Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th September 2004, 10:04 AM   #1
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Default Where to go from here

Well, since I launched my site it's been about a month. My site's traffic is up to a whopping 25 people a day. I need to quadruple this to be satisfied(right..).

My original goal was a conversion rate of 1% (I figured that was reasonable, based on no research whatsoever - my dad said .1% was reasonable - once again, he has no idea either) but I've noticed that I'm actually converting at around 2.5%

For the first two weeks of the site's existence I immediately began toying around with rewriting the main sale pages into a story format, instead of just pure instruction. A lot of you read quite a bit of it and said you forgot it was for a product - so I added an order button at the bottom of each page. But I hadn't made any sales in 3 weeks (with about 200 total visits) so I was worrying there was something fatally wrong with my copy. And I began rewriting an offline version.

Then, 9 days ago we made our first sale. So I hesitated. Two days later we made another, two days later another..

Needless to say this is where I'm getting the 2.5% But I need to know if this is good - or if I could be at 3 or 3.5% if I changed some stuff.

I'm curious to see where this post goes. Should I run a parallel site (content would NOT be identical - no Google worries) and give it a test drive? Should I not worry about it and be satisfied with 2.5%? And how do I quadruple my traffic? And one last thing - are there any "little" things I could do with the site that would add a lot? Does anyone know of a good "tell-a-friend" program?

I'm sorry. There are about a billion more of these and other types of questions - but I'll hold off. Input would be appreciated!

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th September 2004, 10:19 AM   #2
divshow
VIP Contributor

Jesse ~

From my experience, you are off to a great start. This is not to say that you should ever stop working on your site, but for someone who is just starting out, an order every other day is good. It takes time for word of mouth to hit and for you to sneak up in the search engine rankings.

What I would do now, is maybe find some good content newsletters that you may be able to contribute to, either by taking out an ad or writing an article (this is where Copywriter needs to post ). All this is for is to bring people to your site (I'm not sure for your field, but I've found anywhere from 3-7% click over to my site from an ad, if I pay more to have it at the top)...some may convert to sales, or they may pass your site onto someone they think could use it.

I really don't know if a second site could help or hinder your cause. In my opinion (and it is just that...no knowledge behind it) I would think that it would actually be more work since you have to start promoting that one from the start.

Okay...too early for so much rambling...I need my hot chocolate fix!

Old 13th September 2004, 10:49 AM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

How are you measuring your conversion rates? Visits to the site verses sales? PPC campaign? Other?

I think a person should always try to improve their site while at the same time being thankful for the success they are already getting. Setting up another site should only be an option if you have a separate service or business model. For example, we have a SEO/SEM site and then a separate web development site but both same company.

Old 13th September 2004, 10:57 AM   #4
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

I'm calculating my conversion rate based on sales and total unique visitors.

Being grateful for the success is a good point. I should be grateful it's working at all! I am using adwords but I use a download facilitator (payloadz) so I can't actually track when someone converts from adwords into a sale. I simply follow up with the person and ask and that's given me my info as far as refer urls (although, I would like to automate this to the extent possible).

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Tom_Egelhoff

Default Conversion Rates

Hi Jesse,
No need to re-invent the wheel when there are people who have already done all this research for you. See http://www.marketingexperiments.com - these people set up real stores with real money and real products and track the results. They have saved me tons of money pointing me in the right direction. Also see: http://www.jimnovo.com/ - More of the same but more details on things like customer retention and customer life value. I think they will give you a tremendous jump start. Good Luck.

Tom_Egelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote