Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th February 2012, 09:12 PM   #1
trav268

Default My Site Converts About 0.5% Of Visitors Into Sales. How Do I Increase That?

Greetings.

I currently receive about 200 visitors to my site a day. But I am only getting about 1 sale a day which is about 0.5% conversion rate.

My site has reasonable and non-hidden shipping charges.

I sell an extremely niche product.

I'd say roughly 60% of leads come from froogle (I think they officially changed the name to Google Shopping), which means they see my product, pricing, and shipping info before clicking on the link to a product page.

My site loads fast (after I had to switch from godaddy to bluehost; 10 sec load time compared to less than 1.5 sec load time).

I read that I should be converting 3%. So how do I sextuplet my conversion rate.

My site is video-game-repair-parts.com

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

trav268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th February 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
The Diamond Pen

Default You Lack Content

I just looked at the site. I have a few constructive criticisms:

1. The image scroller thingy at the top moves too slow. When I click a number, it slowly inched along, la-ti-da, finally getting there a few seconds later. Fix the timing to make it almost instant, or at least < 0.5 second.
2. Your readable content starts too low. There's the banner, then the top bar, then the scrolly thingy, then some intro content. There's too much space before you start your info.
3. Most importantly, you need extra content. It's great that you have the parts, but you shouldn't make prospective customers have to go to a different site to find out how to use them. Include "How To" guides for each part, preferably linked from the product page. Also, your blog is highly self-promoting; make it more informational.

Hope this helps!

Old 26th February 2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Pharphunuse

Send a message via Skype™ to Pharphunuse
Cool Friendly Hello

Hello, I really enjoyed your website and it is organized well. The only problem I can see is the initial page is somewhat distracting with just lots of things thrown at the person. That's how I felt anyway.

I honestly don't know how to improve your commerce at all as I am rather new to any kind of business (Give me a break I'm 16), but if I ever need anything I will most likely purchase from your site due to the awesome prices!

Anyway as I suggested just clean up the front page a little bit, and that is my only criticism.

Good luck!

Pharphunuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
alocsin

Who is the audience for your site? That can determine the answers to a lot of question.

I think the layout looks fine but my impression is that the font is small. But that may be fine for your audience.

alocsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

I agree you have to consider your audience a lot when evaluating your site, but don't forget that your audience is also looking at and comparing your site/offer to others. Here is a post from awhile back which provides some tactics on how to do a competitive analysis so that you can try to identify what you need to improve. You can always improve ...

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...59&postcount=3

Quote:
I read that I should be converting 3%. So how do I sextuplet my conversion rate.
I wouldn't consider that valid necessarily. It could be 3% if those are visitors click on your site after searching google for [wii repair] but another scenario such as finding your site in a video game directory might be much lower. Where your visitors come from and how they found you is going to determine how qualified they are and in turn how they convert regardless of your site. There is no set number such as 3%.

Old 5th April 2012, 09:31 AM   #6
eTail Alliance

Smile

Hi

I think that 3% is a rather arbitrary number, as another poster points out, the conversion percentage will vary wildly by keyword.

I can give you a couple of tips right off:

If I am landing on your home page, you would be much better off having quick visual links through to your key categories e.g. X-Box Parts, PS3 Parts etc. With nice looking images. BTW - Shipping is a secondary element once they have found that you have what they want to buy, it's not a home page lead item ;-)

Secondly, if I am landing on a product page, your calls to action and add to cart are hidden away in the bottom left, I have a large screen and I had to scroll to see them. Technical details are fine, but only if people want them.

Thirdly -trust, put your trust logos next to your add to cart, they are hidden away currently. If I landed on a product page I wouldn't but from you unless it was my only option, you need to make it easy for people to buy from you.

Cheers
Greg

eTail Alliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 01:54 PM   #7
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

My company's main website converts at around 5.5%-6%, while a niche ecommerce site we have on the side converts at around 11%-12%. I didn't start out knowing how to maximize sales; I had to teach myself what I needed to do.

So much of it involves getting to know your audience "up close and personal" and testing everything. What works gangbusters for one site will fail miserably for another.

Here are a few resources that I found very helpful when learning how to optimize for conversions and sales. Perhaps they'll be of benefit to you as well:

The Conversion Scientist (Brian's a great guy and very insightful - if you have the cash, hire him for an evaulation!)

Psychotactics (look at the "free articles" section in particular)

Grokdotcom (the Eisenberg brothers are legend in conversion marketing.)

Marketing Experiments (In case you need some ideas of things to test, or just want to see what test results others have achieved.)

Google Website Optimizer (for when you're ready to start testing.)

Hope this helps...

--Torka

Old 6th April 2012, 03:24 PM   #8
eTail Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
I had to teach myself what I needed to do.
Hi Torka

That is a great story.

The unfortunate truth though is that most people aren't prepared to do the level of learning that is required to succeed, that you have done.

I am setting up an organisation specifically aimed at helping independent ecommerce owners who aren't self learners and don't really know where to start.

I get the impression most people get caught up on what software to use and are pretty clueless about the marketing of their online businesses.

I am conducting some online research to isolate where independent etailers are experiencing their biggest issues, I would love for you to take it.

The survey is here: http://questionpro.com/s/1-1927883-3001837

It would be great if you could send this onto any other ecommerce owners / operators that you know as the more respondents we get the better our findings will be and the more people we can help.

If you would like a copy of the report, please leave your email at the end of the survey.

I look forward to speaking to you again soon.

Greg

eTail Alliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Ryanloop

You’ve got to understand your target market, if you don’t understand them, you won’t know where to find them, what they’re looking for and what they respond to...

The first and often best place to start to find out more about your ideal target market, is with your existing client base. Use questionnaires, informal/formal chats or an outside company to find out more about them and query existing clients on why they work with you, why they chose you and how they feel about you.

Similarly to industry events, trade papers and reports usually highlight the latest news and developments in your field. You can keep up-to-date with what’s going on in the industry plus what’s going on outside of the industry by reading white papers, research findings and keeping abreast of the latest buzz in and around the industry

And a last tip:

Here’s a trick for marketing your business:

Quote:
1. Identify your 3-5 best clients and your 3 worst clients.
2. Interview them to find out why they did business with you in the first place.

You’ll learn alot about how your brand is positioned in this way and might come up with some ideas that you wouldn’t have naturally come up with on your own. You could even ask your clients how they would market your business if it was their business. A theme will emerge.
Regards

Old 2nd June 2012, 10:41 PM   #10
trav268

UPDATE!!!

Thanks you so much.

Conversion rate is sitting at about 2.1% now. I have increased my organic traffic to around 200 clicks a day, I get another 100 clicks from adwords, and another 100 split between direct and referral traffic. So around 400 a day. My goal is to tenfold that by this Christmas.

I am on the edge of something big. Lots of my money keywords (50k+ broad search keywords) are sitting between 8 - 15 in the SERPs and rising.

Wish me luck.

trav268 is offline   Reply With Quote