Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
BrittMalka

Cool Make Extra Money By Sending Out Daily Pre-Seasonal Mails

There are many ways to use auto responders and newsletters.

Personally, I've found that the best times of the year to send out lots of newsletters are just before the Easter and Christmas.

If your blog or site has anything that could be just slightly related to Christmas or Easter, these are great seasons during which to make money.

This was something I discovered by chance.

For a few years, I'd been sending out a newsletter with tips and tricks about computers, homepages and the Internet. Once a week, I would send out five tips, and then put them online at my site as well.

After a while, I only wrote an ‘appetizer’ in the newsletter, and asked people to continue reading the remainder of the article online. I installed software so that I could track and measure the popularity of each tip.

It didn't surprise me at all to see a Christmas tip as the number one ‘most read’ tip since it was December, after all, but when I kept seeing this tip on top of my 'most viewed' list several months later, I began to suspect something:

Christmas tips were so hot before Christmas that it was hard to gain the same success with tips about other subjects.

So when November arrived next year, I was ready. I started to send out daily Christmas tips about Java Scripts; screen savers and other items related to the season.

People loved them. I received large numbers of new subscribers, and told my existing subscribers that, if they didn't want the extra Christmas tips, they could just unsubscribe from those - but still receive my ordinary tips. A few made this choice. After all, not everybody celebrates Christmas, so I didn't want to appear intrusive.

That year, I reached a new record in my income. So I figured... if people go crazy over Christmas tips, what about Easter?

Of course, I took action to find out, and “Yes”, people liked those daily tips, too. Not as much as the Christmas tips, but since I also put those tips online, I could continue to get traffic from them - and to make money with them.

If you copy my method you should see results almost immediately, and continue to see long term results.

This year, for instance, I had the best month ever with AdSense from some of my old Easter tips, even though I haven't touched that home site for a year and a half.

So if you write about tips for computers, homepages and the Internet, it's easy to find seasonally related material. Likewise if you write about gifts, hobbies etc.

Take a look at your niches and see if you can find any with a relationship to seasonal happenings. If you can, you have an easy way to make some extra money.

Old 27th April 2010, 08:05 AM   #2
mktgbiz

I like it. Good post.

Being intrusive to those who SUBSCRIBE shouldn't be a concern. Now if you were sending it out ot strangers than that would be intrusive.....but not to subscribers. It's ok to ba intrusive.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 09:51 AM   #3
BrittMalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz View Post
I like it. Good post.

Being intrusive to those who SUBSCRIBE shouldn't be a concern. Now if you were sending it out ot strangers than that would be intrusive.....but not to subscribers. It's ok to ba intrusive.
That's true, and I even took care to let the subscribers choose whether or not they wanted my Xmas and Easter tips.

I don't celebrate those seasons myself (but business is business, and my tips make people happy), and I respect that others don't want tips about them.

Old 29th April 2010, 10:36 PM   #4
JC1227

Thanks for sharing the story. It is quite educational about a nice way for marketing.

I've yet to do any mailing-list, users/audiences just come back to my site from time to time, but I'm thinking about maybe creating a mailing list though.

Old 6th May 2010, 01:47 PM   #5
BrittMalka

You should, Brite, You should.

For the money, yes, but in many other ways, having a list is so giving.

I've even made friends amongst my subscribers, and I've had plenty of joyful moments, receiving letters from grateful subscribers.

That's worth all the time, you put into it.