Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd May 2009, 09:29 AM   #1
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default My Adword Experiment Results

I am so excited about what I was able to acheive in a matter of weeks as it relates to Adword performance I have to share it with this group.

In three weeks here are the numbers:

Conversion Rate improved 56% from 1.4% to 2.25%
Cost per Conversion down 37%
Conversions up 63%
Sales $ up 377%
Dollar per Sale up 131%
Vistior Value ($ per Visitor) up 203%
Click through Rate up 285%
Average CPC down 4%

How did this happen? What trick or program did I pay to get these results? None of the above. I took the advice of Perry Marshall that is so simple that I dont want my competitors to ever find out - but if they do my metrics are so good (Quality Score of 10/10 on most of all my ads) they can almost not knock me out without paying 3-4x what I am to get to the top.

Here is the secret - Break your keywords down into tightly fitted groups. If you sell figurienes dolls and stuffed animals, these become your campaign levels - not your ad groups - within your ad groups you are going to fit your keywords so tight that they relate to what your headline will be. If you sell 10 different types of dolls you will have 10 different ad groups.

Within the ad group write a headline that contains the keyword - I know nothing about dolls but if you sell a "raggedy anne doll" then your keywords in this adgroup will containg all variations of raggedy anne doll and this is your headline - if you cant fit a keyword into that headline - this becomes a new group.

Repeat this for all your kw's.

Now the second thing you will do is for every ad group you MUST create two ads. You MUST have conversion tracking enabled and the code Google gives you installed. If you dont - then you cant test - you wont know what your results are and you should basically not use Adwords at all.

Once you have two ads going - after 30 clicks on each ad your going to see which one gives a higher CTR - this is your best performing. Delete the one thats not as good and try to beat the best performing.

Continue this again and again and you've now created a system that feeds on itself.

Take care and let me know what results your getting!!!

Old 22nd May 2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Cheers Johnny. Have a good weekend, Thank You!

Old 26th May 2009, 10:39 AM   #3
mzcat

Default Thank You Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylew View Post
I am so excited about what I was able to acheive in a matter of weeks as it relates to Adword performance I have to share it with this group.

In three weeks here are the numbers:

Conversion Rate improved 56% from 1.4% to 2.25%
Cost per Conversion down 37%
Conversions up 63%
Sales $ up 377%
Dollar per Sale up 131%
Vistior Value ($ per Visitor) up 203%
Click through Rate up 285%
Average CPC down 4%

How did this happen? What trick or program did I pay to get these results? None of the above. I took the advice of Perry Marshall that is so simple that I dont want my competitors to ever find out - but if they do my metrics are so good (Quality Score of 10/10 on most of all my ads) they can almost not knock me out without paying 3-4x what I am to get to the top.

Here is the secret - Break your keywords down into tightly fitted groups. If you sell figurienes dolls and stuffed animals, these become your campaign levels - not your ad groups - within your ad groups you are going to fit your keywords so tight that they relate to what your headline will be. If you sell 10 different types of dolls you will have 10 different ad groups.

Within the ad group write a headline that contains the keyword - I know nothing about dolls but if you sell a "raggedy anne doll" then your keywords in this adgroup will containg all variations of raggedy anne doll and this is your headline - if you cant fit a keyword into that headline - this becomes a new group.

Repeat this for all your kw's.

Now the second thing you will do is for every ad group you MUST create two ads. You MUST have conversion tracking enabled and the code Google gives you installed. If you dont - then you cant test - you wont know what your results are and you should basically not use Adwords at all.

Once you have two ads going - after 30 clicks on each ad your going to see which one gives a higher CTR - this is your best performing. Delete the one thats not as good and try to beat the best performing.

Continue this again and again and you've now created a system that feeds on itself.

Take care and let me know what results your getting!!!

Thank you very much for this information. Have a blessed day!

mzcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

I'm going to pile on Johnny's suggestion here, with a recent adwords experiment I've seen good results with. As with Johnny's raggedy ann doll scenario, my ad is for a product (although it costs between 10 to 20k). In this scenario I ran an ad with the following type text

$9995: Complete Type Doll
Call 800-555-1212. Energy Efficient.
Buy manufacturer direct and save.

With my scenario I have Google Shopping results displayed at the top of serps. My dollar offer is much lower than the prices displayed in Google shopping (9995 vs 16995, 16995 and 28,999).

This ad is receiving a 20 to 25% click through rate and generating increased leads/sales consistently above a more generic ad that did not include the price. Key factor here is if you truly are making the best offer on the first page, and make that clear you can see both your click thru rate and sales increase to a point that will make a substantial difference.

When selling a product, compare your offer directly to those available in Google shopping and make sure you are beating the competition silly.

Old 1st June 2009, 10:17 AM   #5
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Logan - explain the SERPs comment?

This is something I did not think about (Google Products Page) - what do you mean by top of the SERPs?

I put my price in all my ads now - I am very competitive on price and putting the $ in ad has been great. Having an ad show up in any of the Shopping Comparison Sites with a price that is lower than all the listings is sure to work.

Old 2nd June 2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
what do you mean by top of the SERPs?
One of the top results on the results page when you search. SERP is an abbreviation for search engine result page

Old 8th June 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Conversion Rate topping 3% - used to be 1%

I am averaging a tad over 3% on my adword conversion rate. I used to get a little over 1%.

How am I doing this? 3 steps.

1. I watch my server logs for every search phrase that people use to come into my site and add to my negative keyword list every term that shows up that is not related to what I sell. Dont have access to server logs? Use the google report on search term phrases...just as good.

2. Write two ads and after at least 30 clicks I delete the worst performing CTR and/or Converting ad and write a new one to try to beat the best performing.

3. I increase my CPC as my visitor value increases. I am doing this to crush my competition and will back down CPC to try to obtain position number 3.

So far so good.

Give this a try and remember you can only do this if you have Conversion Tracking on.

Old 25th June 2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Doug

Nice tips there Johnnlew , the beauty about PPC especially with conversion tracking is that it very measurable.

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 04:21 PM   #9
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

Love to hear stories like this, keep up the amazing work

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Hsekhar

Those are some real tips, Thank you for sharing them.

Hsekhar is offline   Reply With Quote