View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2013, 06:45 PM   #3
OptimizerMan

Send a message via Skype™ to OptimizerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveMac View Post
I wonder how this is working now , after the Search Engine revisions.. does anyone have an idea.?
Probably upside down given Google and all their stupid tricks.

One approach to ranking I rarely hear very much of is one that requires you to "pick your battles". By "pick your battles", I mean choose to rank your website for search terms that you have a chance of actually ranking for.

In other words, if you're a stock broker, and you have a stock broker website -- use your common sense and try to rank for a stock broker-related search term that is somewhat popular but that doesn't have 85 million competing search results.

I did this for a friend of mine years ago. He wanted to rank for "website design". With probably 100s of millions of competing search results, that probably wasn't a good choice.

So what I did is go down the search popularity list until I found a search term variation of website design that was popular but didn't have a trillion competing results. I chose "cheap professional website design". Unlike "website design", this term had only one to two million competing results. I was able to pick a battle I could win.

I presume I probably got my friend's website to the first page of Google, Yahoo!, etc. in about a month or two.

This is why local businesses should normally try to rank their website locally. That's where most of their business will be, and ranking locally is a lot easier than ranking nationally. Better to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a small fish in a big pond. Much easier.