Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Insurance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th March 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
kember74

Default Insurance Confusion

I am in the investigation stages of what it would entail to start a small business selling gourmet cookies locally and by mail. I am wondering what types of insurance would be required for a food based business like this. I would be making them on sight and selling them on sight + mail. I am guessing there is some type of liability/protection against customer issues? The facilities need insured...what types and where do I find these types of thing? Thanks in advance.

kember74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th March 2012, 02:10 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Since you'll have customers on-site and you'll be dealing with food products, I'm sure there are probably several types of liability insurance you'll need. In addition, there may be state or local ordinances that affect what kind of business insurance you're required to carry.

Your best bet would be to find a commercial insurance broker (or two, never hurts to compare) in your area and ask them. You might also check with your local business development office (if there is one) or the local Chamber of Commerce to see if they can steer you in the right direction.

Of course, you'll also want to check with your local health department to see what the requirements will be for your baking facilities and store area.

--Torka

Old 9th May 2012, 11:18 AM   #3
chizcurlz

First, I would recommend getting a business insurance. Business insurance is intended to cover virtually every aspect of a business. For example, most business owners have a policy that protects them financially if they lose their business property. Fire and theft insurance would be two means of doing this. Business owners can also purchase a coverage that protects their inventory and their equipment. They can also purchase a form of protection in case an employee is injured on the job. You can ask an insurance professional so you can get the best coverage for your business.

chizcurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 07:09 PM   #4
honitel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizcurlz View Post
First, I would recommend getting a business insurance. Business insurance is intended to cover virtually every aspect of a business. For example, most business owners have a policy that protects them financially if they lose their business property. Fire and theft insurance would be two means of doing this. Business owners can also purchase a coverage that protects their inventory and their equipment. They can also purchase a form of protection in case an employee is injured on the job. You can ask an insurance professional so you can get the best coverage for your business.
Chiz, you got always the point Business insurance is the best and first thing to get. Amiss?

honitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Wren Thomos

Quote:
Originally Posted by honitel View Post
Chiz, you got always the point Business insurance is the best and first thing to get. Amiss?
I 100 % Agree with honitel

Wren Thomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 10:38 AM   #6
chizcurlz

Thanks Honitel and Wren! I'm glad you guys appreciate my posts.

chizcurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 04:42 AM   #7
Karry

You can check the small business insurance polices for your business. You can also ask any small business owner about insurance policies which they have already bought. Also contact your nearest insurance brokers office to know about the what part of my small business can be covered in small business insurance plans. Hope, it helped you!!

Old 23rd July 2013, 08:19 PM   #8
platnumcn

Hi

Is business insurance good enough to get you out of a situation, where a customer has filed a suit for issues in food product?

Old 29th November 2015, 11:01 PM   #9
LaneKreps

Send a message via Skype™ to LaneKreps

There are so many types of business insurance types. I would like to recommend you following insurances for your food business.

1. Workers compensation
This coverage can replace lost wages, pay for medical treatment and protect your business and its assets if an employee suffers a serious injury.

2. Property coverage
Protect your building and contents from losses such as fire, sewer troubles and more.

LaneKreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 12:17 AM   #10
david14beck

When you’re in the food and beverage industry, protection for your business is one ingredient that can never be left out. BOP insurance coverages designed for the unique exposures of food and beverage manufacturers of all types and sizes.