn't have flash they will be given the option to go to macromedia.com and download it. As it is, I think there is a problem with the script on the HTM index page anyway, I tried it at work and it sent me directly to my homepage but the flash wasn't there. It SHOULD have sent me to macromedia.com not my homepage if it were functioning properly.

The problem is we had an older site which was redesigned and has a new domain. People were clicking on the link on the old site but for some reason it took them to a cached version of the new site homepage that looked as if it hadn't been updated in months or they couldnt get to the site at all. The person who set up the new site originally did a quick redirect to fix this and for a while we lost our rank on google. Then a week or so later we were back. But I was still stuck with essentially 2 pages in the search engines- the index htm with the so called flash detection (which doesn't seem to work) and the new index php, which is the new homepage. I found that people who were typing in www.thedqtimes.com directly were getting a blank page. I thought I was fixing this by what I did on the index htm (entry page)but I suspect all I did was create a redirect from that page to the new page. Everyone is happy because now they can get in but our rank has dropped and I'm not happy about that. We get about 650-700 unique visitors a night, which I think is probably good for a small website but with all the work this entails, I'd like to get my rank back. I'm not really able to contact the person who set the site up originally (the homepage, the domain etc) so I'm sort of left not wanting to make things worse by doing it on my own. I'm afraid if I make any major changes like dumping the entry page, I'll loose our rank all together. I was considering saving the PHP page AS index htm and just not using the htm version with the flash detection but am not sure how that would effect things.

Mary ann

Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote