Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th March 2013, 03:57 PM   #1
lenzcrafter

Default How Does He Do It?

I have been wondering this for years now.

I have a competitor, Robbies Driving School.

Simply put, he is on the top of google for every combination of keyword relating to driving schools in bristol!!!

Now does he have some kind of guru working his account of is he just paying shed loads of money to constantly be on the top?

I would really love to know what everyone thinks as this has been bugging me for ages and i just cant compete with him!

All opinions welcome.

Many thanks

Matt

Old 25th March 2013, 06:52 PM   #2
OptimizerMan

Send a message via Skype™ to OptimizerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzcrafter View Post
I have been wondering this for years now.

I have a competitor, Robbies Driving School.

Simply put, he is on the top of google for every combination of keyword relating to driving schools in bristol!!!

Now does he have some kind of guru working his account of is he just paying shed loads of money to constantly be on the top?

I would really love to know what everyone thinks as this has been bugging me for ages and i just cant compete with him!

All opinions welcome.

Many thanks

Matt
First off, are you talking about the listings at the top in pastel yellow (Google AdWords) or the listings immediately below (organic listings in white). A lot of people confuse these two types of listings, because they're in the same "center" column when you do searches on Google.

Pay-per-click advertising allows you to "buy your way to the top". You cannot buy your way to the top with organic listings.

OptimizerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 08:43 AM   #3
lenzcrafter

The very top box. That's what this thread is all about. Ppc

Old 26th March 2013, 09:38 AM   #4
OptimizerMan

Send a message via Skype™ to OptimizerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzcrafter View Post
The very top box. That's what this thread is all about. Ppc
Sorry for my oversight regarding whether your question pertained to pay-per-click advertising.

Your competitor is probably doing BOTH (using a ppc expert and paying serious money to be position one for relevant searches).

That said, experienced ppc people normally do not bid to be in position one, because it's usually a very bad position in terms of ROI. I have heard at least one person say that the people paying for a position one ppc listing are the ones Google makes the most money from in the overall scheme of ppc advertising.

If there is actually one area of Internet marketing & advertising that you seriously should use the help of an expert -- it's pay-per-click advertising. Using an expert will make the difference between your ppc campaigns being profitable or being non-profitable. It's all in the "details" and, if you don't know the "details" -- you're sunk.

Google has made more money playing off the ignorance of ppc advertisers -- you have no idea.

OptimizerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:34 AM   #5
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

It could be that his max cpc is much higher, but Google takes other factors in to account, in particular relevance and quality score, when it comes to position of paid ads.

Try comparing your ads to his. Do a Google search for a keyword your targeting and that you know he's targeting as well.

First consider the text of the ad in relation to the keyword. How relevant is your ad? How about his ad? Do the ads feature the keyword?

Next, check the landing page of both his and and your ad. Is it also relevant to the keyword and the ad text?

Perhaps your competitor features the keyword on his landing page and this is one of the reasons why he's always in the top position.

One last thought about positions in Google Adwords:

The # 1 spot isn't necessarily the most profitable. Take a look at what position generates the most conversion for you, then aim for that.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Hi Matt, a few thoughts. It may take some work, but you can compete with him

Are you using the geo-location settings? This will allow you to target people searching from within the area for "driving school" plus those searching with the location included "bristol driving school".

Are you using phrase matching? This will allow any phrase including your keyword to be targeted. So if you have "driving school" then your ad will also show up for "affordable driving school"

From there you need to look at the keyword suggestion google provides along with all those that you know your competitor uses. For example driving school, driving course, driver education, driver training, etc.

Regarding being on top it's a simple equation taking into factor the amount of the bid, ctr, and page quality score. Some times you need to pay a fair amount to be on top, but the ctr can really play a role. For starters, make ads that include your keyword in the ad's title. People are more likely to click on your ad if it includes their exact keyword in it. Plus the keyword is shown in bold within the text when it matches. Also provide a special offer/incentive. Compare your ads to the competition to make sure it is superior. Then test, test, test to compare ads to get the highest ctr.

Old 27th March 2013, 03:30 AM   #7
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

Your competitor may have the money and resources to boost his site on SERPs like that. That top on Google pages could be Adwords or PPC. He paid for it to get there.

But this is not the determining success factor. I believe few people are clicking on those 'priority' links. Unless these links are what these people are actually searching for. Just enhance your SEO and you have the chance to outdo your competitor.

Try to engage in social networking sites like FaceBook and Twitter to gain loyal followers and customers.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 05:15 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

panther, it's already been stated we are discussing ppc here

Quote:
I believe few people are clicking on those 'priority' links
Quote:
The # 1 spot isn't necessarily the most profitable.
Quote:
experienced ppc people normally do not bid to be in position one, because it's usually a very bad position in terms of ROI.
Since there has been several comments about this, I wanted to expand a little bit. First, the top position is the most frequently clicked upon. If you need further research regarding this do a search for [google search heat map] to see visual displays of click distribution within the serps. While the frequency of clicks are highest for the top position, that does not mean it is the best position. The general theory is that those who are serious about shopping click multiple results to make their purchase.

A little story. I remember one time I went to purchase a car. After visiting the first dealership, I complimented the sales person and explained that I was going to be looking at other places as I went to the place I thought was best first. He responded that while he appreciated the compliment, dealers don't want to be the first place you go. The reason is that you then take their experience/information and compare all others against them. Often this results in you buying from someone else.

The same applies to other purchases, including those made within the serps.

So the first position does get the most clicks typically, but you may find you make more sales by being in position 2 or 3 because those serious about purchasing are still clicking on you and comparing you against that first position. Additionally, the first position can get more clicks from people who are "window shopping" or simply trying to figure out what they should be searching for.

Old 27th March 2013, 09:39 AM   #9
kaoolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
panther, it's already been stated we are discussing ppc here

Since there has been several comments about this, I wanted to expand a little bit. First, the top position is the most frequently clicked upon. If you need further research regarding this do a search for [google search heat map] to see visual displays of click distribution within the serps. While the frequency of clicks are highest for the top position, that does not mean it is the best position. The general theory is that those who are serious about shopping click multiple results to make their purchase.

A little story. I remember one time I went to purchase a car. After visiting the first dealership, I complimented the sales person and explained that I was going to be looking at other places as I went to the place I thought was best first. He responded that while he appreciated the compliment, dealers don't want to be the first place you go. The reason is that you then take their experience/information and compare all others against them. Often this results in you buying from someone else.

The same applies to other purchases, including those made within the serps.

So the first position does get the most clicks typically, but you may find you make more sales by being in position 2 or 3 because those serious about purchasing are still clicking on you and comparing you against that first position. Additionally, the first position can get more clicks from people who are "window shopping" or simply trying to figure out what they should be searching for.
I like this post Logan

Old 27th March 2013, 05:55 PM   #10
WebEminence

How much are you bidding? It looks like your competitor is bidding around $3.80. Pretty high...

Ad rank is determined by...

Max CPC x Quality Score

So if you set your max CPC over $3.80 and still are lower than him in ad rank, than his quality score must be higher than yours.

I just searched and there are only 2 ads currently. That 3rd spot would be a great value as the other posters are saying. I probably wouldn't try to outbid the top spot unless your can afford the expensive clicks and the ROI is confirmed.

I'm a Certified Adwords Professional.