Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th October 2009, 09:23 AM   #21
fishorfamine

Default From the AdWords Blog

In the last year, you've probably read a lot about how Google not only manages the issue of click fraud, but also protects our advertisers against the many ways in which criminals attempt click fraud -- including clicking on ads themselves, hiring low-cost workers to click on ads all day, and "high-tech" approaches such as botnets (i.e. a collection of software robots, or bots, which run autonomously).

As part of our continuing efforts to provide greater transparency, Google's Click Quality and Security Teams have published a paper (available as a PDF) entitled "The Anatomy of Clickbot.A" for the HotBots 2007 workshop which took place earlier today in Boston, MA. Neil Daswani, a software engineer and contributing author of "The Anatomy of Clickbot.A," is here to tell us more:

Clickbot.A is the name of a botnet that Google's Click Quality and Security Teams investigated last year. Using our findings, we published "The Anatomy of Clickbot.A" - a detailed case study on botnet-based click fraud for the benefit of the technical research community.

Clickbot.A is an example of a botnet operator attempting a click fraud attack against syndicated search engines. Google was able to identify clicks on our advertisers' ads that exhibited Clickbot.A-like patterns and flagged them as invalid. While Clickbot.A is a specific example of a botnet application that conducted click fraud, botnets can also be used for keylogging, distributed denial of service (DDoS), and other types of attacks.

Due to the potential for misuse and the inherent loss of control that can result from having a machine participate in such a botnet, we hope "The Anatomy of Clickbot.A" will help facilitate further collaboration between search engines, Internet Service Providers (ISPs), anti-virus vendors, and other parties on the Internet in managing botnets and similar threats.

You can find the PDF version of "The Anatomy of Clickbot.A" in its entirety here. For more information on how Google detects and fights click fraud, visit the Invalid Clicks section of the AdWords Help Center.

fishorfamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:33 AM   #22
fishorfamine

Wink

There is also click fraud detection software available - AdWatcher being one of the best.

Old 27th October 2009, 01:56 PM   #23
ritty

So how can we prevent click fraud? Any tips?

ritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 09:03 PM   #24
east2west
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to east2west

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritty View Post
So how can we prevent click fraud? Any tips?

I could see no way around this myself..... sorry.

http://www.azattacks.com
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 09:22 AM   #25
fishorfamine

Click fraud is more previlent on the content network. Check your publisher reports for any site that is generating clicks and not converting. Delete those sites from your campaign. Also check those sites to make sure they are legitimate. If you see any suspicious sites report them to your Google rep at Adwords.

The latest thing is for website owners is to replace your ad with one of their own questionable ads (adult dating etc.) with the hopes of getting more clicks. The ad will still go to your website which is bad because you pay for it and the site owner gets part of that.

Old 10th November 2009, 03:30 AM   #26
JanetJay

I've experienced click fraud issues lately with Yahoo and 7Search. I've heard various internet marketing companies are getting downgraded by Google and Yahoo, even had their adfeed removed from their network. So it is happening.

It seems some industries are more hit than others. Finance, IT and Computing are particularly hit by this latest move. Also have fellow internet marketers who have been completely unscathed by it.

JanetJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 02:16 AM   #27
multimediocrity

Wow, I've thought of this, and yes, this is a concern. So this actually does happen, huh? I advertise on reputable sites, but even those are not bot-proof. I may need to switch back to CPM.

multimediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 09:58 AM   #28
Murtaza

1. Monitor your campaigns
2. Limit your advertisements to specified countries
3. Know where your advertisements are displayed
4. Have a different bid price for content-targeted sites
5. Target high-value sites
6. Monitor results with a web analytics tool

I think these are the best ways to prevent click fraud.

Murtaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 08:40 AM   #29
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I wouldn´t say it is difficult to cheat we have had to question Google many times on our account for what is obvious click fraud, they have returned money into our account as a result of the evidence we gave showing obvious click fraud

We had some clients just clicking ads and sending contacts to us using foul language so we challenged Google on this also and refused to pay for clicks like that

There is always going to be some element of click fraud when running these accounts and yes we do build some money for click fraud but I think it should be managed better, there must be millions of dollars every year that Google receive as a result from click fraud and unfortunately money down the drain for the advertiser, especially the accounts that are not being managed by a qualified adwords manager

Old 16th December 2009, 07:47 AM   #30
mark_robinson77

I think a lot of people are facing that particular problem of fraud & they really don,t understand what is been happening around them.

mark_robinson77 is offline   Reply With Quote