View Single Post
Old 9th December 2005, 04:16 PM   #1
copywriter

Default The Evils of SEO Copywriting

There seems to be a campaign to bash SEO copywriting and all the evil it represents. I've seen Bob Bly's blog and I've seen the ezine articles all over declaring that SEO copywriting is that same as serving two masters. That it is wicked and evil and should be abolished now before we are all struck by lightening.

Truth be known, I agree with them... in part. What people are proclaiming as SEO copywriting is nothing more than keyword stuffing. They have no plan for including keyphrases in their text, they don't take time to figure out which keyphrases work with what pages/types of copy/messages and they do nothing more than shove them in wherever they might even have a chance of making sense. THAT is not SEO copywriting.

SEO copywriting does not detract from the sales message IF it's done right. Not to toot my own horn, but I just had a client who manufactures treadmills, ellipticals and the like put up a page of SEO copy that shot his conversion rate up to 312%. Still wanna tell me that SEO copy doesn't sell?

Here's my stand: *IF* SEO copy is written the way it should be written, it does its job with selling and with aiding in rankings.

So where do you stand? Is SEO copywriting evil?