Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th February 2012, 02:20 AM   #1
Pharphunuse

Send a message via Skype™ to Pharphunuse
Cool What Could I Turn This Into?

Hello Everyone! And I'm looking for some feedback on how I might combine my ideas into a business.

As of now I work a minumum wage job (I am 16) and it really is not a good trade-off. 1 hour = $7.50. I wouldn't call that a good deal.

I am looking to generate enough income in the next two years to purchase a car, a few stupid things (I'm in highschool, hell, why not?), and pay for college tuition (most likely an expensive private one as I am aiming to attend MIT).

My Hobbies that I really enjoy as of now are photoshop, video editing, building computers, gaming, cars, and in general tinkering with things to figure out how they work. I was thinking combining a few of these things into a business I can operate from within my basement. I'm basically thinking it will have plenty to do with sales over the internet.

Any feedback/Support is greatly appreciated as I do not want to be trading time for money my entire life. -.-

<-- I only included that because it made me chuckle.

Pharphunuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th February 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

Perhaps you can try to be a freelancer, or partner with someone (Eg. web designer, photographer, etc) to offer a more complete set of services.

Pet directory: FurryTale.net
DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Pharphunuse

Cool

Thanks for the input . I do think that is a good idea as I do have multiple friends in the web design and photography areas. I'll do some brainstorming from there.

I am thinking about perhaps designing a computer style and possible selling that, as in the case and such. Or possibly assembling custom computers for people. Would you think there is a decently sized market for that?

Last edited by Pharphunuse; 27th February 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 27th February 2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Spider

You have video editing close to the top of your list. Considering the short-term nature of your need, this will probably be your fastest cash-creator.

I presume you can create videos as well as edit them. There may already be too many people in the Wedding Video business, but I believe there is a growing demand for video advertising. And there are lots of small businesses that would like to get on late-night cable (remarkably cheap tv advertising) or add a short video to their website.

Talk to some small business people and find out what the demand might be in your area. I have seen prices range from $300 to $1,000 for 30sec/60sec ads.

Mind you, if it takes you 30 hours to create a $300 ad, you are almost back at minimum wage, but at least it would be more fun than sweeping the shop floor!

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 11:51 AM   #5
JPStonestreet

16 and already entrepreneurial! Respect!

Building computers and selling them is a difficult path. I read recently that mobile devices are far outselling desktops and laptops. The trend is mobile, and I doubt you can compete with those big players.

I agree with Spider. If you like video editing and you're good at it, think more seriously about that one. You might checkout fiverr to research your competition and possibly post some gigs. You can sell basic services for 5 dollars and offer premium or add-on's for more. If you're efficient and you can knock a couple out in an hour, that's more than you're making now, not counting the upsells.

JPStonestreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Pharphunuse

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPStonestreet View Post
16 and already entrepreneurial! Respect!

Building computers and selling them is a difficult path. I read recently that mobile devices are far outselling desktops and laptops. The trend is mobile, and I doubt you can compete with those big players.

I agree with Spider. If you like video editing and you're good at it, think more seriously about that one. You might checkout fiverr to research your competition and possibly post some gigs. You can sell basic services for 5 dollars and offer premium or add-on's for more. If you're efficient and you can knock a couple out in an hour, that's more than you're making now, not counting the upsells.
Thanks!

And thank you for a way to possibly make money on my video editing skills, I have found that youtube does not possess a very appreciative audience no matter how much effort is put into it. I'll look into it, and once again thanks for the tip!

Old 28th February 2012, 10:28 AM   #7
HCChris

I was about 16 when I first started down the entrepreneurship path, it's great to see a young person eager to take the leap.

As much as I like the idea of the computer case design (you can sell "designer" cases for around $100-$300 each), I don't think it would be appropriate to your present situation. Since it's a product there will be higher startup costs and it'll take a lot of time to get traction and even then most builders are looking for cases that are different from their friends'.

I think Spider is onto something with the video creation and editing. I have actually been working on a video for my website recently. If I'd seen this a little earlier, you may have had your first customer.

You may want to try to develop a relationship with a few (freelance) web designers. Whenever they're working on a website for a client they'll be able to recommend you to help develop a video for the website.

HCChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 10:53 PM   #8
Pharphunuse

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCChris View Post
I was about 16 when I first started down the entrepreneurship path, it's great to see a young person eager to take the leap.

As much as I like the idea of the computer case design (you can sell "designer" cases for around $100-$300 each), I don't think it would be appropriate to your present situation. Since it's a product there will be higher startup costs and it'll take a lot of time to get traction and even then most builders are looking for cases that are different from their friends'.

I think Spider is onto something with the video creation and editing. I have actually been working on a video for my website recently. If I'd seen this a little earlier, you may have had your first customer.

You may want to try to develop a relationship with a few (freelance) web designers. Whenever they're working on a website for a client they'll be able to recommend you to help develop a video for the website.
Awesome! Thank you again! These are all brilliant ideas

I have recently been in contact with multiple web design freelancers and I'm eager to see what comes of it. Thanks again as I would not have thought of this myself!

Old 3rd March 2012, 01:56 AM   #9
topfilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisChang View Post
Perhaps you can try to be a freelancer, or partner with someone (Eg. web designer, photographer, etc) to offer a more complete set of services.
Doing freelance work is a great idea! If you have decent graphic design or video editting skills, you should have no problem finding jobs online. The beauty is, you can do it at home!

Take a look sites like these: eLance.com, Guru.com, ODesk.com

These are freelancing websites where you can post a profile and bid on other people's jobs. So let's say someone needs a new logo for their pet supply website. You can enter a bid to complete the job, and if you're accepted, you can start work right away. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of competition on these sites and you'll have to do some research. The key is setting up a nice profile that instills confidence in potential clients. Put together a portfolio of your work and some samples. In the beginning, you'll probably need to underbid other competitors until you build your reputation.

I'm sure there's some smaller (less competitive) freelance websites out there, but you get the idea. These are the major ones...

topfilings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 03:35 AM   #10
printnstyle

I agree with looking into freelance work and TopFilings provided you with some good starter links. Start small, work your way up, and build a nice portfolio for yourself. Once you’ve done that maybe start your own business for it, but I would start small to build a reputation (at 16 you have more than enough time). While putting together a computer for a friend is one thing, there really isn’t that big of a market for it, so I wouldn’t make that the center of your attention right now.

printnstyle is offline   Reply With Quote