Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Sales
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th June 2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default How To Get To "Yes" Quicker

How to get a yes...

"If you are serious about getting to a "yes" quicker - get yourself known. The faster you can get known, the faster you will get to a "yes" with lots of clients. People will automatically assume you must be good at what you do and they will be naturally attracted to you and want to do business with you."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...es/005556.html

How do you get your "yes?"

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th July 2006, 12:43 PM   #2
prepaidcarrie

Send a message via ICQ to prepaidcarrie Send a message via AIM to prepaidcarrie Send a message via MSN to prepaidcarrie
Default thanks

Graet advice. I am trying to implement it currently.

Carrie

prepaidcarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 03:33 PM   #3
johnb

Good article. Nothing new there, but good nonetheless.

I DO think that "get yourself known" could use some explanation though. We're told that it's the most powerful way to get a "yes", then the article ends.

johnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 12:28 AM   #4
seenlight

I agree. I am working on it as well

seenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Bestmiler

Send a message via AIM to Bestmiler Send a message via MSN to Bestmiler

Im about to start a business and ill definately keep this in mind.

Bestmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 11:22 PM   #6
jrobconsult

There were very good points in the article. Here are a couple of other things to consider. First, it is more about relationships than knowledge. People want to do business with others they are comfortable with.

The other point is that find common ground and agree with the other person. If things they are familiar with and you both agree about it, they will assume you will make the right judgements on unknown areas.

jrobconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Kregg

Default Is Getting to "Yes" necessarily the Objective?

Here's a contrarian point of view. I've found that buyers are just like all other human beings who will do everything they can to avoid being the bearer of bad news (saying "no" to the sales rep included).

When you have a lot of sales opportunities to manage, you need to focus your attention on those most likely to close. Make your best pitch, focus on value and benefits and try to get the customer to persuade you that you have the best fit for them rather than vice-versa. If the customer starts selling me on the value of my solution, I don't need to "get them" to tell me "yes", they will gladly do it when the time is right.

If the customer can't articulate my value back to me, then I haven't done my job and need to start trying to understand what the reasons are for the hidden "no". Then I at least have a chance to correct misconceptions, reiterate value, demonstrate additional value, or reposition against the competition.

If you feel uncertain about the customer's level of commitment to your product or service, it is better to start asking the hard questions that will allow the customer to tell you "no" as soon as possible during the sales process. This way you can uncover the objections sooner, and determine whether you really have a chance at winning the business. Otherwise you may end up wasting a lot of cycles on someone who has already made up their mind to go with the competition but doesn't want to hurt your feelings by telling you "no".

Sometimes getting to "no" faster is just as important as getting to "yes" when it comes to maximizing the efficiency of the sales process.

Kregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 01:02 PM   #8
SystemForSuccess

Great points made by all. I think the most important thing goes back to one of the posts in the middle. Building relationships is the key to any type of sales. Being viewed as an expert (another way of saying getting yourself known) certainly helps, but relationships are what it is all about.
How do you build those relationships? Asking questions, and here's the key, actually listening to responses. Through this process you may find out that your product or service may not be the best fit for them, which is fine, because by building a relationship you may get a sale later on in the relationship and they will be much more likely to give you referrals. For those of you who struggle doing sales calls or approaches I would try to watch your time and see who is doing most of the talking, if it's you that is why you are struggling.

SystemForSuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 02:34 AM   #9
mindfullness

Definitely getting known can make your company more popular and can probably boost up your sales quickly but just be careful that its a positive reputation not a negative cos that can also turn it into the total wrong direction

mindfullness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 11:16 AM   #10
kwin
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the information. It is a big "YES" to my business..

kwin is offline   Reply With Quote