View Single Post
Old 14th October 2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerPowell View Post
mikeallen50, I didn't mean to say that PPC will not convert into leads, because I do think PPC is good for generating leads. However, many people use PPC to drive traffic to their home page, which will almost certainly not get them any leads. You have to use landing pages to convert.
EXACTLY! And most people who do PPC with little experience do not get this. I used to work for a company that spent $5MM/month (yes 5 million) on PPC most of which was Google AdWords. The ONLY traffic we ever sent to our site was branded traffic... people searching for the company name. But all other keywords went to landing pages with no navigation. The goal is to eliminate any distractions that might prevent them from converting and give them two options: convert or not.

If you send people to your site with PPC ads, there are two many distractions. They can start clicking around your site and before you know it, they have forgotten why they even went to your site. Even if you send the user to a relevant page on your site, it typically will never convert as well as a similar landing page with no navigation.

I do have to disagree with SpenserPowell on one point he made previously:

Quote:
If you are ranking #1 organically...don't waste money on PPC.
I think that is a very bad approach. I was SEO manager for the company I mentioned previously that spent $5MM/month on PPC and we never stopped bidding on PPC keywords that we ranked for organically... even if I had the #1 and #2 (indented listing) organic positions for that keyword phrase. The reasons:

1) Different users look at different parts of the SERPs first. Some might scan the PPC ads first. Others might scan the organic listings first. You want to be seen in both if possible.

2) Having an organic listing (or two) PLUS a PPC ad on the SERPs page means you are taking up even more real estate on the page which helps build brand and consumer confidence (not to mention eliminates "shelf space" that could be occupied by your competitors. The more a users sees your company, the more likely they are to click on your organic listing or ad than some other company who may only have an organic listing or a PPC listing (but not both).

3) Even though you might be paying for some PPC clicks, you will not be paying for nearly as many as if you only had a PPC listing (and no organic) because some percentage of the time people are now going to be clicking on your organic listings as well.

Saying you should stop PPC for a kewyord because you already rank for it with SEO is synonymous to saying stop paying for TV ads because you're running radio spots.

IMO you want to use as many marketing techniques for your sites as you can as long as they are driving traffic and provide a positive ROI.

Last edited by Social-Media; 14th October 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Social-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.