Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th March 2012, 11:20 AM   #1
MktgDepotIncHou

Default Little Help For A Newb?

Good morning, fellow marketers. I was wondering if you folks could share some wisdom and make a few suggestions. I'm working as a contractor (to join the team after i prove myself) for a 13 year old marketing firm (website design, SEO, profile mgmt, branding, promotions) in Houston. We're small (10-12 employees), and we primarily serve other underdogs around Houston, mainly in the home services industry (plumbing,painting,lawn,electrical) and a few dozen things in between. My superior has asked that I develop a PLAN of attack for marketing our firm and also wants me to begin promoting the launch of our new & improved website. We have a facebook, craigslist and twitter on which I post engaging content and encourage dialogue with blog posts. Do you have any procedures/spreadsheets or other tools that help to define your weekly activities and strategy? Thanks in advance, everyone!!! Looking forward to your feedback.

Nick
Marketing Depot Inc.

MktgDepotIncHou is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th March 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

You should probably consider creating an editorial calendar to coordinate your Facebook, Twitter, blog posts (either on your own company's blog or guest posts on other related blogs) and press releases. This will help you keep your topics in sync with the upcoming website launch and other important company events and initiatives.

Here's one example.
And another .

Since you're a B2B firm you might also consider setting up a company page on LinkedIn. Some B2B companies are reporting surprisingly good results from LinkedIn. Have all the company employees who have a presence on LinkeIn "follow" the company page to ensure that any status updates made to the company page get broadcast to their contacts. (You'll also want to include a LinkedIn chicklet on your blog and your website, along with the FB and Twitter chicklets to encourage those outside your own company to follow as well.)

If you do establish a LinkedIn page, you'll also want to add that to your editorial calendar.

I've also lately been using an online tool called Trello that looks as though it will be very useful for keeping track of all those great story ideas I get when I don't have time to actually write them. It's free, and you can add other people from the company to collaborate on story ideas. Combining Trello and the editorial calendar seems to be working well for me.

--Torka

Old 28th March 2012, 04:35 AM   #3
MktgDepotIncHou

Wow, Torka! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond and share your expertise AND links; pretty sure I can get the team on board. Hope I may somehow return the favor! I'm off to the forums...

MktgDepotIncHou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
printnstyle

Great advice Torka! Thank you for answering this as it not only helps the one who answered the question but also those who stumble into this by chance.

printnstyle is offline   Reply With Quote