Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd April 2013, 11:28 AM   #21
Logan
Administrator

Yes, that shiny quality score doesn't put food in the refrigerator.

It could very well be that exact match is better. For example with a phrase match of "driving school" you are going to be displaying your ad for those searching "online driving school" which is not relevant. I would suggest researching and expanding slowly with exact match phrases, for example [behind the wheel driving schools] to expand your marketing.

When it comes to broad, phrase and exact matching the relevance of the searches is highest with exact matching.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:33 AM   #22
OptimizerMan

Send a message via Skype™ to OptimizerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yes, that shiny quality score doesn't put food in the refrigerator.

It could very well be that exact match is better. For example with a phrase match of "driving school" you are going to be displaying your ad for those searching "online driving school" which is not relevant. I would suggest researching and expanding slowly with exact match phrases, for example [behind the wheel driving schools] to expand your marketing.

When it comes to broad, phrase and exact matching the relevance of the searches is highest with exact matching.
You should offer your services! By the time you get through with this guy, he'll know more than Perry Marshall, and it won't cost him a cent!

OptimizerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 04:29 PM   #23
WebEminence

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimizerMan View Post
I know everybody wants to be a Certified AdWords Professional, but I also know that Google's been ripping clueless advertisers off for years, so I've never personally wanted to be thought of as a certified ripoff artist, because it's not my style. Maybe that's why I'm not rich yet!
Hey OptimizerMan, how do you think Google is ripping off advertisers? Kinda hard to do when you select your maximum amount bid and the daily and monthly spend. You called the advertisers "clueless". Maybe that's why they are spending more than they want and all the more reason to use a professional who knows what they are doing.

Old 2nd April 2013, 04:35 PM   #24
WebEminence

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzcrafter View Post
Logan

To be honest I haven't seen much, if any of an increase in calls.

I love the fact I have a brilliant quality score but I might just stick to exact matches.

My market is very niche so maybe it's best to say with tried and tested keywords.

Matt
Pretty cool that you were able to get QS of 10 on your keywords. I would look at website conversion issues as the culprit in this case since it sounds like your keywords are pretty relevant.

One other method that is smart is to check the exact keywords typed in. I forget what this is called off hand (Keyword Details maybe) but it's a drop down list under the keyword tab. This will show you the exact keywords that were typed in.

You can use this to determine if the exact match or phrase match is bringing in better search terms. You can then add negative keywords to weed out some of the searches that are not relevant.

Old 2nd April 2013, 05:02 PM   #25
OptimizerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEminence View Post
Hey OptimizerMan, how do you think Google is ripping off advertisers? Kinda hard to do when you select your maximum amount bid and the daily and monthly spend. You called the advertisers "clueless". Maybe that's why they are spending more than they want and all the more reason to use a professional who knows what they are doing.
They have probably been doing it for 8 years in a VERY big way...

Nowadays Google's advertising network is known as the Display Network. Up to a few years ago it was known as the Content Network.

Google's Content Network had nothing to do with their Search Network -- the Content Network was all those "odds-and-ends" websites that displayed Google ads for a commission (AdSense).

Anyway, unlike Google's Search Network, the Content Network for many years was just a lot of junky blogs & websites -- the kind of crappy sites you wouldn't even WANT your ads to show on.

Well, Google's Content Network was AUTOMATICALLY enabled whenever you created a Google AdWords campaign. The junk factory was alive and well. I used to call it Google's Dirty Little Secret.

It was difficult enough for most people trying to make Google's Search Network show a profit. Throwing their Content Network into the equation put the odds so much in Google's favor that the average person trying to make an advertising campaign work was destined to lose -- the deck was completely stacked against them.

I think the Display Network still kicks in by default whenever a new advertiser starts a new Google AdWords campaign. What a great way to waste money.

Think Google's your friend? Not really. They'll take you to the cleaners no questions asked. They will do it very nicely.

Last edited by OptimizerMan; 2nd April 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 2nd April 2013, 07:28 PM   #26
WebEminence

All the more reason to make sure you know what you're doing before advertising with Adwords or not do it at all. No one is forcing anyone to advertise. You talk like Google is forcing people to advertise. People do it if they can create a positive ROI. If not, then it's probably not worth it.

I don't doubt that the content network was automatic in the past. I don't remember that personally. Now you can turn it off and on and manage it under a totally separate campaign.

Old 3rd April 2013, 08:40 AM   #27
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthervision23 View Post
Your competitor may have the money and resources to boost his site on SERPs like that. That top on Google pages could be Adwords or PPC. He paid for it to get there.

But this is not the determining success factor. I believe few people are clicking on those 'priority' links. Unless these links are what these people are actually searching for. Just enhance your SEO and you have the chance to outdo your competitor.

Try to engage in social networking sites like FaceBook and Twitter to gain loyal followers and customers.
Excellent advice. Blog about your company and create backlinks. No reason to pay for PPC advertising.

Old 3rd April 2013, 09:06 AM   #28
OptimizerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetnj View Post
Excellent advice. Blog about your company and create backlinks. No reason to pay for PPC advertising.
I think a point a lot of people tend to miss is the fact that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to Internet marketing and advertising. SEO is basically a waste of money if you have a very small website (three to six pages), and pay-per-click advertising probably won't work if you sell things like life insurance, marketing services or very low priced e-commerce items.

Local search marketing may or may not be an option depending on the business you are in. Google does not show any local listings for SEO services for instance.

So you have to assess your Internet marketing and advertising options on a case by case basis. What works for one type of business may be totally inapplicable to yours.

Old 4th April 2013, 12:53 PM   #29
uspackaging

I agree with Logan, the top position may get more clicks, but not more conversions. We try to stay between the 3rd and 4th spot because of this.

uspackaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 08:32 AM   #30
LGCG

Yeah, just pay attention to what positions get the best results for you, then you can aim for that by bidding lower or higher.