Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd February 2006, 12:43 AM   #1
stay_at_home

Smile What Should Be Your Daily Budget??

I tried this being an affiliate, now I found this other great company that I want to advertise for. But I had started my campaigns and I had the daily budget at 0.50 as a daily budget, and 0.05 per click each campaign (because I was running 3 campaigns and wanted to keep my monthly budget at $45 since I just wanted to see if it worked) then I dropped down to one campaign at $1.50 daily budget, and 0.10 per click and then I was told it should be at 2.41 for a daily budget, and then I was told that it was WAY to low and that it should be set at $50 for a daily budget and 0.05 - 0.10 per click. What is right??? I wasn't getting ANY traffic at all--everything was zero, and have definately NOT set it at $50 a day yet. Any info would be so great!

stay_at_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd February 2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Old Welsh Guy

Advertising should not cost you anything. I know that might seem a simple and possibly stupid statement, but it is a fact.

ROI (return on investment) is KING in advertising, and if you are not making money then you must re-evaluate.

Are you tracking conversions? are you converting? Better to have a small amount of business than none at all for the same money.

Have you taken the time to properly set up your campaign, adverts, landing pages etc? are you ready to maximise your traffic for conversions? If yes, then the next question is can you afford to invest/gamble $20? if $50 is your daily budget, then $20 is the best part of half a day, right? So run a $20 campaign and track the conversions. Then re-invest the invome to build towards the $50 a day. This is how you speculate.

Old 23rd February 2006, 10:10 AM   #3
friese

Send a message via Skype™ to friese

Old Welsh Guy makes some great points. What keywords are you trying to hit with your campaign? If the keywords are pretty broad, then increasing your cost per click will get you higher in the SERPs. If the keywords are specific, then having a budget of $5 a day would suffice.

For example, I own a web development firm in Alabama. I don't even try to compete for the term "web design" or other general terms because I would spend a fortune and probably not get many returns. But for the keyphrase "web design in alabama" and it's variations I only pay about $20 a month. Plus I get a decent ROI.

My two cents...

Old 23rd February 2006, 01:15 PM   #4
stay_at_home

Thumbs up Keywords--any sights with suggestions/books?

I had the keywords set up exactly for this particular work at home business, working as an affiliate. That didn't work, and yieled no clicks. Although they gave me the exact keywords to use. I was told if you don't want your ad to show up with certain keywords, you can also put a "-sign" like "-free online business" -- let me know if this is not correct. Now we are into another at home business that we directly benefit from, some of the old keywords will work, but others need to be changed. Any suggestions on any great websites, or ebooks to purchase, etc. that would be a good source of information for properly learning how to set up great keywords. And something ligit! Not these places that have you turning around and around and leave you just as confused as when you first started. That's what happened to me with this first company. Thank you!

stay_at_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:47 PM   #5
a1steelbuilding

yes you can use the "-" sign so that your ad will not show for words that include that term. this is helpful for dealing with adjectives that you want to avoid. if you are advertising widgets, you could use "-free" so your ad does not appear if someone searches for free widgets. Before you start tweking with the "-" you should first narrow your keyword list down. The web design example is a good one. Don't try to go for the most traffic, instead look for what terms will convert into sales the most often.

a1steelbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 03:09 PM   #6
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I am just digging into PPC right now and one piece of advice I was given by a mentor of mine is that you have to spend some coin in the beginning to really see what works and what doesn't (part of your testing process). i.e. if you only want to pay for a few clicks a day you won't really be able to judge what works and what doesn't.

Once you have observed the trends (which you should be able to do quite quickly), you begin eliminating the losers and "peeling and sticking" the winners into ad groups of their own.

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 03:29 AM   #7
Old Welsh Guy

To carry on from the post above. When I am setting out on optimising a new site for myself or a client, I first gather the keyword list (it is normally hundreds or even thousands). I then set up adwords campaigns that are monitored to the max. This is the only way I am truly happy about keyword research. When the test ends, and all the stats are in, I know exactly who searches for what, how many times, and the sort of CTR we get for those phrases, together with the conversion rate. Does it cost money? You bet it does as we waste a lot of clicks on words that don't convert. But that is better than wasting hundreds of hours optimising for them only to find they don't work then!.

When we are done researching we have
1. a list of the best converting words to optimise for
2. a set of campaigns for adwords that we KNOW will work until, and beyond the time the organic stuff kicks in.

Old 1st April 2006, 03:40 AM   #8
VirtualOffice

Cool Our Adwords experiment

Hi there...so we started using Adwords thirty days ago, one billing cycle - it was an experiment at first.
We've three accounts running right now and have set each one at only ten dollars a month, during this experimental phase we wanted to see how keyword changes would affect click-throughs, etc.
We've two ads running for our own sites and one for a client in publishing.
We created an ad for PHPBlogManager and have seen literally thousands of impressions, around a hundred click-throughs, and maybe a quarter of those we think have created blogs on the system.
The other ad is for my husbands programming tools site, just his personal project - again, thousands of impressions, maybe 75-ish clicks for the month.

Our publishing client had fewer impressions and clicks over-all but she had some pretty tough competition with the keywords, we've since manipulated her keywords for this upcoming month and will see what results we get.

I guess my point is that you don't have to set a huge budget to get results, we started with 10$ a month and are keeping it there for now as we become more familiar with the Adwords system.

In any case, blogs are being populated via the ad so we're happy, and our client was invited to speak at a major publishing conference, comped the whole way, because of her ad, so she's happy

VirtualOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

10$ a month?! WOW. I know you can't reveal your key phrases here, but how did you manage such a low budget? Were your phrases competitive?

Do you feel the traffic you attracted (the ones who converted) was targeted (fit the bill of your target market)?

I started up a campaign to generate interest in my newsletter, just to get my feet wet with Adwords, and I spent about a hundred bucks (CAD) in just a few weeks! I didn't get "thousands" of impressions, but I did get about 100 clicks at about 0.3-0.4% CTR. I do feel that the clicks I got were probably very targeted ones ... my ads were quite specific in how they were written and I was using fairly competitive phrases. My newsletter subscription count has definitely increased although not as much as I would of liked

Interesting.
Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 08:17 PM   #10
VirtualOffice

Cool :)

Hi Karri,
Well I actually wouldn't mind at all telling you the keywords we've used - if I knew what they are (my husband is the expert in that department, I just write the ads )
Though, I've written the ad and managed keyword selection for my own VA site but haven't launched the ad yet.

I'm not exaclty a scientist in this arena just yet but I'd say in terms of the PHP Blog Manager ad our click throughs were most definitely reaching the target audience just because it increased our sign up rate from the time the ad started running.
We've just updated the program so that people can host their blogs with US (initially it was just available for FTP setup) and so have also updated the ad to reflect that, it will be interesting to see this month what impact that has....I'd expect quite a bit as many people were intimidated by the process of setting up the blog via FTP.

As for the other ad, it was my mistake - that ad is actually for a programming directory connected with my husband's programming ebooks and tutorial site - he says the link submissions have doubled since we launched the ad.

I'm going to send the VA ad out as soon as I've space for new clients - we're travelling soon so I wanted to let it run during those three months and see who I can interact with/set up accounts with.
If I can reach one new viable client, then I'd say the ten dollars a month is worth it

I see you're a VA as well Your site is fabulous, very professional! It's great that you find time for a newsletter....I've managed a little blog and news feature but haven't quite organized myself toward a full fledged newsletter.

If you's like to talk to Hamid about how he manages our keywords for the ads I'm sure he could help out - he's fabulous with these things. Just PM me, or you can send me an email via my site.

VirtualOffice is offline   Reply With Quote