Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd August 2013, 03:50 AM   #21
BeBizsmart
VIP Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGee View Post
I shared a list on my blog today with that title -- 12 Rules of Email Marketing. I'm wondering if anyone has feedback pro or con on the list, and perhaps some additional things that should've been mentioned. ??

Here's the 12 as I wrote them:

1. Do not spam. Understand the CAN-Spam Act and follow it. Build a mailing list via permission only.

2. Make sure you actually have permission! A customer who gives you her email address for a non-mailing list reason isn’t giving you permission to put her name on your subscriber list. In other words, getting an order from Sally in Topeka creates a business relationship between you and Sally, but it doesn’t necessarily mean Sally wants to be on your mailing list, too.

If placing an order on your site includes automatic addition to your mailing list, state that clearly before the customer places her order — as early in the order process as possible.

3. Make it easy to unsubscribe. It’s a mailing list, not prison.

4. Don’t buy lists/databases of email addresses. Many of the email addresses in those databases belong to people who didn’t know that they were giving permission to have their address sold when they downloaded some software, or completed some survey, etc. Whatever you spend on these lists and databases, you won’t be getting much value because response rates will be next to zero.

5. If you send out an HTML email, be sure to also offer a text version. Many of us prefer plain text emails. Plus, HTML emails are more likely to be tagged as spam by filtering software.

6. Personalize the messages you send out as much as possible. You should be using list management software that allows you, at minimum, to address each recipient by name. If you can go further and target emails to certain types of recipients — past purchasers of a certain product, for example — do that, too. The personal touch in an email is very effective.

7. Write a great email subject. If you’re offering a sale or coupon, put the word “sale” or “coupon” in the subject of the email. A boring or nondescript subject line will lead to a lot of unread emails.

8. Mind your Ps and Qs. Read and re-read your email several times before you send it — make sure your spelling and grammar is perfect. Don’t just rely on spellcheck software, have several people read the email before it goes out. Poor spelling and/or grammar makes you look bad.

9. Give recipients a reason to read your email. Don’t just send out an email because it’s been a while. If you have nothing to say, then keep quiet.

10. Give recipients a reason to act. Discounts, contests, special promotions exclusive to your subscribers are a great use of your list. A 2005 survey of moms revealed that 87% who join mailing lists do so in order to get a price discount or coupon. 87%!!! And 70% said they also want to know about sales. Only 6% wanted to learn about the company.

When offering discounts or coupons, or when announcing sales, be sure the email includes a link so readers can take immediate action.

11. Invite the recipient to share the email with a friend. Better yet, invite them to share the coupon or discount code with a friend, too! Word of mouth is one of the most effective forms of marketing there is. Use it to your advantage.

12. Include basic contact information. The sale or contest you’re offering may not appeal to all subscribers, but the email you send may still be a reminder that the reader needs to visit your web site for some other product or contact you via email with some other question. Include all of your customer service information in every email — your web address, email address, phone and fax numbers.
#8 so true. If you're not delivering good, readable, interesting and valuable emails to your list, you aren't going to make a lot of money. It's easy to start dialing it in when you've been maintaining a list for some time, but it's very important to keep quality levels as high as possible.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th September 2013, 03:58 PM   #22
Elma

Even it's been years already, reading in today still gives a lot of insights! To avoid the spam, I personally trust those email softwares, Marketingship for example, they check if my email will be mark as spam before i send it out.

Elma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 04:12 PM   #23
Carrie Minton

This is truly a useful list especially for beginners in email marketing. I love rule #2. I had experiences in the past when I found it really hard to unsubscribe from promotional emails. I hate receiving unworthy emails from different marketers Thanks a lot for sharing these rules!

Carrie Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 12:55 AM   #24
karenfisher252

I completely agree with your 6th point - personalizing the emails. Unless the reader finds a connection in the email, he won't be interested in going through a pile of phrases.

karenfisher252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 11:21 PM   #25
DavidStewart

Very good advice. The ultimate issue when you really look at it is - why do you read someone's email? It's because you're getting benefit out of it!

There are many companies that I am happy when I can help them, that miss the above point. Many businesses have a huge database that they don't communicate with effectively. Having that database in the first place is very important, but ultimately you have to deliver a solution, help the customer or lead with their pain point. Give them valuable information (some will argue even give them your best information). Instead of just beating them over the head trying to "sell" them.

If you can do that, and follow the rules in the original list (plus have good copy), you'd be very like to hit the industry standard of $1 per person per month in revenue.

What's neat is that email marketing is a very, very cheap process, and if you have say 10,000 contacts then you can have $1000 in sales the next day. I'd have to look again at the stats for ROI, but it beats almost every other form of "paid" advertising by multiples.

DavidStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 10:14 AM   #26
Carrie Minton

These 12 rules you mentioned must be followed by email marketers to succeed in their business. Today, email marketers are really having a hard time improving their strategies because people are already aware of the spamming made by many marketers. Thanks for the good read!

Old 14th October 2014, 01:30 PM   #27
msig

great list! I'm at the beginning of my email marketing and this is very helpful. thanks

msig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 05:46 AM   #28
iCubes12

Good points to be remember while shooting mails to your subscribers

iCubes12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 03:56 PM   #29
LeeAB

Send a message via Skype™ to LeeAB

Great List! but not easy to act.

LeeAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 03:08 PM   #30
SamJones87

I would have to agree with this. When I send press releases out, I choose to actually type out and format an actual email rather than using a template on a service like MailChimp or MadMiMi. I have found that I get more responses with regular text emails.

SamJones87 is offline   Reply With Quote