Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st July 2007, 12:26 AM   #1
learnerseo

Question Ideal URL Structure

SEO Gurus please let me know what should be the ideal URL structure for any web page to get high rankings in Google??
Is there any specific pattern assigned for it??Is it necessary to have keywords within the URL??

learnerseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st July 2007, 11:37 PM   #2
IdeasMan

Lightbulb check websites that explain all the SEO stuff for you

title of each page, key words, description, linking to QUALITY sites (as linking to sites search engines consider bad, will actually degrade your ranking), having a blogg, sitemap etc etc.... All these help

But I'm no SEO guru, I'm a newbie myself...

I don't remember how I got on their mailing list, but check out sitepronews.com they send me regular e-mails for FREE with the best SEO advise I've ever seen. I've learned more from them than many a night browsing the www for SEO advise....

Their site has loads of good, no nonsense advise on SEO too..

oh and don't ever pay lots of $$$ for some SEO company to work on it for you... there are so many who do little but charge a lot.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by IdeasMan; 21st July 2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: typo
IdeasMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 08:17 AM   #3
mktgbiz

I agree with IdeaMan.....SiteProNews.com has probably the most informative newsletter on SEO and Internet marketing I've ever read.

Ranking on the first page? I can onlt tell you how I do that and I do it first on the first page on Goggle for a few things.

Nicheisize. Nicheisize.

Smaller niches than niche.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 03:30 PM   #4
solid28
VIP Contributor

Default another cool seo site

I really like www.seoish.com for SEO

Old 22nd July 2007, 05:45 PM   #5
willscott

Send a message via AIM to willscott Send a message via MSN to willscott Send a message via Skype™ to willscott

In my experience it's the combination of all the usual suspects, but key phrase page names do help.

So, for a quick SEO recap:
  • Page Title
  • File Name
  • H1, H2, H3
  • Lots of text including the key phrase and like phrases (e.g. shoes & boots & sandals & socks)

For instance, one of our clients is on page 1 for "Louisiana Herbalife Distributor" and I think the combination of page title and URL are really helping. It's a wordpress blog with a custom domain name.

That's the only page on the site with such high ranking and I believe the page name is a big plus.

As you can see from the following: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...fe+distributor
Google sees quite a few pages, but when you do the search above that's the only one which ranks.

I believe, just like good domain names, the more the page name matches the search phrases for which you're competing the better your chances.

Some rules I've picked up along the way from various reading:
Use "-" rather than "_" to separate words: my-key-phrase.html vs. my_key_phrase.html.

In the old Unix days, the latter was preferred on the file system but the engines treat the "-" as a delimiter.

Matt Cutts the well-known Google anti-spam guy writes about it here: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/dashes-vs-underscores/

And as a final example, go Google "Locomotive Consultant" and look at the URL on the #1 ranked result. Sure, it's prominently featured in the blog post, but more important is the file name in my opinion.

And just to be clear, very few people search for locomotive consultant so it's not a highly competitive phrase.

Good luck!

willscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

An update on the url structure, as it has been how willscott explained above for years - but just recently it's been announced underscores are now word separators -

Quote:
Matt shared with the audience was that underscores in URLs are now (or at least very soon to be) treated as word separators by Google.
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9748779-7.html

Ahhh - let the great conversation on underscores continue on. What about yahoo, msn and others? If you are thinking about it this much, be careful not to over optimize. Personally, I try to keep things natural - in most cases - and I've never seen it make the difference alone in ranking - although it can contribute to help along just as the domain name itself can. Taking the algorithm and weights alone out of it - for those sites that link to you using the url ... added keywords in there relevant to the keywords targeted for the page.

The article does have some good pointers regarding urls, variables, etc.

Old 26th July 2007, 05:15 AM   #7
willscott

Send a message via AIM to willscott Send a message via MSN to willscott Send a message via Skype™ to willscott

Thanks as always for your keen eye and sage wisdom Logan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
An update on the url structure, as it has been how willscott explained above for years - but just recently it's been announced underscores are now word separators -

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9748779-7.html

Ahhh - let the great conversation on underscores continue on. What about yahoo, msn and others? If you are thinking about it this much, be careful not to over optimize.
Certainly I try not to over-invest my brain cells.

When talking about the "ideal", however, a few good habits can't hurt. If Google is now recognizing underscores "Huzzah"!

Certainly they're good at pullingindividualwordsoutofallsortsof messy text. But it may not be ideal.

Cheers,
Will

willscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 07:15 PM   #8
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
...Personally, I try to keep things natural ...
Thanks for reminding us of this again Logan... I intuitively know it's true for almost all (probably ALL) of the SEO arguments. I.e., if we think about stuff not in terms of SEO but in terms of what just makes good sense, makes sense for visitors, is natural, isn't artificial, etc., that's probably about as good as it gets.

This reminds me of a business ethics "generalization" I heard once...

The right (strategic, optimal, best practices) thing to do is the right (moral, ethical, legal) thing to do.

Old 10th August 2007, 11:05 AM   #9
Logan
Administrator

And there has been some backtracking on dashes vs underscores

From Matt Cutts Blog -
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/whiteh...-for-bloggers/

Quote:
If you read Stephan Spencer’s write-up, he says that underscores are the same as dashes to Google now, and I didn’t quite say that in the talk. I said that we had someone looking at that now. So I wouldn’t consider it a completely done deal at this point. But note that I also said if you’d already made your site with underscores, it probably wasn’t worth trying to migrate all your urls over to dashes.

If you’re starting fresh, I’d still pick dashes.
While I understand Matt's perspective, regarless of google's own changes and when they happen ... the reason I would stay with dashes vs underscores is there are other engines besides google. None of this considers this, and you should make choices that are based on as many search engines as possible (common denominator).