Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Jonathon82

Send a message via Skype™ to Jonathon82
Default Help With Small Business Ideas

Hey, Im brand new to the site. Im 25 and figured its about time start my career. I refuse to work hourly ever again. I really would like some ideas. I was thinking a pizza place or maybe carpet cleaning, vending machines( I allready have a few) I open to suggestions any help would be apreciated. Cheers.

Jonathon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st February 2008, 01:22 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Welcome, Jonathon!

Starting a business you plan to run for the long haul involves long hours, potential sacrifices (financial and personal), and lots and lots of hard work.

The best thing is to find something you're really interested in. Something that makes your eyes light up, something that makes you jump out of bed in the morning ready to go, something that you'd stay up all night working on even if it weren't your business. The more enthusiastic you are about what you're doing, the more enthusiastic your potential customers will be.

If you already have a few vending machines, and that seems to be working for you, why not expand on that? Or if that doesn't get you excited, figure out what will, and work on that.

So, what's your passion?

My :02:

--Torka

Old 1st February 2008, 07:25 PM   #3
JackieHFS

Default New Business

Jonathan,

I would agree, you need something you feel strongly about and enjoy, otherwise, it maybe tough to keep going since most new businesses have many growing pains and roller coaster rides. My husband started his weather business in 2001 with me by his side and worked 17 hrs a day, 7 days a week for about a year. He still puts in 70 to 80+ hrs and we are still riding the roller coaster. You have joined a great site for ideas though. Good luck and ask away! This group is so helpful and informative.

Jackie

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 08:42 PM   #4
sofiakuma

I'll second the recommendation that you start with something you really enjoy. Starting a new business requires commitment and time, and the worst thing that can happen is that you'll hate what you're doing, and that'll only dampen your enthusiasm.

sofiakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Sharlet

Default Business Ideas

Well, I am going to put a different twist to the issue of what you should do next. Find out what the top 10 things people are concerned about. The baby boomers are the largest spending group of people at this time. What is it that they are concerned about?

The number one issue is health, the second is aging. That is where I have one of my businesses and am not only having fun, but am truly helping people.
I don't think it get much better than that.

Sharlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Daniel2007

Think about what type of business would fit your lifestyle. Do you want a simple business that could run without you present or would you prefer to be in it everyday? Do you want a business that primarily runs in day or evening hours? One that you have ongoing set contracts with or one that is based on day to day customers? I would write down all of the components that you want in a business prior to deciding on one. I will be easier to find a right match for your personality if you do it this way.

Daniel2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 03:05 PM   #7
babyjoy214

hi,

i'm new here and came across this topic, there should really be a person's heart in any business for your satisfaction and success. if there's no interest from you then there's no point for continuing, it won't stand long.. just prefer the one that interest you most, it will be the one that helps or guides you to be optimist in the times of crisis.. since you are to start a new business, there are a lot more sacrifices to be done, but its only for the start, after a while everything will fall into place.

Goodluck!!

-joy

babyjoy214 is offline   Reply With Quote