Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2008, 12:35 PM   #1
AskRex

Default "My List Isn't Responding"

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard this! At first, we all start out on the Internet and have high hopes for creating a big prospect email list. I mean, we've all heard this..."The Money Is in the List"...right? But all of a sudden, your list isn't responding as they once did. They are clicking on your offers as much as you thought they would. Well, all I can comfort you with are these words: Keeping your list takes work.

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in SEO and AdWords, or blogging and driving new traffic that we "put off" managing and maintaining our existing list. I have found this to be such a common problem among new (and old) internet business owners. But don't worry, I have a solution coming - it's just a few weeks away.

Until then, I suggest trying to create a reactivation plan. Have a brainstorming session and think, "If I were not responding to someone else's list, what would they have to do to get my attention, and have me WANT to start actively reading and participating in their emails again..." Do you see how powerful it is to put yourself in your customer's shoes?

Maybe you will change the look and feel of your emails. Maybe you will offer a "get engaged" special. I will have some very effective techniques coming your way soon, so stay tuned. But at least you can get the process started yourself now.

Anyone have any additional thoughts to keep this going?

AskRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:18 PM   #2
SBMarketingGuy

I have found from my experience is that you need a list of buyers. You should have your e-mail segmented from those who buy your products and offers and those who just are on your list for free information. The free information seekers are a waste of your time.

Now, at the same time, you should not only communicate with your list to sell things and make offers. You should be adding valuable, relevant information that they can use. If they believe that everytime you mail them its to buy something, they'll quickly begin to ignore your e-mails and unsubscribe.

Also, make your subject line stick out: (**you won't believe how bad this is**)

Bad news headlines work, the "(**" grabs the attention of your reader and gets them to focus on your subject line when they scan their inbox.

Another good time, repeat that link at least three times in the e-mail and ALWAYS have a "P.S." that is your call to your action. Many people simply scroll to the bottom of your e-mail to get to the point.

You should have your autoresponder automated. if you're using Aweber this is easy. Grab private label right articles or ezine articles if you don't want to write. Spend 2 hours at the start of the month pulling together these articles and scheduling them to be sent to your list.

Content is king, and always will be. Once you provide value to your list, they will respect you as an authority and friend. Then when you recommend products they will buy from you. Just like in the real world.

- SBMarketingGuy

SBMarketingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 04:12 AM   #3
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Good article Rex! Building a responsive list online takes time and you need to convince them to get you their email address.Itīs not enough anymore to give away a free report as a bonus, you need to give away lots of them and preferably videos and tools as well.

When it comes to the "not responding", I have heard that there are some psychological triggers that some marketers use.Any input on that?

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 04:15 PM   #4
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

Of course, you could just stop shouting at us!

I actually stop considering responding if I feel like I'm getting bombarded: there's a clear maximum amount stuff I'll tolerate (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this!) being thrown at me! Given how easy it is to blacklist people all you've got to do is piss 'em off once and although you think they're on their list, their email software has a different interpretation.....

Sometimes less is more.....!

In fact now I've thought about it, I'd go so far as to say that it's probably a good idea to change the whole mindset of hitting your list. If it's not working, change what you're doing, don't just hit your list again (and again.... and again... and again.... an...)

S

Last edited by simonr; 10th November 2008 at 04:17 PM.
simonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 04:44 PM   #5
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

If you find that your list isn't responding as it once did, why not change things up a little and do a joint venture with someone? You will expose your offers to new blood, and that just might be the spark your list needs.

David Jackson

Old 5th December 2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Dave Capra

I too believe that you should try to use content in the subject line that is catchy. Even in small biz ads you see everyone titling their ads the same.

My latest attention grabber has been "is that candy bar you're eating good". It's irristable.

Dave Capra is offline   Reply With Quote