Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th October 2010, 02:24 AM   #1
techmodi

Question Help Me- How To Increase Traffic Rate In My Case

Hello all,
I have going through very tough time. Actually I am working on one of the website for traffic enhancement. The website domain is just 4 months old. The problem is that I am not getting the desired results for the work and strategies I am applying. I will explain the work I did in points. Please help me to know exactly what is lacking in work or something going wrong. Please have patience because I suppose the explanation for problem is too lengthy.

1) The website is of almost 40 pages
2) The website domain is 4 months old
3) I did all SEO activities like ON page, Off page, SMO activity
4) In on page I have added Title, Meta description and keywords individually for each and every page, did internal navigation utilizing keyword density.
5) I myself prepared content by searching for themes of website business
6) Added content relevant for each and every page of at least 300 words and more
7) Added Google analytic and webmaster tool

For off page

1) Initially added index page to Google and then all landing page
2) Started directory submission for index as well as landing pages with very good PR directories
3) Did theme based
4) The count of directory submission reached almost 1830 with directories having PR more that 1 (no zero PR directories and 1 PR directories)
5) I occasionally do social book marking by preparing new data every time
6) Did almost 50 blog comment with maximum do follow
7) But not gone much for forum discussion
8) Joined communities like “ITToolbox” as my website theme is web design and development in PHP and ASP.net
9) Did blog URL submission
10) Joined twitter
11) Joined facebook
12) As such I have not started article, press release and classified
13) Created blog in wordpress and added 19 posts till date in different technical web design and development categories
14) I created the content for posts in blog by myself by search work

The basic problem is that the domain for website is used to launch various projects that we design and develop for client. It has crossed 10 such client website that exists on my website domain. We also launched micro website of same theme on same domain. The micro domain also contains almost 20 pages. Is it creates any wrong effects?

The pages get crawled once in a month. The traffic rate is too low. We get approximate 1600 visitors from all over world. But direct traffic is almost 600 because our programmer use demo page of website for testing the code. So traffic is left with 1000, out of which 500 is reference traffic and 500 is direct traffic. I need to raise my traffic for at least 500 visits per day. We are good at ranking.

Please help me for this traffic issue. Sorry if description gone too lengthy.

techmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th October 2010, 09:38 AM   #2
mktgbiz

Time......things take time. Even though we live in a world of instant gratification on just about everything, website take time to generate traffic and followers.

The only way to avoid that is to give away something of magnitude for people to sign up for something. BUT....even that takes time.

Time. Be patient.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Melva

Default Time is the key here.

For such a young site your traffic is good. I know that is not what you want to hear, but you are doing all the right things, so it is going to take time.

Melva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Social-Media

Looks to me like you're doing a lot of gimmicky SEO practices for trying to promote your site and not a lot of proven SEO techniques. Below are some comments:

1) Your site is only 4 months old. Rome was not built in 4 months. You can expect at least 6 months to a year before you begin ranking well in most cases.

2) You're not going to get a substantial amount of traffic unless your site is a) ranking in the top 3 or so for some highly searched phrases or b) is ranking in the top 3 for LOTS of infrequently searched phrases. Ranking well for keywords people are searching for is what drives traffic from the search engines.

3) Submitting your index page and inner pages to free directories is a VERY ineffective link building strategy. Most of your submissions won't get accepted, or may be months before they do. When they do get accepted and listed, they usually end up on pages that are not even in Google's index. A couple of years back Google really cracked down on directories. Even the main category pages of many free directories don't get indexed these days... much less the sub-category pages.

4) Social bookmarking does little for your site... It might drive traffic but most all of those links are NOFOLLOW and won't affect your rankings.

5) By "blog URL submission" I'm guessing you mean pinging? If so you're pretty much wasting your time re-pinging the engines. Your blog should ping them when you add/update a post automatically. WordPress for instance pings using Pingomatic which in term pings all the major engines and many more. Pinging them for the same URL repeatedly is not going to get your URL indexed and certainly isn't going to help from an SEO perspective.

6) Joining Twitter and Facebook does VERY little in most cases. They can drive traffic to your site IF (and only if) you have lots of followers/friends. But spamming those followers/friends with promotions for your site are just going to get you unfollowed/unfriended. It is said to be effective on Twitter you need thousands of followers and only 1 of every 100 or 200 tweets should be to promote your site. And the URLs you display in your Tweets are NOFOLLOW links so they don't help your URL rank.

7) Meta descriptions and keywords as well as keyword density helped your URLs rank in 2002... but not today. Meta descriptions and keywords are pretty much ignored from a ranking perspective by all of the engines these days because they have been so abused in the past. Keyword density also has VERY little influence on rankings these days. You're better off writing great content with low keywords density (1%... maybe 2% tops) than trying to hit some magic density like 5-7%. Even 5% density is going to read like total spam. It means you're repeating the same keyword every 20th word. That is just not natural.

I would recommend that you focus your efforts on writing GREAT content. It is MUCH easier to get other webmaster to link to GREAT content than it is to get them to link to mediocre content.

Offer something on your site for free (tools for example) that will keep bringing people back or get you mentions on forums and such.

Article submissions, especially with Ezine Articles, can not only help rankings but also drive traffic from EZA. But you'll only get click thrus from EZA to your site if the articles you submit are high quality.

Participate in forums and blogs related to your niche. REALLY participate in the discussions... not just posting "Thanks for sharing." or "Nice post." type comments. Build relationships online with other webmasters by participating. THEN approach them for links. If your site has GREAT content, many will link to your. If not... you're wasting your time.

Last edited by Social-Media; 4th October 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Social-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Asim

Send a message via MSN to Asim Send a message via Skype™ to Asim

It sounds like you are getting a lot of traffic for a site that is only 4 months old. Like the others have said, it takes regular and consistent effort to post on forums. Blog commenting, article submissions, directory submissions. Paid links and creating great content on your own site. With regular consistent action, your site can rise through the search engines.

Asim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 12:34 AM   #6
techmodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social-Media View Post
Looks to me like you're doing a lot of gimmicky SEO practices for trying to promote your site and not a lot of proven SEO techniques. Below are some comments:

1) Your site is only 4 months old. Rome was not built in 4 months. You can expect at least 6 months to a year before you begin ranking well in most cases.

2) You're not going to get a substantial amount of traffic unless your site is a) ranking in the top 3 or so for some highly searched phrases or b) is ranking in the top 3 for LOTS of infrequently searched phrases. Ranking well for keywords people are searching for is what drives traffic from the search engines.

3) Submitting your index page and inner pages to free directories is a VERY ineffective link building strategy. Most of your submissions won't get accepted, or may be months before they do. When they do get accepted and listed, they usually end up on pages that are not even in Google's index. A couple of years back Google really cracked down on directories. Even the main category pages of many free directories don't get indexed these days... much less the sub-category pages.

4) Social bookmarking does little for your site... It might drive traffic but most all of those links are NOFOLLOW and won't affect your rankings.

5) By "blog URL submission" I'm guessing you mean pinging? If so you're pretty much wasting your time re-pinging the engines. Your blog should ping them when you add/update a post automatically. WordPress for instance pings using Pingomatic which in term pings all the major engines and many more. Pinging them for the same URL repeatedly is not going to get your URL indexed and certainly isn't going to help from an SEO perspective.

6) Joining Twitter and Facebook does VERY little in most cases. They can drive traffic to your site IF (and only if) you have lots of followers/friends. But spamming those followers/friends with promotions for your site are just going to get you unfollowed/unfriended. It is said to be effective on Twitter you need thousands of followers and only 1 of every 100 or 200 tweets should be to promote your site. And the URLs you display in your Tweets are NOFOLLOW links so they don't help your URL rank.

7) Meta descriptions and keywords as well as keyword density helped your URLs rank in 2002... but not today. Meta descriptions and keywords are pretty much ignored from a ranking perspective by all of the engines these days because they have been so abused in the past. Keyword density also has VERY little influence on rankings these days. You're better off writing great content with low keywords density (1%... maybe 2% tops) than trying to hit some magic density like 5-7%. Even 5% density is going to read like total spam. It means you're repeating the same keyword every 20th word. That is just not natural.

I would recommend that you focus your efforts on writing GREAT content. It is MUCH easier to get other webmaster to link to GREAT content than it is to get them to link to mediocre content.

Offer something on your site for free (tools for example) that will keep bringing people back or get you mentions on forums and such.

Article submissions, especially with Ezine Articles, can not only help rankings but also drive traffic from EZA. But you'll only get click thrus from EZA to your site if the articles you submit are high quality.

Participate in forums and blogs related to your niche. REALLY participate in the discussions... not just posting "Thanks for sharing." or "Nice post." type comments. Build relationships online with other webmasters by participating. THEN approach them for links. If your site has GREAT content, many will link to your. If not... you're wasting your time.
Means what I did will not be much effective to drive traffic? I have done around 1800 directory submission and also created content by my own. I suppose I will have to approach to some content writer. Even I think that my website content is lacking in quality. I did many projects before and I am very much aware of magic of excellent content. Please suggest me in this concern.

Old 5th October 2010, 12:58 AM   #7
techmodi

Question

Hello Social-Media!

I forgot to ask you that I search for new preferences of Google related to SEO practices. What I got is almost same that we are following from many years with bit more scope. Can you please suggest me some recent preferences followed by Google for SEO practices on a website.

Old 5th October 2010, 09:52 AM   #8
techmodi

Question Several Micro Sites and One Domain!

Hello all,

In my previous question I had put emphasis on how to gain traffic and reasons not to achieve it yet. One more point which I want to raise is that my domain is used for my micro website with same theme (web design and development). As our website is related to web design and development, our web designers and web developers use the same domain for testing and we over some of the clients our domain for launching their websites. Is it harmful or create problem in generating traffic? I really don't have any knowledge in this subject. I search it but not getting, exactly what I want.

Old 5th October 2010, 11:27 AM   #9
BizPaul

Don't get discouraged Techmodi. I agree with the others, it takes a combination of time and constant work to increase traffic. Just stay focused on creating exceptional content and actively advertise your site.
It sounds like you're already doing a great job and should see a steady increase of traffic as time goes by.

BizPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 08:48 PM   #10
fbhc

I'm a little confused on these two:

"5) I myself prepared content by searching for themes of website business
6) Added content relevant for each and every page of at least 300 words and more"

Are these original content, scraped, or copied from other sites?

If they are original, why have no not submitted to article directories? If not, better start writing and spinning, and submitting.

I'm thinking there are many social bookmark sites, try ping.fm to see the major ones you can submit thru them.

Chuck

fbhc is offline   Reply With Quote