Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th January 2011, 12:43 AM   #1
Humerus

Default Debating On Optimizing For Product Itself Or Related Information

Here's the question - if I sell a product, and my "angle" is teaching people related things about that product, is it better to try and get ranked for the content that I write that is more instructional... or the actual product itself?

To explain, I have a company that sells reusable travel mugs. I specialize in the ones specifically that look like the disposable ones you get at the coffeehouses.

My "thing" if you will, is teaching people how to DIY their fancy coffee drinks and save money by getting a good reusable mug and not paying $5 for their latte. Making them at home and using a reusable mug that looks like a disposable one still gives it that coffeehouse "feel" of indulging but saves a lot of money.

I've written an eBook that I give away for free on my website on how to make iced and frozen (frappuccino) drinks at home.

But my website is not really converting. I know it needs a redesign and will be getting one hopefully in the next 6 months. I know people love the products because when I do shows, they snatch them up... people always comment on them when I'm out and about, etc.

I haven't done a whole lot with the website yet because I am really unsure what I am needing to target. And perhaps that's what I need help with - I could try and go for keywords that are related to "reusable travel mug" or something like that, or would it be better to go for keywords that are more related to the educating and content that I publish?

I don't think there are as many buyers in the second category but it is the "low hanging fruit" that I see here, or so it would seem. I am really kind of thinking I should try and find a keyword here and there that is related to the product itself that doesn't have high competition but I am running up against a wall and can't seem to find good ones.

Any thoughts?

Humerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th January 2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Jax4fun

From what you shared I don't see why you have to choose.
Your website can be focused around a product, but it can still provide tons of useful info.

This way you can optimize for the product and the info. Then people will not only buy the product from you, but also use your website as an info resource on the related info you mentioned.

One idea that comes to mind. Is a website dedicated to your product with an attached blog page. The blog could have the related info and serve as content for current and future customers.

Hope that helps.

Old 26th January 2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

I think Jax is right, if you have a website with an attached blog to it, and you have relevant content on it, it will build more traffic. Once people see you as an ''expert in the field'' they will respect your opinion, and if you have a related product that you are selling, its more likely that they will turn to the expert to purchase that item.

Gary Barzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 04:50 AM   #4
LloydBurrell

I can see one single reason to choose between the two: establishing quality. However, if you manage to keep your tone professional when teaching and friendly when selling, then you should be able to do both. Also, do some research and find out exactly what does your competition to increase credibility and overall traffic.

LloydBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 05:07 PM   #5
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

If your site isn't converting, optimizing to bring in more traffic may be premature. Bringing through more traffic to a site that (for whatever reason) doesn't "resonate" with visitors is just a waste of bandwidth.

You'll get a lot more "bang for the buck" by focusing your attention first on finding and fixing whatever the problems are that are stopping people from buying.

You know the product is good, because -- as you say -- people "snatch them up" at tradeshows. Try thinking about what you do or say differently at those tradeshows compared to what you do and say on your website. It could just be a matter of rewriting some of your web copy, updating to higher quality product images or adding a trust seal or two to your checkout page.

In other words, there are probably things you can do right now, without redesigning your entire website, that could start bringing in more sales and revenue.

You might want to check out some resources like Marketing Experiments (www.marketingexperiments.com), Psychotactics (www.psychotactics.com) and Grokdotcom (www.grokdotcom.com) to learn more about things you can do to maximize conversions.

As others here have said, there's no real reason why you have to choose between product-related keywords and "education" related keywords. In fact, especially if you're optimizing for organic search, you want to cast your net wide when it comes to keywords, so I'd definitely try to go for both if it were me.

--Torka

Old 12th March 2011, 02:28 AM   #6
n_touch

I agree, why do you have to focus in on one of them? If you are going to be able to give useful information on coffee, then use that. Since you are selling a product, use that as well. There is no rule that you have to follow on set of keywords or keyword phrases. Just make sure that you are providing relevant content to that keyword and you will provide your customers with a reason to return.

Old 19th April 2011, 05:41 PM   #7
tobyR

get ranked for both I reckon. surely that makes sense I would have thought? thats what i'd do

tobyR is offline   Reply With Quote