Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th January 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
PureInk

Default New Service Advice - Blogs/articles

Hi

I'm looking for a little advice.

I'm a freelance copywriter and I'm currently looking into developing a monthly service for clients. I was thinking of creating a monthly package where clients would receive two very high quality, well researched articles with plenty of links, quotes and references in them.

My questions are - how much would a company expect to pay for this kind of article and is there a market for it? I can see these longer, well researched articles being good for SEO as they should generate links and also good for generating brand awareness via social media.

What does anyone else think?

Many thanks

PureInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th February 2012, 03:07 PM   #2
kurtabel

Pricing writing is very difficult. There are article writers who will write a 500 word article for a couple bucks, and others who charge $100 for a 500 word article. Those that charge $100 have impeccable reputations, have been in the business a long time, and consistently deliver out of this world content. Those that write for a couple bucks spend less time because they are focused on quantity. As a buyer, you take into account what you paid for an article when you set your expectations.

But, starting a service, you are going to find it a little bit difficult to charge on the higher end of the spectrum without lots of reviews and a great reputation. I would recommend starting at a price that is lower than you think you are worth, and slowly increasing over time. Also, you might want to offer some customers a month of service at a discounted price in return for a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInk View Post
Hi

I'm looking for a little advice.

I'm a freelance copywriter and I'm currently looking into developing a monthly service for clients. I was thinking of creating a monthly package where clients would receive two very high quality, well researched articles with plenty of links, quotes and references in them.

My questions are - how much would a company expect to pay for this kind of article and is there a market for it? I can see these longer, well researched articles being good for SEO as they should generate links and also good for generating brand awareness via social media.

What does anyone else think?

Many thanks

kurtabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 08:45 PM   #3
MichaelAllen

There are a lot of people that are looking for freelance writers right now, even in this type of business you want to focus on your market and what areas of the market you will be targeting. Also known as a niche. This depends completely on the quality of the article, consistency, and well brand awareness.

If you are certain you are a top notch writer that can compete with the best of the best. Try finding a gig on a very well known blog and see if you cant get a few articles or blog post on there site as a guest blogger or contributor.

You will always want something that a client can go to for a reference.

A few other tips, offer some 'free' or 'discounted' rates to some active bloggers or sites in return for an honest review.

Remember its not always about SEO but capturing the readers attention. But some clients might just want the SEO factor. It all depends on the client. What kind of writer are you? These are all things that you can consider.

But all in all testing the market and finding your spot in it is important.

Hope this helps buddy

MichaelAllen

MichaelAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 10:51 AM   #4
trade-show-diva

I think there is a market, but I'm not sure how much companies would pay you. I think it depends on the quality of the article and what they do with it. If it is high quality and they like it enough to put it on their site, then I think they would pay a fair amount, as it reflects on them.
Maybe what you want to do is actually create blogs for corporate sites and then agree to create a new post every week or month on a topic they chose. I think having an ongoing relationship would be better than one at a time.
Good luck.
PS. You'll probably need to show them samples.

trade-show-diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:17 AM   #5
dbomestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInk View Post
Hi
This is tricky. There is definately a chance for this to work out, but as from a company perspective that buys a lot of articles I would have to say companies look for bulk, price, flexibility and reliability. Quality is not only factor when deciding. If writer doesn't fit in my business model I will not use him. That's how things work. I think you need to aim on what your targeted market needs, and not what you want.

I think you should probably start low as a regular writer and work your way up. Be hardworking, do the job as the clients need it, learn on the way what are needs of your market. For example, I found many writers that were good and thought they should make a lot of $$ but in the end I keep using the ones that are good, affordable (fit in my business model) and stable. Tons of writers just get tired after 3-4-5 months. It's wrong approach. Imagine if any of the big brands would after 3 months decide they don't want to work anymore? Would you count on them seriously? By becoming stable writer you will find some stable and regular clients. You will develop relationships and some of them might want to hire you exclusively to work for them. Some of them might decide to hire you for more detailed quality articles and would hire you for bigger bucks. When you develop relationships with many clients, than ask them would they like your service. You might offer the best articles on the internet but if I need 4 articles a month and you do only 2 for me than your quality is useless to me.

I just wanna say, quality is not the only factor for deciding when hiring someone. Most writers over estimate themselves, that's a problem, you gotta be realistic. There is ton of good writers out there looking for a job. To get the wanted $$$ per article you don't just offer price and wait for the job. You gotta fight your way up, you gotta earn reputation, you gotta build a brand of yourself, you gotta prove you are reliable to ask for higher price.

I am saying that because I have writers that charge me more than others and I have no problem paying that bigger price. But the key thing, they are not rude, they don't overcharge, they work for that money, they provide excellent quality, they communicate, they ALWAYS do edits for free, bottom line they offer superb service at affordable price. And this is why they will always have work from me. If I have 10 articles to write I will first ask them and than look elsewhere if they can't do it for whatever the reason. I might be flexible and delay my deadlines for them. They earned they trust and I am willing to be flexible with them for that, they can demand more because they earned that right.

So my advice for you. Your idea might work, but most business people know it's not about the projects it's about the people behind the projects. Most overnight successful businesses had people who learned how system works for a long long period. So your idea might be perfect for some companies, but if you don't have proper conditions than it will probably fail. Find first 10-20 companies who will hire you and be satisfied with your work and than ask them if they would like this type of service.

And for the end, I will just say that I have US writers doing articles for $15. However, I have a team of researchers who prepare everything for writers before and than they don't need to spend time researching. Results are great with this approach. If a writer would do detailed research but I mean really detailed, providing some new extra value not just "another article" I might be ready to pay $50 per article. I know I'm not the "market" I know I might be cheap but I also know my numbers and I know how much is too much for me to pay and for how much I can pay per article.

I hope this advices help you.

dbomestar is offline   Reply With Quote