Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd March 2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Ferros

Default Brochure And Flyer Design

Hey guys, I've got a question I hope you all can help me out with.

As something to do on the side, I've offered to help my father out with his business. Business is good, however, it can always be doing better. We are an OBC, offering virtual / physical offices, in addition to professional office services.

We recently concluded that we wanted to make some brochures or flyers. Something to put around the local Starbucks and etc. for entrepreneurs that can't afford, or aren't aware of, virtual and physical offices and try to hold meetings with clients or partners in a coffee shop.
In short: Pretty focused campaign, relatively small.

In order to make his life easier and be economical, I've been trying to find programs to make our little advertisement. I'm a pretty capable guy on the computer, and have experience with the whole Microsoft Office Suite and various Adobe products, though not much with graphical design.

Given that most amateur (Microsoft Publisher - Though I haven't used the latest version) programs come out looking.. well. Amateur. Does anyone have suggestions for programs? I've borrowed Quark Express from a friend, though this seems like something that would take me a month to learn correctly, and doesn't supply any kind of graphical design. We have plenty of stock photo and design accounts, so that's not a horrible issue. Just need something intuitive that won't cause my brain to go into seizure.

Alternatively - If you guys think this is a poor route to go, feel free to suggest alternatives that you have either used, or as a professional, think would be better suited.

Thanks!

Ferros is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th March 2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Createllects

If you have utilized adobe products in the past try utilizing Indesign and/or illustrator. You can also design within photoshop (however laying out type in photoshop is not recommended).

You can also find freelance graphic designers based on an alloted budget that may provide the look and feel you are seeking.

Best of Luck!

Createllects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:55 PM   #3
n_touch

You can download a 30 day trial of Adobe CS 5. This will give you illustrator, fireworks, photoshop. This is the suite that we use to do all of our design work. Like mention above, do not use photoshop for your type setting. You can design your background and those things in photoshop and the move to illustrator or indesign. I myself use illustrator, but one of my designers swears by indesign so it is just a matter of preference. The 30 days should give you a good amount of time to see if you like it and if it will be something that you can use. Good luck with your design.

Old 10th March 2011, 01:13 AM   #4
oldbuddy
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to oldbuddy

If you want something outside the box, I use $100 Bill business cards that you can put your own full color ad text in with a simple design page on their website. I did a video that shows how on YouTube

Old 17th March 2011, 03:06 AM   #5
altaimage

Default I can help

ballpark figure...

x10,000 DL Flyers on 150gsm Gloss Printing 4 colour process front and black on reverse comes in at $440 or could do x10,000 DL Flyers on 150gsm Gloss Printing 4 colour process on both sides comes in at $522

Both these prices include design, print and delivery to your offices, deposit is 50% prior to design starting and the remainder when we go to print.

Could work in some other prices that might be a bit more favourable depending on stock weights - 150gsm is somewhere in the middle price and quality wise, you could go for x10,000 postcards (145x95) on a 300gsm stock printing full colour both sides (gloss laminated fronts) and including design could do for as little as $650 which might be another way to get noticed - they tend to stick out in the mail more than a standard DL Flyer.

Just think everyone thinks design costs a fortune these days and it doesn't have to!!

altaimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Ferros

Back!

Going to ressurect my several-month dead thread here.

Long story short - we decided, somewhat haphazardly, to try out a television commercial. $1,000 later, and no discernible effect, my original plan for print advertising is back on the plate.

Now I have two quick questions for you all:

i. What are the pro's and con's between going with an individual contract vs. a bid.

ii. How does the consultation process work? Is it as simple as: "Here is the general theme" and we go from there? Or do we also try and custom tailor the message, etc? Just wondering what the design company does aside from.. producing a design!

Yours,
Hunter

Ferros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 03:17 PM   #7
danielkanuck

You can use Adobe Photoshop, and change and modify some psd templates. This is a quick and easy way to come up with ideas on what your next flyer design should be. PSD templates are available all across the web.

Old 15th May 2011, 03:42 PM   #8
oldbuddy
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to oldbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferros View Post
Back!

Going to ressurect my several-month dead thread here.

Long story short - we decided, somewhat haphazardly, to try out a television commercial. $1,000 later, and no discernible effect, my original plan for print advertising is back on the plate.

Now I have two quick questions for you all:

i. What are the pro's and con's between going with an individual contract vs. a bid.

ii. How does the consultation process work? Is it as simple as: "Here is the general theme" and we go from there? Or do we also try and custom tailor the message, etc? Just wondering what the design company does aside from.. producing a design!

Yours,
Hunter
It sounds like you are bent on becoming one of those statistics that come online and complain how they lost $30,000 trying to make money, when you could just take a step back and learn a few skills to do it yourself for a LOT less. Even the Photoshop idea above could be reduced by grabbing Photoshop Elements that reads .psd file too.

Old 17th May 2011, 03:22 PM   #9
danielkanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbuddy View Post
It sounds like you are bent on becoming one of those statistics that come online and complain how they lost $30,000 trying to make money, when you could just take a step back and learn a few skills to do it yourself for a LOT less. Even the Photoshop idea above could be reduced by grabbing Photoshop Elements that reads .psd file too.
Good point about Photoshop. You can pick up a cheap version for it at Walmart for $90.

Old 17th May 2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Tri-Win

Last time i checked you can download a 30 day trial of all the adobe software, but I would suggest Indesign if you are going to purchase anything. You are doing layout not photo manipulation so stay away from Photoshop and save your commercial printer a major headache.

Photoshop elements is not meant to do ANY layout work so that is not a good idea.

As a designer I always suggest paying to get your layout work done. It will look better, be produced to industry standards, and will cost you 50-75 per hour depending on who you go with. If you are designing a simple tri-fold brochure you could budget $500 and get good quality print advertising.