Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th April 2007, 04:28 AM   #1
Markymark

Default Any Ideas????????

Hey there! I'm Mark, 29 yrs. old. I'm a Filipino and staying here in the philippines. I just thought if you guys can help me.....I really wanted to put a small businness but I dnt have much capital. So, if u can suggest something for me it would be really a big help..........Thanks.

Markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th April 2007, 05:08 AM   #2
ibmoch

Send a message via Yahoo to ibmoch

Hi Markymark, what do you like?

ibmoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Markymark

hey thanks.......can you give me some details. Sorry, new guy thing.

Markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 06:28 AM   #4
ibmoch

Send a message via Yahoo to ibmoch

What skills do you have? example web design, traider, etc. May be other members on this forum can also help you

ibmoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 11:48 AM   #5
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Hey there, Mark!

Great to have you here at the forum.

What are your interests? You can start your business with what you like to do. At least you know more of your future business. Best of luck!

Old 25th April 2007, 07:31 PM   #6
JeffLump

Default Hi, Mark

Yes, I agree with what everyone has been replying back to your question. You have to find a business that is legit, but more importantly will be of interest to you - and one which you will have a passion for. If you get involved with a business which doesn't excite you, doesn't merit your full attention in building, or doesn't offer a service or product useful to your potential client, (or customer) than you won't be successful at it - and you'll quickly get frustrated and quit.
Find something that you are passionate about - I happen to be into personal development myself. I'm always looking to improve myself as a person, and learning things. I feel blessed that I found a business oppt. that allows me to not only experience something that excites me, but one in which I am open and willing to offer to other people searching for a similar business oppt.
Good luck, but first search within yourself to see what excites you, do research online, then just follow your dreams!

JeffLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 10:53 AM   #7
QwkSand
VIP Contributor

Hi Mark...

You have to start with what you're good at and what you love to do. Then research on the industry that you might be going into, as well as other factors like the country's economy, your target market, demographics, location, and lots more. Open your mind to what the people in your area need and lack, or you could also look into the popular niches today.

Start from there, then when you've decided what to do, it's only a matter of organizing and planning things to get started.

Wish you all the luck!

My Agent of Value: Outsource Link Building
QwkSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 12:42 AM   #8
Adstamatic

Hi Mark,

Im in a slight disagreance with some of the other opinions in this tread regarding going with something that you are passionate about.

I think that many business dont work because people just simply want to make what they are passionate about into their business. They dont look objectionally at the market places supply and demand for such a business becuase they are soo in love with their idea that it doesnt matter to them. They also dont often have the right business or personal skills to develop the business once it has been set up, this is because they are good at what the business does, rather then being good at business. (read e-myth revisited)

Speaking from experience, I have two business that are in industries that I dont really have a particular passion for at all. I started these because I saw a gap in the market that wasnt being catered for. What i do have a passion for is waking up each morning and working on getting the business to be successful.

Making your passion your 'job' can also be a very quick way to ruin your passion. I know plenty of people who were soo passionate about something, made it their full time job and it killed their passion.

Be passionate about why and how you are doing business, not necessarily what you are doing.

Anyway, just a difference in opinion.

Good luck,
Adam

Adstamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 01:32 AM   #9
east2west
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to east2west

Sorry Adam no offense,

But I strongly disagree with you. Being passionate and liking what you're doing is a must in my opinion. I could quote any number of books that have been written, and studies showing that people who don't like their job are far less productive.

Everyone gets burned out from time to time with what their doing,but that's when it's time to take a vacation and come back refreshed, but someone who was passionate about there business then losses that passion, more then likely comes from their business not doing well, or their lack of management skills, then just losing their fire.

I've always thought that if you are not passionate about your business and what your doing, then you are going to have a far more difficult time in convincing others they should be passionate about doing business with you. Unless you are just a good BS'er, in which case most experienced business men and women will see right through that.

Sure, it's possible to start a business and succeed in a field that you have no interest in, but what I think people have been saying here is, that if you have no experience with your own business, like the author of this thread has suggested, then the best place to start is, with ideas and/or in areas that you know about and like. Since you will be learning the ropes about operating a business for the first time, itís best to not couple that with having to start from scratch learning about a new industry or product that you are totally unfamiliar with.

http://www.azattacks.com

Last edited by east2west; 28th April 2007 at 01:35 AM.
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 02:32 AM   #10
Adstamatic

Quote:
Sorry Adam no offense,
Certainly none taken, but thanks all the same.

Quote:
...and studies showing that people who don't like their job are far less productive. .
totally agree, people who dont like their jobs are more than likely far less productive. Im not saying you should like you business, i think you should love your business or of course it will fail, what im saying is that it doesnt have to be a business that sells a product/service that you are obsessed with

Lets say I have a business selling widgets. Now these widgets have a purpose, there is a stong demand for them and my clients love them. I personally am not really that passionate about widgets, however i have a passion for my widget selling business, not just because it makes me money but also because the excitement of growing the business and interacting with customers/staff/suppliers etc and being able to make the decisions about the business is what I love.

Whats wrong with that? I think that can be an extremely good business and as long as the owner is passionate about doing business.

On the other hand, lets say I love Surfing, Im passionate about it so i decide that im going to start a learn to surf school. Never mind that there are already 5 in my local area and 2 major players with massive networks already in place, im passionate about surfing so thats the main thing right?

Quote:
I've always thought that if you are not passionate about your business and what your doing, then you are going to have a far more difficult time in convincing others they should be passionate about doing business with you.
People dont buy the products off me because they are passionate about my business or my products. They buy them from me because:
1. I sell a good quality product at a good price.
2. I have good customer service.
3. I make it easy for them to purchase from me
etc, etc

None of these reasons are directly or exclusively related to widgets, they are things that I have worked hard and passionately at in my business to sell widgets and keep my customers happy.

Quote:
Since you will be learning the ropes about operating a business for the first time, itís best to not couple that with having to start from scratch learning about a new industry or product that you are totally unfamiliar with.
In many ways I agree. But I think it depends if you want learning or success to be the major outcome of the business. I think that if what you're passionate about is in an industry that is very competitive then, as a first business, it will be very hard to penetrate into that market regardless on how much you love the product/service you are selling, unless there is an increasing demand or you can deliver much better than the others.

Adstamatic is offline   Reply With Quote