Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th July 2013, 11:43 PM   #1
uspackaging

Default How Do You Brand Your Website?

With new Google algorithm changes, there has been a lot of talk about website branding. Instead of only focusing on link building, webmasters should work on branding their sites. What can you do to brand your website?

Old 6th July 2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Abhinandan Garg

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspackaging View Post
With new Google algorithm changes, there has been a lot of talk about website branding. Instead of only focusing on link building, webmasters should work on branding their sites. What can you do to brand your website?
You already doing it, a bit of part. You have added a signature that shows the Brand name instead of its "Keywords" so that people can recognize the link before visit the site.

Few more things you can try for build a brand:

Get famous in Social Media
Youtube Videos
Advertisement PPC and other
SEO for People not for search engine
If you are a Rich business, then try TV advertisement too
other offline activities

Abhinandan Garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 05:18 AM   #3
Mellisa Smith

Talking part in online discussion like in forum, question and answers as per your niche will also help to build brand. Social media is always remaining at the top to build brand. Three things are most important for successful brand building which are consistency, quality content and authenticity.

Mellisa Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 03:33 PM   #4
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
You make some pretty good points here. While link building is still important, SEO nowadays aren't just about anoynmously getting links from unrelated directories. Branding is also the reason why things like authorship and social media are important.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 12:38 AM   #5
uspackaging

Thanks for the info guys. Any specific websites? We try to stay in front of customers on the folowing social sites:

facebook
linkedin
youtube
stumble
twitter
pinterest
Google+

We always try to add relevant and useful content. Any other suggestions to help brand?

Old 9th July 2013, 08:41 AM   #6
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
facebook
linkedin
youtube
stumble
twitter
pinterest
Google+
That's alot of social networks. Do you find that you're having success on all of them and/or have enough unique content for all of them?

I'm just curious if it wouldn't make more sense to focus your energy on the top 3 or so that are best for your business.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
NewNine

The search engines also want to see two other things in branding:
  • real people, and
  • microdata
Google et al are giving more weight now to websites that can "verify" that they're run by actual people and organizations. They want to see names, bio photos, etc - all of which are structured with / verified by microdata (see schema.org).

Sites with structured data and verified authors/organizations will show higher in the ranks and will also benefit from additional cards/side information in search results.

For businesses with products, be sure to tag every product with microdata and tag the company's contact info/location with organization data. If you have a "team" page or company blog, consider tagging the authors and running it under real names.

If you're running a blog, be sure to use your real name, link it to your social media profiles, and use microdata to tag the author, article, title, date, etc.

NewNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 11:01 AM   #8
NewNine

Google et al now want to see content from real people and organizations. If two websites are exactly the same, the one that "verifies" it is real will take precedence. This is done in two main ways:
  • use rich snippets / microdata (see schema.org) to properly tag your products, organization, etc
  • create and verify business listings on Google, Bing, and others
  • build a base of fans/followers on relevant social media sites
For the third, "relevant" could mean an organization's social media, or an author's / user's social media assuming it is linked from your website. (For example, a blog author's Google+ and Facebook profiles.)

You don't need to be on all of the social networks. Instead, be important and powerful on a select few and use them for building your business. Google will follow suit.

Having 20 followers on each of 100 social media sites with infrequent, uninteresting updates will do little for your SEO. Having 2,000 followers on 1 or 2 sites with great interaction is much better for both your SEO and your sales.

NewNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I too have all the social media going on and it is hard work to keep it all up to date - I have Twitter and Facebook linked together, however, I seem to use Twitter nowadays for getting in touch with companies if I have a problem - I don't follow it, I find it very boring and time consuiming for very little reward

Facebook is good for branding and easy for your users to get involved with you, but if you are not on top of that now you get pushed down the rankings and hard, in some cases if you are not constantly adding content when you post not all your members even see it unless they visit your page

I also run a Pinterest but I can't say I am overly enthused there, I have some followers but I lack the time to keep it updated

As long as your website and social media follow a theme then your branding will come to light - as people move around the internet and see your logo and tag lines they will start to remember you

What with blogging, link building, social media, videos, images it is hard to keep up

I do agree, however, that websites should be built for consumers not search engines, if you get that right it works for both

Nutty

Old 10th July 2013, 03:38 AM   #10
karetra

The ultimate goal of branding is to make people recall you instead of your competitors. The more frequently you come closer to them with your brand & slogan, the more they come to know & trust you. Use of signatures at the end of emails & free articles on ezines are also helpful in brand promotion.

karetra is offline   Reply With Quote