View Single Post
Old 4th May 2015, 03:49 PM   #9
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

@grimdispatcher: that depends on what you mean by "improve your web presence." If the one consultant has the skills to implement what you're looking to do, there's no reason to hire a whole team. (I manage eight websites at my day job, mostly without any outside consulting/IT help... but I do make use of a lot of third party tools to make my job easier.)

On the other hand, if you have a large site and you're looking for a complete overhaul in a short time frame, a team might be a better bet. There are only so many hours in a day and only so much one person can do during those hours.

It also depends on whether the "improvements" you want to make are totally IT-related (i.e. infrastructure and functionality) or if there are marketing / communications / user experience aspects as well. If that's the case, an IT team (or at least an IT team alone) may not be your best bet. You're going to want someone with some UX and user-interface-design chops, you'll need somebody who knows about content, a designer and a digital marketer or two.

If your consultant combines all those skills in one body, they're what we call a "unicorn." Very rare. If they're someone you can easily work with, hold on to them, because you're unlikely to find another any time soon.

Otherwise, the team approach may be a better bet. (Just not all IT people on the team. )

My

--Torka