Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd June 2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default Boost Sales Through Inexpensive Press Releases

Here is one on press releases.

"The beauty of online press releases is that you can embed links which drive interested traffic back to your Website! And online press releases float around the Internet forever. Getting picked up by press sites, newspapers, magazines and email newsletters, they provide a plethora of one-way links to your site and thus also drive up your search engine ranking."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ng/005202.html

How many of you have used press releases? What was the outcome?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd June 2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Matt McGee

I've used press releases with what I'd call moderate success -- certainly not drop-dead stunning results. They can be helpful at times when used as one part of an overall marketing plan.

I just wish articles like this one wouldn't make it sound like such a guarantee of success. Releases DON'T float around the Internet forever getting picked up left and right. And newspaper writers and editors AREN'T sitting around dying for filler material -- they actually have more than they know what to do with. (I speak from print media experience.)

But yeah, a well-written, highly-targeted news release can be helpful as part of a larger marketing plan.

Old 3rd June 2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Vacation Mamma
I bought the book!

Default But is it News?

Press releases are indeed a great tool as part of a balanced marketing strategy. Let's be honest though, do most of us have something newsworthy once a month? Once a year? Press releases are intended for news, and seasoned and respected news pubs don't pick up releases that are just thinly veiled advertising.

Can we create something newsworthy? Market forcasts, tips, tools, techniques? Certainly, but isn't that what blogging is all about? I just have trouble releasing invented news. I can see it now: "Palm Desert Vacation Rental adds new lounge chairs to fairway patio."

Is it me? Have I run out of creativity? Or are press releases great for some and not for others?

Old 3rd June 2006, 02:07 AM   #4
Matt McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation Mamma
"Palm Desert Vacation Rental adds new lounge chairs to fairway patio."
LOL! Too funny...

But you're right. You don't just send something out for the sake of it. You must have something to say.

We have a client who recently authored a cookbook that's been well-received by reviewers and buyers. She sends out about one news release a quarter -- one was sent out last summer with a couple recipes for quick and easy summer meals. Other releases since then have corresponded with news coverage, i.e., when child obesity was in the news, she sent out a release with a couple recipes that are kid-friendly and healthy.

I'll have to ask her how successful these efforts are.....

Old 6th June 2006, 02:02 AM   #5
Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGee
I just wish articles like this one wouldn't make it sound like such a guarantee of success.
I agree! One of my clients has been reading these articles and is feeling discouraged because her press release hasn't been picked up yet.

For those of you who have had good results with press releases, I have a question. How long did it take from the time you submitted your press release to when you were contacted by the editor? Did they contact you at all, or just publish your release?

Old 6th June 2006, 06:22 AM   #6
mktgbiz

I agree. Online press releases are all part of the total marketing plan - not the secret answer.

If your press release has keywords and keyphrases strategically located throughout it creates the potential for coming up on the first page of searches for your keywords. I paid $80 for a press release through prweb.com last year and within 48 hours my press release was on the first page of results for my most common search keyphrase.

It also resulted in a podcast interview.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Matt McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz
I paid $80 for a press release through prweb.com last year
I have also heard from friends that paying for those PRWeb upgrades can be beneficial in terms of getting added exposure.

Quote:
and within 48 hours my press release was on the first page of results for my most common search keyphrase.
You mean the regular SERPs, or on the first page of a NEWS search?

(If regular SERPS, how long did it stay there? Is it still there now?)

Old 6th June 2006, 03:59 PM   #8
mktgbiz

Matt -
The keyphrase that is most popular for my fishing ebooks is "fishing sponsorship."

I just checked on the BIG 3 and I was on the first page of Yahoo - still through emediawire which is part of the prweb family. It has however fallen from the first page of results on Google and MSN.

But as I sadi, after I paid the $80.00 I did end up on the first page of SERPs so I guess it was a good thing.

Old 6th June 2006, 10:40 PM   #9
Matt McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz
I just checked on the BIG 3 and I was on the first page of Yahoo - still through emediawire which is part of the prweb family. It has however fallen from the first page of results on Google and MSN.
That's cool. So the key thing to takeaway here is -- when someone is using these online press release services -- check to see how long the release will be archived at the same URL in the system. I'm guessing that maybe you get more permanence the more you pay ... ? (Do you recall if it worked that way, Scott?)

And if you have permanence at the same URL, you obviously have a better shot of not only getting the release found in news SERPs, but in regular search SERPs, too.

Old 7th June 2006, 06:49 AM   #10
mktgbiz

In trucking terms...

10-4