Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th March 2011, 03:16 PM   #1
jaairey
VIP Contributor

I doubt it. The algorithms for ranking take in a range of features on any page and site. Thinking about it a few of my title tags have repeated words since it makes sense for those particular pages.

I always view rules with skepticism.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th March 2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Terry Payne

I haven't read the rule book (my shameless disclaimer), but I haven't had any problem with it either. I normally include the page title and site name, which often share a keyword or two.

Personally, I wouldn't subscribe to the notion of putting five or six keywords in the title, plus the company name. I don't see the point unless you're trying to rank that one page for all those keywords -- and I don't recommend that. There are better ways. If that's what you had in mind, spread the keywords out among a few pages and then promote each page. You'll get better results.

All the best!

Terry Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 11:48 PM   #3
oldbuddy
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to oldbuddy

When I read something on a forum, I try to remind myself that all it takes to be an expert online, is a connection and a keyboard.

Old 16th March 2011, 06:49 AM   #4
LloydBurrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Payne View Post
Personally, I wouldn't subscribe to the notion of putting five or six keywords in the title, plus the company name.
I agree. I see no context where this would be advisable. As long as you keep it simple, keywords will show up naturally, because keywords, as people often forget, are meant to synthesize regular content. Titles do the same thing, so it's only natural to have a couple of keywords there and completely artificial to have 5...

Old 16th March 2011, 07:43 AM   #5
John Peterr

why don't you check the google webmaster guidelines, try to use the combination of the keyword which gives the similar sense.

John Peterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 07:03 AM   #6
smallbizmike

Please check google webmaster guidelines. It will surely help a lot.

smallbizmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 03:30 PM   #7
n_touch

The fact that they are having you stuff the title with keywords is the first thing I would worry about. They are basically taking what people used to do with the meta keywords and throwing that into your title. What I would do is find the main keyword that you are looking to use for that page and have that in the title. Spread that over a few pages and then work on all of the pages when you are doing all of your link building and on page seo work. Repeating a term in your title is not bad as long as it makes sense.

The other thing that you have to remember with the title, is you want it to look user friendly. If that title popped up on Google, would you read it and want to click on it? That is the main thing, you can be on the top of every keyword, but if you are not giving searchers a reason to click on your link, then all of your work is for not.

Old 18th March 2011, 12:01 AM   #8
n_touch

I think that its a great title. You get your keywords in it, and you are making it to where someone looking for that would find the title very informing and inviting.

Old 2nd June 2011, 09:01 PM   #9
lw-daryljames

Best quote in this thread = "I try to remind myself that all it takes to be an expert online, is a connection and a keyboard". How true, how true.

Daryl James
Virtual CFO Services

lw-daryljames is offline   Reply With Quote