Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th June 2007, 09:15 PM   #1
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default New Article - Make Your PDFs SEO-Friendly

Authored by: Matt McGee

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/mcgee/010167.html

A Snippet:

A couple years ago, a client was launching a new product -- but they weren't the only company doing so. One of their main competitors was launching the same product, sourced from the same manufacturer. The product didn't have much search history. It also didn't have much competition for the relevant keywords.

Old 13th June 2007, 11:23 AM   #2
krtup

Good article...and it hits on a topic that is often overlooked. Also it gives me something tangible to show my graphic designers as to why they shouldn't create their PDFs in photoshop.

krtup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Denise

Thanks Matt! I've heard various opinions on PDFs and SEO, and it's nice to finally see a positive, real life example.

Old 14th June 2007, 09:01 AM   #4
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

OK, Matt. I'm interested in your theory on why the PDF worked but the HTML pages didn't.

Old 14th June 2007, 09:32 AM   #5
amichalski

Holy mackerel, Matt!

I didn't think that PDFs were "readable" by spiders at all, text-based or not. But, I just did a little checking up on my site, and sure enough, one of my PDFs comes up ahead of all my HTML files, and it ranks for terms that I never anticipated, too, apparently because of words in the background of my ezine's masthead.

THANK YOU for this article. This info is so timely for me. I'll keep it in mind as I continue publishing my ezine. I was having second thoughts about archiving old issues in PDF form rather than HTML, but with this new info in mind, I am absolutely NOT changing the plan now.

amichalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 09:36 AM   #6
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Sort of related to this... I've got pdf versions of a bunch of my old computer books. I give them away for free from my cpa web site.

I haven't paid much attention to these items. (A few years ago I publicized them to computer clubs and MBA program business schools... but then I forgot about them.)

Recently, by accident, I've noticed that for some of these freebie downloadables, there's pretty predictable and darn respectable traffic. Of course, for much of this stuff I've long since lost the source documents and therefore the ability to edit within the original creating app... (Pagemaker, probably)

This post makes me think, heck, I got to look at this again. I wonder if it is practical to have someone (an offshore designer or whatever) go into the roughly 1500pp of this stuff and add page footers (or something like that) with links to my sites.

Sorry for thinking out loud. I guess my point is, good info...thanks!

Old 24th June 2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
1500pp of this stuff and add page footers (or something like that) with links to my sites.
I would, but I wouldn't hide it only at the bottom. Maybe add to top and bottom as how many really get to the end. I think one of the issues with pdf's is you need to convert the visitor and that doesn't usually get considered when a pdf is created.

I'd think it fully thru, and maybe even do some sample testing before having someone go thru all of them.

Additionally, you might want to check with a programmer to see if there is a way to automatically add something to every pdf dynamically - versus having someone do it one by one.

Another hurdle I see frequently is tracking/stats. Since many use client side tracking versus server side ... the pdf doesn't get reflected. Kind of lurking in the shadows unknown to many

Old 24th June 2007, 04:56 PM   #8
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Good thoughts. thanks. btw, I think this is post where I inadvertently broke rules about links. Sorry.