Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2013, 04:23 AM   #1
Risingstar2013

Default Advice Needed For Blogging Beginner - Wordpress.org On Hostgator

Hi Everyone

I want to start promoting my health coaching business through a blog site and monetize the site with affiliate partners.

Iíve been reading through forums and from what I understand so far, the best option for me would be to build my site on Wordpress.ORG as it allows affiliate links and itís very popular. I would need a host as well - HostGator looks popular. Correct me if Iím wrong? Any comments?

One of my concerns is that at the moment I have no outlay. In a few months I will be able to afford the hosting fees etc but for now I just want to get started on the design etc. Any advice on the best plan for starting out free with the intention to transfer it or upgrade it to a paid site in the near future?

The other concern I have is, the fact that I donít know any html code. Would it be possible to design a successful monetized blog site on wordpress.org relying on themes & plugins only?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Risingstar2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd July 2013, 02:28 AM   #2
SashaMike

Yes - WordPress is easy!

But! you'll need a domain name and hosting plan as well. I used to work on a free WP blog for fitness products (sharing affiliate links). WP banned me for "affiliate" reason. I had to buy an independant domain and hosting to work - then I prospered.

Since you can choose a unique domain name ONCE - review it wisely.

SashaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 09:31 AM   #3
LGCG

I don't know much, but I know I like Wordpress. Sounds like you're putting alot of thought in to this. I'm sure you'll have lots of success!

Old 12th November 2013, 07:19 AM   #4
alexloxton

You are right with your decision for choosing Wordpress. It is one of the most popular plateforms and easy to implement. I will recommend referring w3schools.com for any scripting language.

alexloxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 10:20 AM   #5
twhansbury

I take it you are a health coach. You might also want to look at using Instant Gram once you get your site up. Ive found many health professionals using it to attract and engage clients.

Old 9th December 2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Yomi

Wordpress is a great place to start. You have a large community of Wordpress users and there are tons of forums like this one where you can receive help setting up your blog.

I believe you are going in the right direction by self-hosting your Wordpress blog through hostgator. Hosting fees are as little as $9.99 a month with other features and options you can probably take on later.

You don't need to know HTML to setup WordPress. It is very user-friendly and it embraces those who are not as tech savvy. Like I mentioned before you have a large community of WordPress users so you will never be alone.

As far as the look and feel you have tons of free themes available to you. Once you setup your Wordpress Blog you will notice in the dashboard under appearances you have 2-3 themes available that you can use and customize with your liking. I would stick with one of those themes in the beginning because they are responsive, which means you can view them on mobile devices and tablets.

You don't need a whole lot to get started with WordPress. You just need to get started and take action!

Good luck!

Yomi is offline   Reply With Quote