Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th January 2011, 04:36 AM   #11
skatersollie

Default facebook ppc doesn't work

I think google is much better...I tried facebook ad and they are just expensive and hard to convert.. it seem jsingerton and jwhitebiz are like facebook ads...I guess what i'd like to ask is what kind of products are you guys selling?? I have had other people i know use facebook ads..and seem to come up with the same conclusion doesn't work well..More people go to facebook to socialize than buy stuff...that's my opinion...and what's the point of having ads..pop up when people are not ready to buy...unlike google when people are searching for items they are usually ready or at least looking for the items to purchase...

skatersollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th January 2011, 05:47 PM   #12
jsingerston

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatersollie View Post
I think google is much better...I tried facebook ad and they are just expensive and hard to convert.. it seem jsingerton and jwhitebiz are like facebook ads...I guess what i'd like to ask is what kind of products are you guys selling?? I have had other people i know use facebook ads..and seem to come up with the same conclusion doesn't work well..More people go to facebook to socialize than buy stuff...that's my opinion...and what's the point of having ads..pop up when people are not ready to buy...unlike google when people are searching for items they are usually ready or at least looking for the items to purchase...
You can sell pretty much anything if you are choosing your demographic properly and showing them the right offer. Yes you have a much (much) lower CTR than you do with Google Adwords. This is because, as you have stated, people aren't shopping on Facebook. They are socializing. This is why you must use graphic images in your advertising that get people's attention.

If your Facebook ads aren't converting at all, it is probably because you are matching the wrong offer for the demographic you are showing the ads to. One thing that Facebook allows you to do is to be very selective about which type of person sees your ad in the first place. Google doesn't give you that ability.

In other words, with Facebook, if I am selling shaving cream for tough beards, I am probably not going to show the ad to females. I would show the ad to males who were over 18.

If I was selling a product to business owners, I would make sure that I target them specifically by finding groups who shared interests in Entrepreneurship, self-employment, small business management, etc.

By carefully selecting your demographic and showing them the right offer, you will get some conversions. In my experience you will not get as high of a percentage as Google Adwords, but you will get some traffic at a cheaper price than you would have gotten from using Adwords alone. Facebook is worth it if you take your time to plan carefully and test a wide variety of ads.

Test the ads for converting traffic not just raw traffic. Facebook ads are much less expensive per click than the ads in a competitive niche for Google Adwords.

jsingerston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 06:03 PM   #13
skatersollie

Default I already know about the demographics options..

The problem with facebook is that they don't allow animated images..or swf...unless your "special"....All you can have is a static image...with google you can have both...and although demographics is cool...nothing beats keywords..."i'm searching for it now"...that's y it's a premium... You can't get much attention with static images..no matter how hard you try..You can't fit all of your messages in the small space they provide...unless your planning on using the lead banner..so basically your doing the same thing as placing simple text on the banner space. in other words..basically like google keyword text ads..

Old 6th February 2011, 02:21 PM   #14
RyanF

Yes, definitely pros and cons to both. The biggest challenge for FB ads is that people are not actively searching while using the application. Which means your offer/pitch/item has to be so compelling or targeted that it can interrupt what they're doing and grab their interest. VS Google where people are actively in "search" mode and looking for product/services to solve problems.

RyanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 04:57 PM   #15
jamesbell

Default RE: Facebook advertising

What do you intent on marketing?

Facebook as we all know, is a social networking site. People use facebook for the social experiencing of knowing people and being known by other people... but more by being known by other people.

So avid users of Facebook are inclined to pay attention to ads for products that can positively impact their social interaction or social standing. All very shallow I am afraid but it as simple as that.

Successful marketing on Facebook is all about the product. Basically, the products that appeal to how an individual appears or how they perceive they appear to others are going to attract attention.

Take a look at the sample ads from Facebook's advertising guide. Restaurants, photography, wedding planning.

So, back to my original question? What are you marketing?
If it's makeup or fashion or something new and cool you are on the money.
If it's motor oil or vacuum cleaners think again.

Good Luck

James Bell

jamesbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 03:45 PM   #16
skatersollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbell View Post
What do you intent on marketing?

Facebook as we all know, is a social networking site. People use facebook for the social experiencing of knowing people and being known by other people... but more by being known by other people.

So avid users of Facebook are inclined to pay attention to ads for products that can positively impact their social interaction or social standing. All very shallow I am afraid but it as simple as that.

Successful marketing on Facebook is all about the product. Basically, the products that appeal to how an individual appears or how they perceive they appear to others are going to attract attention.

Take a look at the sample ads from Facebook's advertising guide. Restaurants, photography, wedding planning.

So, back to my original question? What are you marketing?
If it's makeup or fashion or something new and cool you are on the money.
If it's motor oil or vacuum cleaners think again.

Good Luck

James Bell
I think part of the reason for the success story in the ads is that it's a niche based on location business....All of the business's that profited by the ad were based on restrictions of "location" retail store...how do you convert when real estate is based in cyber space is a different story...Another is that it's a service based and not product based. And individual case studies are cool, but I'd rather have general case studies....

Old 9th February 2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Photosdotcom

Facebook PPC is a great useful tool to help build your Facebook Fan Base. Setting up an ad is easy and reading the results is easy too. Try a low spend at first and see if you get the hang of it.

Photosdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 02:31 PM   #18
increaserevenue

The trick is to keep a high CTR (click through rate) to get a low CPC or CPM low. Because Facebook will reward you if you have a high CTR because you are providing something to the user that they are interested in and making it a better social network experience for the users.

increaserevenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 06:04 AM   #19
obama5493

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitebiz View Post
There is a lot of great traffic on facebook. I usually switch to CPM once my ctr is up. If you're not converting, your images or adcopy or targeting are off. You can drive HUGE volume on facebook very easily because there is no silly quality score relevancy stuff you have to deal with.

Get 10-20 images, that are funny, cool, interesting, catch attention, along with 3-10 adcopies to test. Then segment out campaigns to various demographics. You have to keep the images fresh somewhat too, and sometimes adcopies, but it definitely works.
I have found Facebook to be more economical than Google Adwords although Google traffic converts better in my experience.

obama5493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 04:36 PM   #20
notjustSEO

Send a message via Skype™ to notjustSEO
Default PPC Tracking Tool

I think it is interesting that people see Google and Facebook as competing platforms...Facebook is a marketing tool, and Google is more of a sales tool. A complete marketing plan includes both.

Think about Google PPC for a minute. What keyword has the conversion rate? The name of your business! However, if nobody knows who you are, then how will they find you?

Another reason that they don't have to compete is that there is now a company (full disclosure, I do consulting for them) called antvisit (www.antvisit.com) that will allow you to track the spend, revenue and ROI of your multiple accounts (Google Adwords, MSN Adcenter and Facebook) all from the same place.

They have an iPhone app that will be released today, and since they use Google Analytics to gather your data, there is no additional code that needs to be added to your site.

notjustSEO is offline   Reply With Quote