Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th November 2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Trevor_UAS

Default New Website, With Responsive Design

main question is is it too complex to use, or is fairly intuitive as to how it works?

http://www.uniqueadvertisingsolutions.com/index.html

Old 28th November 2011, 01:12 PM   #2
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Sorry Trevor

I tried to look, but the load time of your site is exceedingly long. Your site even displays a message to that effect.

I got impatient and left. I'd reduce the load time.

That's my analysis.

Old 28th November 2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Trevor_UAS

the page load time is 3.31 seconds on pingdom, i know that ideally it should be 2 secs but all images are optimized to the lowest possible resolution while still maintaining their integrity, but it is still a bit heavy.

Old 29th November 2011, 04:20 AM   #4
SanWay
VIP Contributor

hi! i like your site, it is attractive at the marketing point of view, the loading speed is a little low but your message is very nice. but all the same you must reduce the loading time.

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:41 AM   #5
daveb1
VIP Contributor

Hi Trevor,

Here are a few notes from what I saw:

-The scroll on the opening page is too fast. You can barely read the paragraphs before it moves.

-When you click on services the scroll bar is not that intuitive at all.

-You probably should add Twitter and Google+ as it is not that great of a sign for a web company to be missing probably the 2 biggest social medias out right now (i.e. contact page does have Twitter button but I did find it on a few other pages)

-there are no price lists what so ever

-The blog is pretty sparse and its functionality is pretty bad in the sens that when you click into a blog there is no button to get back to the main posts

-Don't see why you need a button to your old site

I am not a big fan of the overall site but that is probably just me. It has that too outdated flash/movement feel where most good sites now are very simple and straightforward

Best of luck you obviously have lots of talent.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Trevor_UAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Hi Trevor,

Here are a few notes from what I saw:

-The scroll on the opening page is too fast. You can barely read the paragraphs before it moves.

We have talked about slowing the slides down a bit, and probably will before long.

-When you click on services the scroll bar is not that intuitive at all.

If you see just above there i have added a little arrow, and little humor.

-You probably should add Twitter and Google+ as it is not that great of a sign for a web company to be missing probably the 2 biggest social medias out right now (i.e. contact page does have Twitter button but I did find it on a few other pages)

I have twitter, but we don't use it at all hardly. I did not add the links on purpose, linking someone to facebook, twitter, etc takes them away from your site and people have very small attention spans and if something grabs their attention while they are perusing the social network they are gone from my site, possibly forever. i didn't want to provide that opportunity.

-there are no price lists what so ever

That is correct, attempting to put a price on a website is very hard without knowing what it entails, such as me asking you "how much does a house cost" there is not a straight forward answer, too many variables to contend with.

-The blog is pretty sparse and its functionality is pretty bad in the sens that when you click into a blog there is no button to get back to the main posts

the blog is being completely rebuilt, the minimalist theme is their temporarily, the old theme matched the old site.

-Don't see why you need a button to your old site

i dont, its just there. there is some important content there but no need for a button.

I am not a big fan of the overall site but that is probably just me. It has that too outdated flash/movement feel where most good sites now are very simple and straightforward

it would not be good for the average business and i would discourage a client from doing anything similar, but as a design company showing off what we are capable of is somewhat important, since most of our clients that are public are fairly conservative it does not allow us to really push the envelope. So going over the top with our site is the best platform for that. We do have a target demographic and that is a bit limiting but im not one to build a generic site like so many others out there and try to please everyone. We do affordable low cost sites but the big sites are where we thrive, and when dealing with large companies you have to have something that sets you apart from the crowd.

Best of luck you obviously have lots of talent.

Thanks for all the insights, perspective is a very important thing and sometimes getting honest perspective is hard to do. Thanks

Old 1st December 2011, 06:47 PM   #7
bluejay47

I didn't have a problem with it, the sliding web page thing is familiar, though not my personal favorite. But I agree that the blue slider is easily missed, so much of your content/portfolio might be lost. Test it on a few people, and watch how they interact with your site. Then you'll know the major issues.

bluejay47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Trevor_UAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay47 View Post
I didn't have a problem with it, the sliding web page thing is familiar, though not my personal favorite. But I agree that the blue slider is easily missed, so much of your content/portfolio might be lost. Test it on a few people, and watch how they interact with your site. Then you'll know the major issues.
I do not get a massive amount of traffic to my site, less than 1000 hits a day usually so its hard to gauge it quickly but so far the average time on site has been around 6 mins which is not too bad.

Old 1st December 2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Mike12

Nice site, consider adding a prominently displayed orange RSS feed symbol to your blog page. The RSS link in the title bar is easy to miss. Good luck with your site.

Old 1st December 2011, 11:52 PM   #10
Trevor_UAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike12 View Post
Nice site, consider adding a prominently displayed orange RSS feed symbol to your blog page. The RSS link in the title bar is easy to miss. Good luck with your site.
Mike, checked out your site and i see you deal with knives, i was just curious if you had discounted access to the 5300sbk?