View Single Post
Old 4th June 2014, 10:00 PM   #6
DannyM

Quote:
It can be frustrating. There's nothing wrong with venting your frustration.
It certainly does help to have a place to convey stress with something.

Quote:
The reason why electricians and other repair-related professions require licenses (and typically bonds to cover the work you perform) is to protect your customers from honest accidents as well as incompetent work. Sure, many electrical repairs are simple and easily performed by non-licensed homeowners without problem. However, if you are paying somebody to come in and do the work you want to make sure that person is competent and won't burn your house down but if they do, at least you want to be able to recover for your losses against them (which is why the license often requires you to carry a bond).
This makes sense considering bad electrical work can leave a house ablaze either during or even long after the work has been done. Having someone with weight behind their work's quality is something I'd think everyone looks for whether it be from a license, certificate, reference, etc. Very helpful insight, thanks !

Quote:
all complication can easily sought out by proper plnning.
Going to take a guess at this means "This can all be worked out with proper planning and seeking out information channels".

Although I don't have a degree or a long life full of experience in business here in the U.S., I feel that I've gathered enough to weigh the option of starting a small business against just continuing to seek employment in my area. With the legal red tape, lengthy tax compliance, and risk vs security, it surely looks like a venture in futility with a high chance of coming out in the negatives as far as capital is concerned. I'd also worry about my health given all the stress and uncertainty. This is my situation being told of course as only I would know if I truly thought something was worth doing.

As stated in a previous post, my business plan never really got into a drafting stage. I became so frozen in fear, confusion and frustration over so many details both small and large that the thought of someone being able to start a business ( legally ) of any size was laughable, let alone accurately plan for one. I never expected it to be easy, but I also never expected to feel like I was doing a bad thing by trying to legally establish my own form of income outside a W-2 situation. If only I could live without money and paperwork .

If I do end up turning back to becoming a small business ( sanity forbid ) it seems more logical to become a freelance writer or programmer. At least then the licensing and regulation feels like it has breathing room. At first I didn't even consider that route since the apparent cut-throat competition and rates out there made it seem like an industry with an abundance of potential workers and a drought of actual work. Now it seems more realistic as I keep getting compliments on my writing even though I almost failed English and Literature in high school.

DannyM is offline   Reply With Quote