Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Security
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th August 2010, 12:45 AM   #11
BC-Rob

Think about why someone would want to use your login/signup forms for.

If they can get a benefit from your site just by registering and not logging in, put a CAPTCHA on registration.

If by login, put it there as well.

Old 23rd November 2011, 11:33 AM   #12
AdamC

Most captchas work well.
RECAPTCHA, on the other hand, tends to attract spam!

Here are two reasons as to why I hate RECAPTCHA:
1 - OCR has resulted in a mid to high cracking rate
2 - Cheap labour in countries such as China means companies pay to get them bypassed (As low as $0.0001 per captcha!).

It's a very, very simple thing to code and I would only recommend using a custom coded one such as this:
Create a custom captcha

AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 04:26 PM   #13
seoconj

It depends on the function. For instance, let's say you have a squeeze page with a lead generation form. You promote the page via PPC ads (no organic linking). What good would a captcha do?

If spammers don't know that the page exists, all your captcha is doing is decreasing your conversion rate. In fact, I probably wouldn't include a captcha on any mission-critical conversion form unless it's absolutely necessary.

If you have a WordPress blog and akismet is active, and you want your blog comments section to be active, a captcha seems like a very bad idea. You have a pretty good spam filter, so is it really necessary to prevent the spammers from spamming in the first place?

It discourages people from doing what you want them to do. You need to weigh the benefits of spam reduction against the costs of lower conversions / worse usability.

Derek
Business Computer Sales, Computer Repair, Networking

Last edited by seoconj; 14th December 2011 at 08:45 AM.
seoconj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 05:38 AM   #14
AdamC

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoconj View Post
It depends on the function. For instance, let's say you have a squeeze page with a lead generation form. You promote the page via PPC ads (no organic linking). What good would a captcha do?

If spammers don't know that the page exists, all your captcha is doing is decreasing your conversion rate. In fact, I probably wouldn't include a captcha on any mission-critical conversion form unless it's absolutely necessary.

If you have a WordPress blog and akismet is active, and you want your blog comments section to be active, a captcha seems like a very bad idea. You have a pretty good spam filter, so is it really necessary to prevent the spammers from spamming in the first place?

It discourages people from doing what you want them to do. You need to weigh the benefits of spam reduction against the costs of lower conversions / worse usability.

Derek
Business Computer Sales, Computer Repair, Networking
It would stop automated bots sending junk data to the form.
I have a few forms which receive spam for no other reason that pinging the site.

Of course all the data is invalid, but it gives the spammer a means to check your details.

It's comparable to leaving blocking a routed port as opposed to stealthing it... It tells spammers that there is something there rather than nothing.

I'm sure you're aware that spammers don't actually check 99% of the sites they spam to.. Simply create a script to scrape google dorks, run them through a filter, then spam pages with common terms such as "your message:" and store the hits to a file for real spam at a later date (usually sold to highest bidder as "SEO").

I run a hosting company so deal with this on a daily basis and won't be changing how I do things.

Using a captcha won't decrease your conversions by a huge amouynt... Using an ugly, or hard to read, captcha will!

I think akismet is over rated.
I know of several easy ways to fool it.

Last edited by AdamC; 15th December 2011 at 05:44 AM.
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 04:53 PM   #15
bluerain

Whether it is using captcha or another method of human verification, you really shouldn't be running without anything. Contact forms on websites for instance, if they get run across by spambots, can end up having loads of spam submitted messages every day. It is a pain in the you know what that is entirely unnecessary to deal with.

bluerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:34 AM   #16
steveblake

Most likely it prevent spam. It is often used when clicking the submit button to avoid spam and it also prevent spam robots.

steveblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 01:58 AM   #17
Creative Pile

Make sure to use it if you dont want spam bots leaving fake comments.

Old 29th March 2013, 04:47 AM   #18
jamest1

It all depends on the amount of spam bots you are getting to your site. You need to measure the ratio between actual users and bots and then make a decision.

Personally I find captchas really annoying.. I could never answer the questions correctly. I guess they think that I am a bot haha.

Since my site is fairly new, I wont be using captchas since I need all the customers I can get

Old 5th June 2013, 08:32 AM   #19
johnmclaren

I think you are somehow aware of spams.
Basically CAPTCHA are used for registrations, searching and many more.
It is necessary to use CAPTCHA where we go for the sites which provide the gateway for purchasing the items. Hackers can intrude and can harm you.

johnmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 03:36 AM   #20
BeBizsmart
VIP Contributor

Captchas are good to use on your website but most are just an unnecessary bother for the visitor.Make them hard to figure out and you can bid a sizeable chunk of visitors goodbye.If it's a must you incorporate them,at least make them easy to crack.I tend to prefer the mathematical ones:Nine - 7 =... Here's a fact:Americans,for instance,collectively spend 150,000 hours a day figuring out captchas!