Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th February 2015, 08:38 AM   #1
matstheboss

Default Where To Start With SEO

Hello,

I am running a business together with a friend of mine. We are old salesmen and we've been literally been on the phone to attract new customers.
However we've been discussing how to achieve more customers and the trends nowadays seem to be towards SEO and SEM.
SEM is something that we do not possess knowledge of creating google campaigns and that is a continuously flow of money to keep the campaigns up. So what we are looking for is to gain some more display in the Google results for our site. It seem to be more capital efficient.
Am I right about my thoughts?

We would kindly appreciate your feedback.

matstheboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th February 2015, 04:48 AM   #2
erikathomson
VIP Contributor

Before answering your question, i would like to ask about your business. What type of business you are into?
What are the services of your business.
Please share brief about your business here..

Old 27th February 2015, 06:20 AM   #3
vantrendin

Default Where To Start With SEO

first u have to do on page SEO properly ..

vantrendin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 03:30 AM   #4
tk-hassan

To start with you have to do proper on page optimization for your website because without doing proper on page optimization it is almost impossible to get good results from your off page optimization work and get good rankings on google.

tk-hassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 10:40 AM   #5
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

SEO is not "free." Doing it yourself may not cost as much out of pocket as paid advertising, but it will cost you great deal of time -- both your time in terms of learning how to do proper SEO and then implement what needs to be done, and the time it will take for your efforts to generate an effect.

You can pay someone else to work on SEO for you, which will decrease (but not eliminate) the amount of time you have to invest in the project... but if you want someone who actually knows what they're doing and will produce real, long-lasting results for you, they're not going to be cheap.

As I am fond of saying: there's fast, there's cheap, and there's good. You get to choose two. If you want good SEO, you'll have to choose between cheap and fast. You can't have all three. (Sorry.)

The two biggest differences between an SEM campaign and an SEO campaign: SEM will have an immediate effect, while SEO can take months to "kick in." Even if you've hired a pro. On the other hand, the benefits from a good SEO campaign can continue for years, while the benefits of SEM stop the instant you pause the campaign.

The main problem with SEO is that you will find a great deal of outdated information and outright wrongheaded ideas online. You will run into a lot of so-called "SEO experts" who will be happy to take your money, but who will not deliver the best results.

There are a lot of so-called "SEOs" who speak with what seems to be a great deal of authority but who have very little to no idea what they're talking about. Very few of them actually test their ideas; most simply repeat something they read somewhere else. Most of the few who actually try testing have no training in how to set up or evaluate a statistically valid experiment, so their tests are essentially worthless.

If you wind up hiring or following the advice of these "guru-wannabees" you'll end up wasting a lot of time on tactics that will have little to no effect.

There are three things you need for good SEO:
  • A highly user-friendly website -- easy to navigate without excessive clicking, easy for visitors to find information, logical menu structure, informative link anchor text, etc. It is not necessary for your code to pass W3C validation, and passing that validation will not improve your rankings. In fact, it's quite possible to produce a site that passes validation with flying colors but is still completely unusable. Usability trumps validation every time.
  • Excellent content -- engaging, interesting and useful. For more information on how to create high-converting content, check with sites like The Conversion Scientist, Marketing Experiments or Psychotactics. Articles written by overseas writers who do not fluently speak and write your language and/or articles pulled from article directories and/or automated product feeds do not count as "excellent content."
  • Solid editorial links -- that is, links that other website owners create pointing to your pages because you have such excellent content or because you did something noteworthy and they want to share it with their own site visitors. These are not links that you created yourself. They are NOT blog comments, or forum signatures, or directory submissions or any of the other easy link sources you'll read about from many so-called "SEOs". For excellent information about link acquisition, try checking our moderator Debra Mastaler at Alliance-Link or Eric Ward (author of the "Link Moses" newsletter).

I don't mean to scare you away. I think every business owner needs to plan for and implement site optimization if they want to maximize the positive ROI from their website. (I use the term "site optimization" deliberatel. It's more useful for you if you think about what you need to do in terms of site optimization and not just search engine optimization.)

I just don't want you to go into this thinking that it's going to be something you can knock out quickly and with little effort.

--Torka

Old 5th March 2015, 02:40 AM   #6
matstheboss

Torka, that was a very informational post. Thank you!
We will consider what you have said and try to do some more research of what we ca do for our business. Whether we are going to hire someone or start ourselves.
//Mats

matstheboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 09:56 PM   #7
sampendleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by matstheboss View Post
Hello,

I am running a business together with a friend of mine. We are old salesmen and we've been literally been on the phone to attract new customers.
However we've been discussing how to achieve more customers and the trends nowadays seem to be towards SEO and SEM.
SEM is something that we do not possess knowledge of creating google campaigns and that is a continuously flow of money to keep the campaigns up. So what we are looking for is to gain some more display in the Google results for our site. It seem to be more capital efficient.
Am I right about my thoughts?

We would kindly appreciate your feedback.
Do you have an existing online website for your business?
What is your niche?
If you do not have knowledge about SEO or SEM then I suggest that you start googling it now, especially if you really are interested on it.
Or you can hire someone that will help you from scratch.
SEO for online businesses is not an option but rather necessary, SEM is just an option though because it involves money. So, I suggest that if you want to have a full understanding on it then it is necessary that you'll have at least a basic knowledge about it.

sampendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 11:40 AM   #8
michaelwilliams

Basically, buy a catchy domain name and good hosting. Google likes fast sites, if you go cheap your ranking time will be extended.

My 3 best tips:
1) Original content, interesting content with images.
2) Good backlinks, quality over quantity.
3) Social networking (Google loves this recently).

michaelwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 11:26 PM   #9
jeffscott
VIP Contributor

First, analyze your targeted audience behavior and observe their needs as well as the expectations because this will give an idea on how to reach them effectively and establish your name.

jeffscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 01:18 AM   #10
pattersonsteve3

Thumbs up

I will suggest you to hire an SEO/SEM expert , before hiring study and research and get some basic idea about. SEO is a long term process so take any decision and go for it when you fully understand the investment and return.