Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th April 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
don1ddg

Default 3500 Mailers - 0 Responses???

I sent out 3500 tri-folds 16.5" x 8.5" to a very targeted area, I actually drove around all the neighborhoods with a local contractor to pin point the best areas. I have yet to have 1 call and the website stats in the area looks no different than normal. Our products are home/outdoor related. That was 12 days ago. My printer did seed one to himself, about 150 miles away from the customers and received it after 5 days. I did send them out just bulk mail. I know that can take a little long but 12 days for 150 miles away? I had 2 of them sent to a friend by 1st class mail and they had it in 3 days. I believe we have a really good piece with a good offer and call to action. Could they just not be delivered yet or did I fail miserably??? PM me if you want to see the creative. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. This was our first direct mail piece.

don1ddg is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th April 2012, 06:54 AM   #2
eBigman

First thought off the top of my head is that you're in testing mode and should start off with a smaller test audience. Maybe mail out to 1,000 3 or more times to improve stoking attention.

eBigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 11:26 AM   #3
elaineatindie

Default 3500 mailers

I'd like to help you understand a bit about direct mail. I have used DM for 20 years and I'll tell you the secrets. First, response rates - what should you expect? 1-3% with 3% finding exactly the right offer, the right target, the right timing etc. - so your DM should have been about 1%, if you had a good offer, to the right market. Understand too, that DM is like any other kind of advertising - you can't do it once and expect people to change the way they have been doing business - even if you offer it for free. Now, I understand you have an outdoor related business - perhaps no one needs your services RIGHT NOW - you have to think like you're the customer - if you got a flyer in the mail today - would you drop everything and go to a website - probably not. May I suggest you create a direct mail with a fridge magnet attached - no one throws away a fridge magnet - particularly if you design it to he helpful to the customer - include a watering schedule - if you are in landscaping for example. The idea is test and repeat. If you are "farming" the area - that means this is your turf and you are not going away, then continue on a regular basis (once a week - twice a week if you are seasonal) People have to get familiar with your service before they will act - but let me say DM is still one of the gems of advertising - just be more creative. Hope this helps - Elaine Joli

elaineatindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1ddg View Post
I sent out 3500 tri-folds 16.5" x 8.5" to a very targeted area, I actually drove around all the neighborhoods with a local contractor to pin point the best areas. I have yet to have 1 call and the website stats in the area looks no different than normal. Our products are home/outdoor related. That was 12 days ago. My printer did seed one to himself, about 150 miles away from the customers and received it after 5 days. I did send them out just bulk mail. I know that can take a little long but 12 days for 150 miles away? I had 2 of them sent to a friend by 1st class mail and they had it in 3 days. I believe we have a really good piece with a good offer and call to action. Could they just not be delivered yet or did I fail miserably??? PM me if you want to see the creative. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. This was our first direct mail piece.
How much research did you do on direct mail and what was your expected return rate. I think direct mail can vary for .1% to 2%, but it really depends on the offer and the target audience. But it you only get .1% and you sent out 3000, that means only 3 people would call. It can also take a while. And you can also get a 0% response. A company I worked for years ago tried sending out 10,000 mailers and got 0%. I guess the key is to start small, and then evaluation.
Anyway, what percent response were you expecting?

Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 02:30 PM   #5
eBigman

I just realized I joined this forum in 2005 and I've just made my first post (well, now it's my second)!

eBigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 01:04 PM   #6
don1ddg

Thanks everyone. I didn't really have an expected response rate. Based on the areas I targeted, I know 80% of them are ideal candidates for our products.
250k+ house values, 200k+ income & homeowners. I drove around all the areas and selected only those areas for addresses. I haven't recieved 1 call or email. Even the web stats show average traffic to that city. I am sending out 500 Friday first class this time to a specific area to try again just to make sure. Should deliver Tuesday or Wednesday.

don1ddg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 11:10 AM   #7
jrobconsult

Great advice already, but don't be surprised if you get some response in a few weeks or months if you had a good offer. You should have tested your offer with a smaller mailing and need to mail it at least 3 times to your targeted list. Making phone call follow ups to your mailing will get a lot better response.

jrobconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
bizmaverick

Well, it does take time considering that type of marketing you are using. You also need to know that on direct mailing, the returns usually are just at a fraction of percent and sometimes, none. Btw, are you really sure that the areas youíve sent can afford your product? By what means have you asserted that 80% of your prospects are ideal candidates? Is it by need? Because even though they need it, if they canít afford it, then they wonít buy it. Are those figures accurate?

Have you considered some promos on your mail? Something like an incentive for a response? Incentives more likely increase response rate.
Also, make sure that your mail has that personal approach- there is a contact between the recipient and the mail. Try addressing them to recipients by name and have that impression that the message was tailored especially for them.

bizmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Kevin H

This is a little out of date now (from the mid-90s!!!) but the rule of thumb I was taught with unsolicited mail drops etc was '1% of 1%'... ie, 1% who receive the mail/leaflet/whatever MAY be interested and 1% of those will actually bother to do anything about it.

i.e 1 in 10,000

Now if you have a better targeted audience then you would hope the rates for both would go up somewhat, so I will defer to the elaineatindie post above on what may be considered effective today.

The trick is to limit that first 1% as much as possible (which you obviously seem to know) by ensuring that they REALLY do have the need (not so sure) and then make sure it gets to the 'MAN' (the person with the Money, Authority, Need); which brings me to the biggest question for me, which is one of those posed by bizmaverick:
By what are you assuming 80% are ideal candidates?

It's one thing to say these people have the ability to buy your product/service, it's something else for them to feel they 'need' it or 'want' it.

If you are right and these people REALLY want your service, NOW (as jrobconsult sid, perhaps they want your service, just not yet), and you KNOW they would bite your hand off if they knew of it; then the only thing is to think whether you are not getting the letter to the right person and how you can improve the likelihood of that.

If you are not so sure on the 1st point, then you perhaps need to reconsider how to identify your audience.

Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:54 PM   #10
lptprinting

Send a message via Skype™ to lptprinting

I've always gotten near 5% response rate on average. Make sure you know your target market, develop a quality list based on more than just need. Many list providers can also filter your list based on income. When you identify a client in need, but also has the means to afford it, you stand a far better chance of generating interest. Once you understand your target market and have a list, make sure your message is clear, and speaks to the needs of your target audience. Incentivizing them with a reason to act soon will also increase response.

Make sure the brochure is appealing to the eye and professional. Since this is your way of introducing them to your company, it's good to put your best foot forward.

Also, it take a few times for them to notice your advertisement in a pile of mail. eBigman had it right, take that 3500, trim it down to 1000, then send 3 variations of your brochure to that thousand people over the course of 4-6 weeks. That will also increase your response rate.

lptprinting is offline   Reply With Quote