Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th April 2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Logan
Administrator

Default The Three Killer Small Biz Apps Coming In 2012

Quote:
In the next two years, I predict that at least three killer apps will emerge that will have a significant impact on us all. Are you ready for them?

Killer App #1: Mobile payments
Killer App #2: Lockers (cloud storage)
Killer App # 3: Apps (all prior software re-questioned
http://blogs.forbes.com/quickerbette...oming-in-2012/

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Switch

I agree with your completely with mobile payments, being number one, since we've opened the doors with mobile payments at our company we have seen a huge increase in the public's demand to accept payments with mobile devices.

Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 02:22 AM   #3
dgeneschi

#1 and #2: strongly agree, #3 I'm ambivalent.

As I saw firsthand at a NYC craft last week, the ability of anyone to transform their iPad into a POS complete with credit card reader is a revelation for commerce, so #1 I definitely agree. I do somewhat dislike the term "mobile payments" because to me it still evokes things like in app purchasing, not processing payments on a phone or tablet. Still, this is a killer app.

I'm ambivalent about #3 because I believe apps are a great business for consultants that make their money building apps, and not the worst way to add value to a service (that makes money primarily by some other means) but overwhelmingly not a great business in and of itself (i.e. selling apps, not selling app development services or using apps to add value to products). The upper bound for what most people will spend on an app is ~$7 (and many people balk at payin $1). Cheap business SaaS that is less polished and not particularly feature-rich but solves a business need can be sold for at least 2.5x that a month. I think ultimately those economics will hold back #3.

dgeneschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 01:29 AM   #4
nancy30

well the game apps and mobile payment apps are surely doing well also e-commerce apps are running wild, sites like amazon, ebay have an app each

nancy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 11:23 PM   #5
adficientppcmgt

well that was great and I strongly agree on how you rank the mobile payments

adficientppcmgt is offline   Reply With Quote