Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th May 2008, 05:15 AM   #1
namanj

Default Can Blogs Be A Profitable Online Marketing Solution?

Efficacy of using blogs as online marketing for my site is brewing some confusions in my mind. Since, blog is a cheaper avenue of Internet marketing and also is potent to push my site to high rankings at organic SERP, but the time consuming factor of this marketing tool is dampening my enthusiasm of using it. Yes, this web blog is now the latest trend on the web thanks to sizable contributions made by celebs. However, as per my understanding blogs are mainly beneficial for service providers than sites selling products. However, I have a real estate based website that sells properties. I have incorporated my site with blogs on tips, advice, suggestions related to buying properties, minimizing costs, mortgage and loan related topics. What do you think? I need your opinion on efficacy on these blogs to built up my site's popularity?

namanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th May 2008, 08:04 AM   #2
bdorland

Can you provide URLs for your real estate sites and blogs? Reviewing those sites will probably help us advise you on how to get more out of your blogs and website...

bdorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Baselux

Blog was really helpful for promotion of products and site. Blog can also be a source of adsense earning.

Baselux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 02:18 PM   #4
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr
Default At risk of sounding mean......

.....don't do it!

If your prime reason for blogging is to do SEO and so on, rather than because you've got something to say, it's probably not a good idea to do the blog in the first place: you'll quickly run out of things to say and so on. Besides, you'll see the blog as a chore (as your OP has implied).

In terms of whether it's value for money (WRT your time) you should be able to work that out pretty easily if you really want to, by costing your time and keeping track of how many leads you get per hour of blogging. For us it actually cut down slightly on the number of 'raw' enquiries we got but increased the value of each one we DID get because they only contacted us if they liked our style and wanted some presentation skills training the way we do it. Saved them and us time!

S

Old 16th May 2008, 06:09 PM   #5
seotogo

For real estate you may want to think about either going more global or more local for your blog. If more global you can talk about industry trends, news and other events. If more local, you can play journalist and interview people in your community or talk about local happenings. Hiring guest bloggers is also a way to fill the space. If you want to be an authority on your subject (which I assume you do) you need to keep putting out targeted content.

seotogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 01:49 AM   #6
john.seo123

hI aLL

Blogs gives the maximum traffic to the site as most are very popular and give immediate back link to site.

I have ample of example where by seen a good organic traffic to site from blog, its depend upon the blooging u doing. amazing u will see while involving in more blogs connectivity.

john.seo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

I think the amount of effort to keeping a good blog going on a regular basis is underestimated. Having tried my own informal blog, I can say coming up with new, fresh material gets harder...and harder......and harder. I'd say it's probably one of those things you have to have a knack for, and genuinely enjoy doing.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 02:05 PM   #8
viper_one
VIP Contributor

A blog could require more time than you are willing to invest. I've seen a lot of blogs that are composed of articles that are written without much research on the subject matter. Some appear to be quite spammy with the intent of developing traffic based on an article or two, mainly to get click traffic flowing through them. (after awhile people stop there parade through those sites, they once were more popular than today - i really dislike using a blog search engine that leads to one article blogs)

If a blog is built on better topic matter than that, yes, it would require as much research as a formal school essay.

By-the-way, i've heard that blogs get search engine attention with initial launch but then they have a tendency to drift a bit based on a few headlines. At which point you would have to spend time connecting the blog to a source of fresh hits. eg. forum

If your seeking pure traffic (hate that word) then you might as well post on classified or forums because they only require a few lines of effort. and require decent signature to boot.

Last edited by viper_one; 20th May 2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: add lines
viper_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 06:42 AM   #9
cmcland

If you're starting a blog with the sole reason being to make money then I wouldn't do it. You need to have an active interest in the subject which you're writing about, otherwise it'll simply become a chore.

If you're not that interested in the subject a better option in my opinion would be to start a content website with a blog - that way the blog isn't central to your site but can still be used to highlight high quality new content and it also makes it easier to receive attention via social media.

cmcland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 06:33 AM   #10
mac.user

Red face

Hi namanj and the people here, blogs are a good way to make a presence online but as Sporkman has said.....its true. If your sole intention is to drive traffic then there are more better ways than this ie. affiliate marketing, press release and forum posting(genuinely good ones)...these are a lot better than going for blogs i feel....

mac.user is offline   Reply With Quote